• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PAAK - New Phone warning!

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
/TLDR - I could have been locked out of my truck at the mall, after picking up my new iPhone

So, I carry a physical key for the Lightning, but not the MachE. Both are set up for PAAK, which I love. I just can't make myself stop carrying a truck key. For years, when I travel for work, after I park at the airport, I drop the physical key in my laptop bag so I don't need to deal with it all week. Then pull it out when I return. But with PAAK, I sometimes don't pull it out for a few days.

I traveled two weeks ago, then came home, and didn't take out the physical key until just last Friday morning. I went to the Apple Store and traded in my phone. As I got back to the truck, it struck me that if I hadn't pulled out the physical key, I might have been stuck. Of course, then it struck me that I could use the door code and backup password. But it did make me stop to think!
Sponsored

dkrueger

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I was worried about this as well. I have the Lightning as a work truck and a driver with it for the past few months collecting coastal data - he is currently in Florida with it and I am in Pennsylvania. I just got the new iPhone and when I opened the Ford Pass app and logged in the app asked if I want to set up this phone as a key. I'll need to wait until I am physically with the truck again to do the setup...

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I love the PAAK but it does need some tweaking. So what I did for some redundancy is got a small faraday pouch and put my key in it and have that hidden inside my truck where it’s really easy for me to get to but I think a person would be hard pressed to find it.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I did this last year when I traded in the iPhone. Got in the truck and used the passcode. Logged back into FordPass when I got home.

As long as you don’t forget your passcode it’s really a non-issue.

I’ve only had to use the key fob for service.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I love the PAAK but it does need some tweaking. So what I did for some redundancy is got a small faraday pouch and put my key in it and have that hidden inside my truck where it’s really easy for me to get to but I think a person would be hard pressed to find it.
IMHO everyone should do this. You never know when you may need emergency service, a tow or other situation where you need to hand the vehicle over to someone. This is such an easy thing to do. And instead of a Faraday bag you could remove the battery if you would rather.

E.g., after dropping my wife off at an appointment I had an hour to kill and thought about getting a tire rotation. I have the key in bag like you so that would have not have been an issue.

Sponsored

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
> I could have been locked out of my truck at the mall

Couldn't you have simply pressed the unlock button on the home screen?

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Thats assuming you can type your passcode in...

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
This is a reason I really like the NFC ’credit card’ keys that Tesla, Rivian and a couple others are using. Oh, crap… Don’t have my key and don’t want to hand the guy at the tire shop my phone…. Just pull the card out of the wallet. Actual situation I was in with my Lightning a few months ago. Picked up a screw in my front tire and I gently pulled into a Les Schwab to have it patched. No big deal, but had to give him my phone so he could pull my truck in the bay and then pull it up front for me after.

I like that I can use a keypad code to enter my Lightning and a password to start/drive it, wish my other vehicles had that. But a keycard would be nice or other solution beyond the antiquated and easily relayed/hijacked fobs. The one time I went to use the password on my Lightning I had a brain fart and kinda forgot it so had to type it in a few times. It was minor, I was just moving the truck and had left my phone inside and didn’t want to walk back in to get it.

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had the same issue at the dealer. We all figured out that day how to use Valet mode and they were able to do what they needed.

Sponsored

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had one of these pouches but after 6 months in the summer heat it failed. I was able to start the truck with the hidden key. I still needed the code to get in the door, but it took me a few weeks to figure out it was bad.

Not sure if it was the heat the killed it or I had a bad unit. Didn't want to try again so I wrapped the key if foil and put it back in the truck.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
WOW I had the same issue. I went to apple store to get my out f warranty iphone 8 plus battery replaced for $49 . They screwed up the phone replacing the battery so they gave me a new iphone instead for the same $49.

Went to the parking lot and realized PaaK no longer worked. :(

BUT, I'm an belt and suspenders guy. I keep a programmed FOB in a faraday bag in the lockable Console Vault in the truck along with my loaded "peashooter" ;) I also have password start programmed if needed.

I also have a F-450 and do the same with it, a lockable console vault with a programmed FOB in a Faraday bag.
Sponsored