• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Ford will be providing the June delay email next weekend.
its free, so nit much room to complain, except maybe they should’ve built up inventory before begining shipping to offset are annoyance,
Ford has had pathetic information regarding many aspects of things.

As for "free", I am reminded of the old adage that "nothing is so expensive as that which is free."
Sponsored

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
Ford shouldn't have opened an online ordering approach for these adapters. Instead, they should have sent them out according to vin sequence or build date based on purchase records.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Ford shouldn't have opened an online ordering approach for these adapters. Instead, they should have sent them out according to vin sequence or build date based on purchase records.
That would probably create a different problem. Not everyone needs or wants one. Perhaps they could sort the orders by VIN and ship them in that order, that way it's only going to the people who actually need them.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
That would probably create a different problem. Not everyone needs or wants one. Perhaps they could sort the orders by VIN and ship them in that order, that way it's only going to the people who actually need them.
GM may have the best solution. They are charging $25 for it to weed out the people who don’t need it but get it because it’s free.

TinBanks

First Name
Tin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
A2Z & Lectron vs FREE Ford Adapter:

The old saw applies - you's got 3 choices - pick two:

1. You want it FAST ?
2. You want it CHEAP ?
3. You want it WELL DONE ?

I got's my A2Z in March, not FREE, 2 weeks & works WELL.
What level charger does it work on?

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Santa will bring them ... but only if you've been good!

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I suspect Elon firing the entire group responsible for charging infrastructure had a part in the delays. It’s likely that they designed the adapter and we’re managing the production, whether in house or via a subcontractor.
There is no reason why hundreds of these could not be made daily or at least 50,000 over the last 90 days. Per chatGPTit looks like ford has sold 200,000:EVs so far though it seems like the Mach E number could be high.
Like others it’s not impacting my day to day use of my truck, but it would be nice to have so I could plan some road-trips,
Ford F-150 Lightning Supplier disrupts Tesla charging adapter shipments IMG_9871

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I wonder if the Rivian adapters look just like the Ford adapters?

BTW, Tom (State of Charge) said the Ford adapters are Made in USA.

A2Z and Lectron are made in China.
I believe I saw a post on X by a Rivian owner who received his adapter and it looked identical, but obviously looks can be deceiving.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
The adapters being discussed in this thread are for DC fast charging ONLY at Specific Tesla V3 supercharger locations.

There are many AC level 2 adapters to convert Tesla Destination chargers to J-1772 - but these are separate and significantly different.

Sponsored

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
Only used it so far on the Tesla 250 KWh units - Lightning won't take much over 180 KWh

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Is there more than Tesla supplying these?
Well Tesla gets the parts and raw materials from somebody, so one of its supiers could be the problem. But, realistically, the most obvious explanation of the delay is that the famously poorly managed company that is not known for its ethical behavior is slowing things down through incompetence or a lack of commitment to honoring it's deal with Ford.

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
It's certain that neither Tesla nor Ford actually manufactures them, so I think that any supplier issue comes from whomever manufactures them and/or their part and material suppliers. The bottleneck is most likely in getting them actually made. Logistics (packaging, shipping, etc.) shouldn't be much of a problem.

I don't think we really know how Tesla may be involved. Who is handling logistics and arranging manufacturing? Tesla, Ford, or both? Who designed the adapter? I'm not really sure, and frankly it doesn't really matter. It really comes down to the fact that they can't be made fast enough. Ford says they didn't underestimate demand, but that doesn't mean that didn't underestimate how fast the demand would happen. It also could be that the manufacturer overpromised.
I'm almost positive Tesla designed them and owns the IP associated with them. My guess is that it also does the assembly, but I don't claim to be sure about that.

And why does it matter? Because, if Tesla is the source of the delay, it could be deliberate to avoid having too many new customers added to its Supercharger network. Joe's Electical Doohickey Assembly, Inc. would have no such motive.

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
This is such corporate double talk BS. They're saying "It's not because we have too many orders, it's because our supplier can't keep up with all our orders."
Maybe it's because their supplier is screwing Ford and Ford can't change suppliers because it's Tesla. That would be a good reason for Ford to try to push blame on a supplier, especially one that may be deliberately delaying production.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Ordered Lectron Vortex on 6-14-24, 6-17-24 they say it "is on the way".
USPS:
Pre-Shipment, Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
SHAKOPEE, MN 55379 June 17, 2024, 11:27 am

UPDATE, actual ship on 7-2-24, rec'd 7-5-24.
Here are some pics of all sides of the Lectron Vortex and its boxing stuff and manual:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JXtKHoRtkP222rUc8
Very solid, good springs on levers. I am just too impatient for the Ford units to show up, when I want to travel cross country.

Some possible unlatching problems with Lectron Vortex discussed here:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/lectron-vortex-plug-available-on-amazon-vine.20100/
Sponsored

Last edited: