• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate will not close if the truck is locked

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
If the truck is locked and I attempt to close the tailgate by either pressing the tailgate button or the key fob the tailgate raises to the closing point, the horn honks (loudly) and the tailgate goes back down. My friend has the same truck with no such issue so I believe that it is not the norm.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or does anyone know if this is a settings issue or requires a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I have the same issue. If I open and close the tailgate and then unlock the doors the tailgate will open again and the horn beeps twice. I‘m going to try to figure out exactly what is happening next week. It’s pretty annoying.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
If the truck is locked and I attempt to close the tailgate by either pressing the tailgate button or the key fob the tailgate raises to the closing point, the horn honks (loudly) and the tailgate goes back down. My friend has the same truck with no such issue so I believe that it is not the norm.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or does anyone know if this is a settings issue or requires a trip to the dealer?

It's likely sensing an obstruction. Try closing manually. Also, note there is an Owner's Manual for this truck :) :

Closing the Tailgate From Outside Your Vehicle

You can close the power tailgate by:
  • Pressing the tailgate button on your remote control twice within three seconds.
  • Pressing the button on the tailgate once.
Note: A tone sounds while the tailgate closes.
Note: The tailgate stops and reverses if it detects an obstruction when closing.
Lift-to-Close
To close the tailgate automatically using lift-to-close, lift the tailgate approximately 4 in (10 cm) and hold it for a few seconds.
Note: If the tailgate position is more than halfway open, it may not close automatically.
Manual Close
You can close the tailgate manually when you lift the tailgate in a continuous motion.
If you stop the tailgate motion, the lift-to-close feature engages and power closes the tailgate.

Putting the Tailgate in Manual Mode
You can put the tailgate in manual mode through the vehicle settings in your touchscreen.
Note: In manual mode, the tailgate only opens by the tailgate release button on the tailgate and messaging is reduced.
Note: A pop-up message appears on the touchscreen if you press the tailgate button on the instrument panel when the tailgate is in Manual mode.

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's likely sensing an obstruction. Try closing manually. Also, note there is an Owner's Manual for this truck :) :

Closing the Tailgate From Outside Your Vehicle

You can close the power tailgate by:
  • Pressing the tailgate button on your remote control twice within three seconds.
  • Pressing the button on the tailgate once.
Note: A tone sounds while the tailgate closes.
Note: The tailgate stops and reverses if it detects an obstruction when closing.
Lift-to-Close
To close the tailgate automatically using lift-to-close, lift the tailgate approximately 4 in (10 cm) and hold it for a few seconds.
Note: If the tailgate position is more than halfway open, it may not close automatically.
Manual Close
You can close the tailgate manually when you lift the tailgate in a continuous motion.
If you stop the tailgate motion, the lift-to-close feature engages and power closes the tailgate.

Putting the Tailgate in Manual Mode
You can put the tailgate in manual mode through the vehicle settings in your touchscreen.
Note: In manual mode, the tailgate only opens by the tailgate release button on the tailgate and messaging is reduced.
Note: A pop-up message appears on the touchscreen if you press the tailgate button on the instrument panel when the tailgate is in Manual mode.
If the truck is unlocked and I repeat the procedure it closes properly. It only happens when the truck is locked. So, it cannot be an obstruction or it would not close properly whether locked or unlocked.

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
I have found the exact same issue. I must unlock the truck then close the tailgate then lock the truck. Very reproducible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives

Mine (2023 Platinum) has and still does the exact same thing ever since I got my truck this past January. When truck locked and tailgate down it has always done this, No obstructions, it’s just as if the truck forgets the position after a time out or power off on mine. If I have tailgate down and do not lock the truck it’s fine to power close. If I lock the truck I always get the full horn double honk. Was very annoying in the beginning, guess I just took it as a ford thing. So…you are not alone.

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine (2023 Platinum) has and still does the exact same thing ever since I got my truck this past January. When truck locked and tailgate down it has always done this, No obstructions, it’s just as if the truck forgets the position after a time out or power off on mine. If I have tailgate down and do not lock the truck it’s fine to power close. If I lock the truck I always get the full horn double honk. Was very annoying in the beginning, guess I just took it as a ford thing. So…you are not alone.
I will be going into the dealer for some recall issues if and when they ever receive the parts and I plan to bring up this issue to them when I do so. My hope is that they will have a lightning or two on the lot that does not reproduce this same event. I will report back to this thread when I do.

Tazzy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Retired

Same issue, but I have found that it only happens when the truck is locked and I start to close the tail gate and start walking to the cab. If I stay at the back of the truck until completely closes, no problem.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
But seriously, this is almost certainly an example of the whack way that software updates are being deployed. The huge variety of states (uh, sets of settings, not geopolitical divisions) that exist in the population of trucks will inevitably lead to these kind of rare problems that we become beta testers for.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Happens to mine also. 22 Lariat.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I have found the exact same issue. I must unlock the truck then close the tailgate then lock the truck. Very reproducible.
Just checked mine. When I got home I parked, opened the tailgate then shut off the truck. Locked the doors and closed them. Went to the tailgate and pressed its button. Tailgate closed without an issue. Checked and doors still locked. Didn't try any other permutations.

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just checked mine. When I got home I parked, opened the tailgate then shut off the truck. Locked the doors and closed them. Went to the tailgate and pressed its button. Tailgate closed without an issue. Checked and doors still locked. Didn't try any other permutations.
Thanks for checking. It certainly seems to be a selective problem that hopefully Ford can isolate and resolve.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you have a key on your person? It might make a difference.
Sponsored