• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tow to charge?

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
Hey everyone!

I am planning a business that may require me to have 2 vehicles and one of them will be my 23 SR XLT. It will likely be remote places, so I wonder:

Has anyone tried to tow your Lightning to charge it?

I saw some videos and thought: if I have a HD diesel truck, it may even be cheaper and quicker to tow charge the Lightning for parts of the journey. Thoughts? Experiences?

Edit:

Turns out that some places, including BC Canada, it is illegal to tow a vehicle that has persons inside. However, if a friend of a friend ever decides to go ahead with this heinous crime in some remote places, I'll ask them for the numbers and experience, for science.
The "heat event" may make the experiment an expensive one, but it would certainly make for an very interesting video. I'd definitely watch.
Sponsored

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
It’s a very easy experiment to do by simply using a very steep hill and letting gravity act as the tow vehicle. If it’s steep enough and long enough you’ll get massive regen.

OP
OP

jjerabek

First Name
Maros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Let us know your actual numbers when you give it a try.
Thank you for the theory and math, I was doing similar calculations haha. If a friend of a friend ever tries, in a remote location where it's safe ... for science ... I'll ask them for the numbers 🤫

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Why not have a tow dolly on the lead vehicle, put the Lightning front wheels on the tow dolly, and use the Lightning’s rear wheels for the regeneration?

That approach would provide a solid connection between the two vehicles (greatly reducing risks) while still providing access to the rear wheels for regen.

OP
OP

jjerabek

First Name
Maros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Why not have a tow dolly on the lead vehicle, put the Lightning front wheels on the tow dolly, and use the Lightning’s rear wheels for the regeneration?

That approach would provide a solid connection between the two vehicles (greatly reducing risks) while still providing access to the rear wheels for regen.
With 4 wheels on the ground, it pretty much just simulates going down an endless hill regenerating through and through. I wonder if doing the dolly with just the rear motor regen wouldn't freak the computer out. I guess there is no other way to find out besides trying.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
It’s a very easy experiment to do by simply using a very steep hill and letting gravity act as the tow vehicle. If it’s steep enough and long enough you’ll get massive regen.
It only gives you a fraction of the experience. There aren’t a ton of really steep and consistent downhills that goes for miles on end.

I’ve harvested downhill regen through the Appalachian and they pale in comparison to how quickly it recharges when being towed. That was the one thing that was unexpected was go quickly it charged while being towed.

neonoggie

First Name
Cas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Data Scientist
I am so looking forward to this You tube.
Engineering Explained did this with his Tesla Model 3 and the Straight Pipes Ford Raptor. The fuel economy was terrible as one might expect, but it definitely DOES work and could get you out of a pinch if you couldnt call in a tow or a portable charger.

OP
OP

jjerabek

First Name
Maros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Engineering Explained did this with his Tesla Model 3 and the Straight Pipes Ford Raptor. The fuel economy was terrible as one might expect, but it definitely DOES work and could get you out of a pinch if you couldnt call in a tow or a portable charger.

I forgot about that video! And in conjuction with what @Yellow Buddy said, I bet that if you have 2 vehicles going anyway and one is an HD diesel truck. It's gold. If a Tesla can do 1kW in 1km, I bet Lightning can do more, and a diesel HD truck can pull a lot more efficiently than a Raptor.

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
If you’re going to tow it to charge may as well plug it in with 120 to cab outlet (or 240v if other truck has pro power equivalent).

I’d be curious what the efficiency is of a eco boost 150 using its pro-power to charge a Lightning if it’s stranded.

BBB

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, focus, cmax energy.
Occupation
retired
Hey everyone!

I am planning a business that may require me to have 2 vehicles and one of them will be my 23 SR XLT. It will likely be remote places, so I wonder:

I saw some videos and thought: if I have a HD diesel truck, it may even be cheaper and quicker to tow charge the Lightning for parts of the journey. Thoughts? Experiences?

Edit:

Turns out that some places, including BC Canada, it is illegal to tow a vehicle that has persons inside. However, if a friend of a friend ever decides to go ahead with this heinous crime in some remote places, I'll ask them for the numbers and experience, for science.
Just buy a portable generator with a 50 amp 240v countinuous rated plug, not peak. Thats what i plan on doing for remote areas.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just buy a portable generator with a 50 amp 240v countinuous rated plug, not peak. Thats what i plan on doing for remote areas.
The problem is the amount of time needed to charge. Even if you had a 20kW generator putting out 80A, it would take 6 hours to fill from empty. It’s a good alternative if you were planning to stop anyway but not a great one for a constant fuel source.

Tclark5

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Hey everyone!

Edit:

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
A mile huh? Laggards! :) I used to push start my dead VW all the time - put it in neutral, give it a good running start (slight downhill never hurt ) jump in the moving car and pop the clutch with the ignition on! Would start right up every time - except that one time when the alternator was shot :(
Haha. It was dead dead and we tried bump starting it. Dragging it a mile did the trick!

met some good friends at college who all parked their cars on the same hill: 50’s trucks & station wagons, 60’s bugs, etc. all stick of course

OP
OP

jjerabek

First Name
Maros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Haha. It was dead dead and we tried bump starting it. Dragging it a mile did the trick!

met some good friends at college who all parked their cars on the same hill: 50’s trucks & station wagons, 60’s bugs, etc. all stick of course
I heard once that real men/women drive cars with 3 pedals 😉

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
that sounds like a real easy, dreamy idea, but it doesn't hold merit:

A) any 'portable' generator, if there even is such a thing, with 240v output, CONTINUOUSLY, for HOURS on END, at any amount of output, such as 30amps, would not only take a HUGE amount of fuel, but would not be 'portable' for any such a reasonable situation... it's just not reality. The weight of the generator, and the additional 'fuel' you now would need to CARRY in the truck, negates all the 'power' you might be able to generate. You've now wasted MILES to get where you are going, so you actually come up SHORTER than if you had NOT carried it to begin with.
Sponsored