• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unable to DC fast charge - red ring

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Marc, sorry to hear about your problems. Several of us that had issues with DCFC but we're able to charge on level 2 had our problems resolved when the actuator was replaced. Now, your problem seems a little different in that you are able to start a DCFC session, but has your dealer verified your actuator is working as designed?
Dealer hasn't verified anything yet. I am completely in the dark, hence searching forums for possible solutions so I can drive my brand new truck again some day.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I have a similar problem that has not been resolved. The truck charges flawlessly on Level 2. When DCFC it charges fine for a while, but the trips out and gives the powertrain malfunction/reduced power error. After that, I can no longer DCFC until the dealer resets the code. So far, it looks like I will then get one DCFC initiated successfully which will then at some point during the charge cause the error again.

I just bought the truck brand new, and it has only been DCFC twice and the fault has happened both times. First in my possession and then while back with the dealer. Again level 2 charging is unaffected.
Not that the info helps a ton, but the process of DCFC and L1/2 charging is completely different. the fact that one works and the other doesn't just really rules out the one common component, the battery pack. Even though they use the same port, they use different pins besides the communication. Good luck, I hope the service guy cares and can solve it soon for you.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Not that the info helps a ton, but the process of DCFC and L1/2 charging is completely different. the fact that one works and the other doesn't just really rules out the one common component, the battery pack. Even though they use the same port, they use different pins besides the communication. Good luck, I hope the service guy cares and can solve it soon for you.
I got word back late Friday. It has a bad DC charging module. Good news is, the part is in-stock in Ontario and the said they would have it fixed by the end of this week. Fingers crossed.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
If the broken charging actuator pin:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/tsb-22-2355-pdf.80021/
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 3 Charging - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs
TSB 22-2355, 19 September 2022

Also via NHTSA:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10233580-0001.pdf
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 3 Charging, Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs
TSB 23-2014, 01 March 2023
If the charging cord is removed from the charge port without the lock/release button fully pressed, this can damage the charge port locking pin actuator and disable level 3 charging for the next charging session. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace only the charge port lock actuator.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
I had the same thing happen at an Electrify America DC fast charger I've used 3 prior times.. got the red ring and charger indicated a fault. Unplugged it a few times and then swapped to another charger to get it to work..
It's fine on level 2 at home and will have to see what happens next time i visit a DC fast charger.

Rick
Sponsored