Sponsored

Understanding my usage and capacity numbers in Wisconsin sub zero weather.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Yes this or just time your charging to be immediately prior to your typical departure time, as charging (especially on 240v) warms the battery.

@Mike m as other have stated. Ignore the GOM, it's ~useless. Monitor mi/kwh and calculate on your own. Here is a reference matrix sheet I put together that shows as estimated effect of Speed / Cold. I have 19,000 miles on my Lightning and this is my second Wisconsin winter with it. I knew exactly what to expect and how to minimize cold weather range loss based on research prior to purchase, so winter driving has been a pleasant experience for me.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 12.08.29 PM.png
Love the chart.....are these the actual mileage as per the temp?
should we compare that to the Ford Pass DTE and over ride it with the chart? Example: my DTE is 322 and is 16 degrees outside. I should look at your chart and realize I really have 196 miles to battery dead after interpolation for highway driving?
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Love the chart.....are these the actual mileage as per the temp?
should we compare that to the Ford Pass DTE and over ride it with the chart? Example: my DTE is 322 and is 16 degrees outside. I should look at your chart and realize I really have 196 miles to battery dead after interpolation for highway driving?
100%. Yes.

As @TaxmanHog state the DTE or nicknamed GOM is ridiculously optimistic at 80+%. Once it drops below 80% it gets more accurate but it is still not very accurate

I dont even pay attention to it, other than to laugh at it. If planning a drive I use the calculations on this chart. If actually driving a distance where I need to worry about range I monitor my MPK usage per the direction and type of driving (interstate, mix, city) and calculate it out in my head.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
it is a great chart. People from Wisconsin can understand my comment. A few years ago my car said minus 32. I wonder if the lightning has ever been tested that low and is there a hardline on temperature. Best practice or voiding the warranty😎
Oh it's been tested, and performs fine. Just less efficient. There are a few Alaskans / Canadians on this forum that have driven and done trip reports (on this forum) in those conditions. They also think Wisconsin is balmy in Winter compared to theirs!

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I meant to ask this when you posted before, what is the definition of city driving here? My summer commute (with a mix of 35mph to 60mph) efficiency is usually in the 2.8 mi/kwh range.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I meant to ask this when you posted before, what is the definition of city driving here? My summer commute (with a mix of 35mph to 60mph) efficiency is usually in the 2.8 mi/kwh range.
I would consider it mostly sub 40mph with stop signs and or lights… but to be honest you are overthinking the chart. It is merely a rough estimate of expectations of the effect of temp and speed on range… not meant to be documentation of minimum and Maximum possible. Furthermore, to be honest most people aren’t worried about range when city driving in warm conditions. Also I did not alter the MPK for SR lightning so with the slightly less weight it would not shock me you get slightly better MPK.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arctic_czar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 lightning
We are on a road trip to Montana in a blizzard. [edit: 0 to 10 degree temps and heavy snow] Hwy driving at 1-1.4 MPK. Woke up this morning to a 90% charge and an estimated 150 mile range [edit: on my extended range truck].

The chart looks mostly accurate. Wish I had factored this into the range between chargers. It's really changed our trip

Ford F-150 Lightning Understanding my usage and capacity numbers in Wisconsin sub zero weather. Screenshot_20240118_080059_FordPass

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
We are on a road trip to Montana in a blizzard. Hwy driving at 1-1.4 MPK. Woke up this morning to a 90% charge and an estimated 150 mile range.

The chart looks mostly accurate. Wish I had factored this into the range between chargers. It's really changed our trip

Screenshot_20240118_080059_FordPass.jpg
Very surprised that it's using the most recent {poor}performance, still a little optimistic at 1.25 MPK

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
it is a great chart. People from Wisconsin can understand my comment. A few years ago my car said minus 32. I wonder if the lightning has ever been tested that low and is there a hardline on temperature. Best practice or voiding the warranty😎
Wow, we hit -40 F/C last weekend ... actual, not wind chill. Lightning worked well ... only a short trip to stock up groceries and used departure prep time.

OP
OP
Mike m

Mike m

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2013 platinum lightning
-40 does make Wisconsin balmy! I think you win the low telp prize unless someone from Fairbanks jumps in. :cool:

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
We are on a road trip to Montana in a blizzard. Hwy driving at 1-1.4 MPK. Woke up this morning to a 90% charge and an estimated 150 mile range.

Screenshot_20240118_080059_FordPass.jpg
Do you have the standard or extended range?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Extended range. I also have the max tow package and I'm wondering if the cooling fins further reduce the range in cold weather.
I don't think the extra chiller circuit has much if any negative impact in cold weather, aside from having a few more pounds of equipment, the condenser(s) up front are behind the air shutters, so no wind is crossing them in these conditions.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I have owned my 2023 Platinum since September. 3000 miles on it with no issues. Yesterday it was 1 below Zero and needed to make a trip approximately 50 miles each way. I am still learning real ranges but have realistic expectations of the impact from high speed, temperature, towing etc.. I bumped my charge to 100% for the trip.

First leg of the trip:
100% charge , 292 mile range to start. Started the truck while it was plugged in to warm up before leaving.
Heated seats on 1st setting, heated steering wheel on, fan on 4 at 70 degrees. Speed to destination was 65 to 75 MPH mostly highway. My gauge said 1 Kw for most of the trip. Usually I run around 1.7 and lower in the cold. Tire pressure is good. No wind and a flat road.
Traveled almost 50 miles to destination.
Arrived with 75% battery and my miles indicating that that I had 153 left. I was at a event for 4 hours.

Return trip:
Started at 75% and 143 miles. 7 degrees above zero and traveled in more traffic, 55-65 MPH. My gauge said 1.7 KW which is more normal.
Got home and had 50% battery 90 miles left. Trip was the exact route of the first leg approximately 50 miles

My questions are:

1. Is the first leg normal? Trying to understand the numbers?
2. Why was the second trip so much better?
3. Does the truck loose mileage range normal sitting in cold weather for 4 hours?

Thank you all for your feedback.
Mike
I'm thinking even though you say its flat and no wind, there was some wind and it may be a net uphill going there and a net downhill going back. My commute looks relatively flat but going to work is downhill and going home is uphill. but you would not realize this by observing it.

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
We commute from northern NJ to southern VT most weeks. In the winter, its often below zero.

The trip northbound has a fairly substantial elevation change, and lots of sections are indeed "uphill". Its 200 miles door to door, and we cannot make it in the winter on the northbound leg. We need to charge (which of course is always a crapshoot) and throw in another 50-75 miles..

The southbound leg has lots of downhill sections where we can recover some battery with one pedal, but regardless, we can usually make it on the southbound leg. So in our case, especially in dead of winter, elevation changes make all the difference,

Our neighbor in VT has a Model Y, he has exactly the same experience.... Can't make it northbound without charging in the middle of the trip....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
200 miles is clearly pushing it, yes.
Sponsored