• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who here had never owned a full-sized crew cab pickup before?

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA Sportage PHEV/2022 Aprilia Tuareg
Who here had never owned a full-sized crew cab pickup before?

This is more of an open letter to anyone who wants/wanted a Lightning, but was/is on the fence due to its size. Here I am, just a couple of weeks out from delivery on my Lightning, and I am seriously second guessing getting a vehicle this large. After a more recent test drive and then double-checking how much space it will take up in my garage, reality is sinking in a bit more. I have owned trucks before, just not ones this big. Turn the clock back several years ago, and I was looking at used F-150 Crew Cabs and came to same conclusion. Way too big. I ended up with a used first gen Ridgeline. I think the garage measurement really puts things into perspective for scope. It gets into your brain about daily driving and parking something of this size. I was just wondering how many folks here went through the same thought process before signing on the dotted line. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
There should be a happy medium, really.

I had an '18 Colorado Crew Cab for 2 or so years and thought there was plenty of room in the cab until myself and a buddy packed our bikes in the bed and our bags in the back seat on a road trip and it got small quickly.

Wound up leasing a '22 Frontier last February and eventually came to the same conclusion of the back seat of the crew cab being small.

The F-150 is my first modern crew cab full-size truck and it's definitely cavernous inside, which translates to a few questions of "can I fit in that parking garage?"

But after 11k miles, being 6'2" I have found to really enjoy the space the truck has, and don't think I could go back.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It needs a 20 foot garage and has a few inches to spare.

Have a 2013 SuperCab with 6.5' bed, same length.

Can't imagine ordering without figuring this out first.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, F-150h, various others
Occupation
retired
I have a '21 F-150 powerboost crew cab and TBH I would rather have a standard cab and an 8 foot bed but that is just based on how I use it. My truck is a tool and it spends most of its time parked outside.

If I need to, for charging when I get my Lightning, it will fit in my garage but I also plan to install a second charger in my driveway.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
My first truck was 1998 F-150 regular cab when I was 15. In 2014 I got a 2008 Honda Ridgeline as I wanted more space. It was perfect for me as I was single with no kids at the time. Now, I'm in my early 30s with a wife, two kids, and a dog. Decided years ago I wanted a F-150 supercrew as my next truck mainly due to the extra space. I should be getting my Lightning in Oct - Nov timeframe (the added benefit now is that it's going to be electric).

For each stage of life I simply got the truck I needed at that time.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ever since we had kids, I’ve owned supercabs with either an 8 or 6-1/2 bed. Before the Lightning was announced, I had decided that my next truck would be a crew cab with a 6-1/2’ bed. The Lightning kind of forced me into a shorter bed than I wanted. So far, I’ve made it work. It helps that I have a 16’ flatbed trailer available.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The ridgeline used to be the perfect truck.

Then, they decided to make it smaller, cheaper and less robust. The only option was to step up to an f150 and I haven't looked back.

Funny, someone was just complaining about charge port location for city curbside chargers. You'll be lucky to find enough space for a truck.

The lightning is a full sized f150, I don't see many people getting confused over how big it is.

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
This is my first full sized truck and I wasn't happy about it not fitting in my garage but I got over that about 4 seconds after stomping on the accelerator for the first time during a test drive of the dealer's mannequin. I've now come to the conclusion that the problem is my house and not the vehicle.

I live in the suburbs so the size of the truck hasn't been an issue for me during daily driving but I can see how it could negatively impact someone who lives in a more dense, urban area.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
If you decided a Crew Cab was way too big, a SuperCrew Cab is going to be way, way too big. ;)

bluefunoodle311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
This is my first truck ever. Well, it's really my wife's truck, but it's still way more truck than we will ever realistically need. But she loves it and I'm getting used to driving it here and there. I think if it weren't all-electric, I would hate it. Test drove a Silverado before settling on the Lightning and I felt ridiculous. I am a small to midsize sedan kind of guy and currently have a Bolt EV as my daily driver.
If the Lightning wasn't a thing, I probably would have gone with a Maverick Hybrid. My wife would have been pissed (size matters, apparently?).

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
We've owned a full-size crew cab truck in a semi-urban part Nashville for the last 5 years and intermittently before that. We're starting to get sick of dealing with the parking and maneuverability constraints of a full-size truck and are looking for a smaller SUV or mid-size truck like the R1T.

We have a large 25*35 garage at our current home but we've been house shopping and most garages we've encountered are only 20 feet deep. That leaves 8 inches of extra space if you're parking a Lightning. I think this is going to be a huge problem for the Cybertruck because a lot of MY/M3 drivers are going to realize their fancy new truck won't fit in their garage or the parking space at the mall.

This is obviously less of a problem in suburban and rural areas that are more accommodating to big trucks and SUVs.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
The first and last 20 feet of every trip is not fun. But everything in between is awesome.

Been driving a Super Crew since 2000 and parking in a 20' garage. You get good at it. Front camera and power folding mirrors on this truck make it slightly easier over my old trucks.

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum, Ford F250, Rivian R1S
I've always owned a F250 supercab, starting in 1977. I use the storage behind the seat, and cram folks in the back when I need the extra seats. Always have had a 8 foot bed. I haven't let go of my 2011 superduty. The 5.5 foot bed of the Lightning is a little short. But I bought the Lightning as a replacement for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am enjoying driving the Lightning. But I miss the Ground Clearance and ability to go off road like I did with my Jeep. And the shorter bed means I am glad I kept the superduty. Plus with the Superduty it is easier for me to do some long range trailering.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is my first full sized truck and I wasn't happy about it not fitting in my garage but I got over that about 4 seconds after stomping on the accelerator for the first time during a test drive of the dealer's mannequin. I've now come to the conclusion that the problem is my house and not the vehicle.
This ^^^

These 20' garages are ridiculous. My son's garage in Florida is too short (height) also, which is really absurd.

Pulling in my garage right now is a challenge. Truck doesn't fit in the single bay, so it goes in the double, next to a boat, which has a zero turn mower nestled next to it and the chute tied up. I have to pull in while maneuvering beside my 2013 F-150 that is for sale. Takes me 3 back and forth to get aligned so that I can pull in straight enough to go about 2 inches from the mower, and 3 inches from the right support post of the garage door. I have to fold the mirrors as I pass that.

I always make a 4x4 hard stop braced against the wall so that I end up with about an inch of space in the front as I don't want the license place bracket rubbing the wall. I have about 3 inches on the back when closing the door, and have to be straight, not angled at all.
Sponsored