Wrong tail light installed from factory

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I've had my truck since February of last year and never noticed my tail lights don't match. The drivers side is correct but the passenger side has the Lariat/Platinum tail light with the tailgate covered portion removed. The worst part is my 8 year old son was the one that noticed it while loading up some cardboard for the recycling place down the road.

I know that my truck sat at a Rouge parking lot waiting for tail lights due to supply constraints from info my that my sales guy told me at the time. Any other Pro's or XLT's have this issue?

I'm heading to my dealership tomorrow to have them order the right tail light @Ford Motor Company

Ford F-150 Lightning Wrong tail light installed from factory IMG20240630201845
Ford F-150 Lightning Wrong tail light installed from factory IMG20240630201835

Ford F-150 Lightning Wrong tail light installed from factory IMG20240630201841
Ford F-150 Lightning Wrong tail light installed from factory IMG20240630201825
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm not sure I see a difference?

Edit, oh a different backup design

Last edited:
Reactions: s_c
OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I'm not sure I see a difference?

Edit, oh a different backup design
Yup I didn't see it granted I've only hand washed it once and always go through drive thru carwashes and spend more time driving it then inspecting tail lights 😂

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Yup I didn't see it granted I've only hand washed it once and always go through drive thru carwashes and spend more time driving it then inspecting tail lights 😂
At least it’s not as bad as a mistake that Volvo did back in the 2000 model year with a V70 wagon I saw. Sales person was trying to figure out why the passenger side front parking light and turn signal did not work on a car that had just been delivered. I had to point out that the front passenger side light cluster was Euro spec while the drivers side was for North America (Canadian/US). Oopsie!!

One other thing I learned from Chrysler when my Dodge chassis came in wrong and did not match the monroney sticker (Which told me that the order was correct). They will not stop the assembly line if the correct part is missing (in that case a tilt wheel with cruise control) because it is too costly. They will use whatever component that they have and try to catch it at the end or expect the dealer to catch it when delivered. The OEMs have a process for correcting mistakes that make it to the dealer provided that the dealer reports it.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
My dad bought a new 1976 Chevrolet C/10 Custom Deluxe. It was a work truck; six cylinders, three speed manual, vinyl floor, no a/c, etc but the dash was a GMC Sierra model. In 1976 that probably only meant the logo was different but it certainly was strange.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Long ago, my mother ordered a car (Pontiac?) with power windows (an option back then). Went with her, signed papers. Driving home and I asked her why she got crank windows. She turned around and went back, window sticker clearly said power windows, as did paperwork, so they undid the purchase. She then bought a Cadillac.

Last edited:

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I am surprised at this, but mistakes happen. Especially outside the factory in which things are possibly not scanned and verified.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
My dad bought a new 1976 Chevrolet C/10 Custom Deluxe. It was a work truck; six cylinders, three speed manual, vinyl floor, no a/c, etc but the dash was a GMC Sierra model. In 1976 that probably only meant the logo was different but it certainly was strange.
It was the 70's so ... yeah :)

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
The dealership model is so broken went into the dealership this morning the service department wouldn't even look at the truck knowing there's only two screws to hold the tail light on I had to schedule appointment for later this week for them to check the part number to verify that it's wrong when all they have to do is look at the two XLT lightnings in the parking lot that don't have mismatched tail lights @Ford Motor Company. This is also the service department that took them 45 minutes to try to put a Lariat/Platinum dash mat on my XLT for that recall and most the time they just burn time to justify what they didn't have to do these guys were in and out of the lobby looking for part numbers and couldn't understand why it didn't fit

Last edited:

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Lol, since we are sharing. My 1st custom ordered was my 2014 RAM 1500. I wanted the Big Horn edition with longer 6' 4" bed in a crew cab with front bench seats, which was a odd combination. When it showed up it had the tradesman interior cloth, no power seats, and no dashboard 110 outlet the Big Horn comes standard with.

because it was missing all the harnesses, Ram paided for custom Katskin leather interior and lifetime 0 deductible warrenty.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I love Ford (I've a lot of relatives working there) but I've had two "custom order" problems. (I always order cars custom to the exact configuration I want.) 1. When moving back from living four years in Irelalnd, I pre-ordered a 2005 Freestyle with seven seats. (I.E., with a bench seat in the middle row.) I had to stay in Ireland a bit longer, so my wife and three young sons went to pick up the car. As they were about to drive out of the dealership, my youngest son said, "This car only had 6 seats; dad said it would have 7.") The order form was correct, but the car was mis-manufacured. The dealer reversed the paperwork and gave my wife a loaner car until Ford manufactured a new Freestyle." 2. In 2013 I ordered a Fusion with a manual transmission. When it came in, it was an automatic. Again, order form was correct, but the car was mis-manufactured. Had to wait a while while they built a new Fusion with a manual transmission. P.S. My 20222 Lariat Lightning is the first car I've ordered for myself with an automatic transmission. And I made my three sons all learn to drive on manual transmissions. Alas, they now all own F150's or Maveric's with automatic transmissions.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
:headbang:

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I think your son would become a good Engineer with his attention to detail.

Boeing could use his help even now.
Sponsored