• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE

Jmschewy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f150
So i picked up my XLT ER last week. i now have just under 400 miles on truck. temp has been between 40-60 degrees and my battery shows 210 rand at 90% battery. I would expect this from a SR not a ER. Driving mostly betwwen 40-65mph daily. Going to reach out to dealer and see whats going on.
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
  • How many mi/kWh are your trip meters showing?
  • Where does the consumption graph show your energy usage?
Don't take the range guesstimates too serioulsy until it gets good data about your driving style and weather, 40ºF is enough to show range reduction.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Not odd at all. Temps here between 40 and 60 and my ER battery is showing 99 miles at 42% - that extrapolates to 235. This forum is full of similar posts. Read how to reduce your climate usage and understand the usage graph like Amps said.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
So i picked up my XLT ER last week. i now have just under 400 miles on truck. temp has been between 40-60 degrees and my battery shows 210 rand at 90% battery. I would expect this from a SR not a ER. Driving mostly betwwen 40-65mph daily. Going to reach out to dealer and see whats going on.
Lariat ER. It's cold in Michigan.

Ford F-150 Lightning ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE Screenshot_20221117_132602

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Lariat ER. It's cold in Michigan.
Wow, that is about a 33% drop in range. GOM, beside temp, looking at your highway speeds for estimating range? Preconditioning (still trying to figure that out) accounted for?
My SR would be lucky to have 160 miles of range at 100%. Think I will move to Central America. Visiting my Mom in Detroit is out of the question for when below 50F!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Wow, that is about a 33% drop in range. GOM, beside temp, looking at your highway speeds for estimating range? Preconditioning (still trying to figure that out) accounted for?
My SR would be lucky to have 160 miles of range at 100%. Think I will move to Central America. Visiting my Mom in Detroit is out of the question for when below 50F!
My commute is 80% highway. I set my cruise to 74mph. I don't precondition anymore because of the glitch with the heated steering wheel.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
What is odd about your mileage? 40 degrees is warm, wait till it gets cold. I am seeing 170miles at 90% @20 degrees. I am fully expecting to see some days below 150 this winter.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Winter

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
From prior experience with other EVs, the winter range loss is more noticeable if you take lots of shorter trips vs a road trip. This is because it takes a good amount to get the battery and cabin up to temperature but after that, consumption can stabilize for the remainder of the trip. So doing that multiple times means more energy is going into heating vs driving. Pre-conditioning also helps, and with a bit of experience driving long distances in the winter will become more comfortable.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
This is my "range" after charging overnight.

Ford F-150 Lightning ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE Screenshot_20221118_083435

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
First rule of EVs: The range estimate on your display isn’t your actual range.

OP
OP

Jmschewy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f150
Yeah it looks like the range is dropped bad because of using heat. Shut off heat and drove around a mileage didn't go down. Charged last night and now I have 260 on 95% in cold.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Yeah it looks like the range is dropped bad because of using heat. Shut off heat and drove around a mileage didn't go down. Charged last night and now I have 260 on 95% in cold.
We sometimes forget about the big Plus that ICE gives us during cold weather - Engine Heat. The Lightning has to replace that with Battery Power.

The Screen I monitor during Winter is:

Profile/Trip Energy/This Trip.
% Climate % Driving %Accessories % Exterior Energy

For instance, yesterday, in Sub-Freezing weather my m/kw was indicating a 1.7. I had forgotten to turn off my E-Heat. My "This Trip" was showing 23% for Climate and only 60% for Driving. I then turned off E-Heat and Maxed Steering Wheel Heat and Seat(s) Heat (which are under % Accessories) and my m/kw immediately jumped to 2.2.

I also noted that % Exterior Energy stayed at about 17% for at least 1/2 hour after I started driving and only after that dropped to around 10%. In Cold Weather it takes a long time to Precondition (I do Precondition before leaving home but it has not been enough).

The Lightning cabin seems to be fairly well insulated and it does help to close off the Moonroof Header during cold weather. Normally what I do is run E-Heat at High for about 5 minutes before I leave home and then turn it off and just run the fan on High. That seems to keep my cabin temp fairly nice for an hour by just relying on Steering Wheel and Seat Heat.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Not quite.

The range is determined by many factors. A big factor is your recent driving history, which unless you drove a lot of miles yesterday, wouldn't have changed much. Another is temperature. Wake up when it's 20 and start driving, or wait until it's 50 and start driving, you'll see a different range.
Sponsored