Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm 99% sure that I saw the FCSP in the frunk of my dealers mannequin when I was looking at it several months ago. I suspect that Sunrun sent the FCSP to the dealer.
I would beware any mannequin that had the FCSP with it. It would make me suspicious that the dealership sold the truck to itself to collect the tax credit.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Complete opposite of my experience.
I picked up my Lightning Pro Demo/Mannequin from Zeigler Ford in Elkhart, IN.

All was as expected, except the truck had a couple of extra accessories on it - running boards and a roll-top bed cover. When we pulled up and I saw those on the truck, I thought they were going to charge me extra for stuff I didn't necessarily want, but they were more like "hope you don't mind, we already had those on the truck, so we would like to just include those at no extra charge if that works for you."

The truck was immaculately detailed (it only had a hundred-some miles on it). The battery was fully charged. The paperwork was completed efficiently. The customary extras and add-ons were presented courteously without pressure or wasting our time. The bottom-line number was exactly as negotiated.

Before we left, the salesman made sure I got my Fordpass app set up and he demonstrated some of the aspects of the Lightning that were going to be important for our road-trip driving it back to MN.

One of the best car dealer experiences I have ever had (thanks, David Beaty).

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER 1671474195826

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Ford dealers don’t care how much your are spending, it’s a truck meant to get trashed so that’s how they deliver it. I bet they would probably say “it’s a used truck, what do you expect”. Either way it gives you some time to show some TLC to your Truck and do it the right way.

OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
I would beware any mannequin that had the FCSP with it. It would make me suspicious that the dealership sold the truck to itself to collect the tax credit.
Good point
Complete opposite of my experience.
I picked up my Lightning Pro Demo/Mannequin from Zeigler Ford in Elkhart, IN.

All was as expected, except the truck had a couple of extra accessories on it - running boards and a roll-top bed cover. When we pulled up and I saw those on the truck, I thought they were going to charge me extra for stuff I didn't necessarily want, but they were more like "hope you don't mind, we already had those on the truck, so we would like to just include those at no extra charge if that works for you."

The truck was immaculately detailed (it only had a hundred-some miles on it). The battery was fully charged. The paperwork was completed efficiently. The customary extras and add-ons were presented courteously without pressure or wasting too much of our time. The bottom-line number was exactly as negotiated.

Before we left, the salesman made sure I got my Fordpass app set up and he demonstrated some of the aspects of the Lightning that were going to be important for our road-trip driving it back to MN.

One of the best car dealer experiences I have ever had (thanks, David Beaty).

1671474195826.png
Every dealer experience should be like that. Congratulations.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Even when the dealer has had the truck for 6 months?
A mannequin is just dealer stock, that is marked in their system to not be sold until a certain date. Ford submits your information to SunRun once you purchase the vehicle then they ship you the charge station pro. Weird process, but that's the deal they made with SunRun so they can quote installation services and all that. They will contact you to confirm shipping details and you can tell them you just want the charger.

Sponsored

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
A mannequin is just dealer stock, that is marked in their system to not be sold until a certain date. Ford submits your information to SunRun once you purchase the vehicle then they ship you the charge station pro. Weird process, but that's the deal they made with SunRun so they can quote installation services and all that. They will contact you to confirm shipping details and you can tell them you just want the charger.
Not true in all cases. My dealer took the vehicle, titled it and put it in as a "service loaner" that was rarely if ever loaned out.

When sold it'll be a used vehicle.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I don't think the dealer would be eligible for a tax credit. One of the eligibility requirements for the credit is" The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. "
I think a dealer would have a hard time arguing they did not acquire the vehicle for resale.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
One would think, when buying a vehicle at over $80,000, even though it has been used as a demo unit, that the dealer would pay even more attention to the delivery process and making sure the vehicle was absolutely detailed and cleaned before selling it. Well, that was NOT my experience when picking up my truck at AutoNation Ford Westlake OH. If this were any other purchase, and timing and scarcity were not in play, I would have refused delivery.

Here is a recap:

So all they did was quickly wash the truck, put on some tire shine, and run a damp rag on the inside.
  • Second fob missing. He will call me Monday
  • Told me both chargers were in the truck when I asked him to check last week - only had the mobile charger - no FCSP - he has to check
  • Trash left from drivers in the truck - including a brownie under the driver seat and paperwork from other drivers
  • Never washed or cleaned the glass on the roof or the roof at all - it was dirty
  • Found a paint defect on the roof - photo below
  • Lockable under back seat locking hardware was never installed - hardware still in package and one side will not flip up
  • Had to re clean entire interior - photo below particularly bad
  • Max phones were entered and still in Sync and I had to delete them one by one
  • Asked him to show me how the tonneau cover worked )it is a rolling one) and when he opened the back gate, trash and dirt in the bed. It had never been touched or cleaned
  • Stuff, including the mobile charger was just thrown in the frunk, liners not installed.
  • Told me the truck had 4,000 miles on it. Actually 4,700.
  • They activated some of the connected services in June of this year, so I am losing 6 months of those (email sent to Ford to see if those can be extended since I am the first "buyer")
  • Told me they were selling me the truck at MSRP, then they forgot to add $1,200 for the tonneau cover, but on the final purchase documents sent to my credit union, did not add it again, so when I show up to take delivery I am told I need another $1,200 to pay because they missed it, and the credit union loan does not include it.
But . . . I do have my truck. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the dealer yet on this experience - I had no issues with my salesman, he was helpful other than making sure I had a clean and perfect vehicle at delivery. I spent three hours detailing the truck myself as best I could - good thing I have a heated garage where the truck barely fits. But I couldn't open the tailgate to clean the bed. This is NOT my regular dealer. This is just where I found a Lightning with what I wanted to be able to buy before year end and still get the tax credit.
IMG_0670.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0888.jpeg
IMG_0677.jpeg
Damn, with everything you went through and the truck being rapid red, if I didn't know any better I'd think I know where you picked it up...was it in Ohio?

And as far as the phones and sync already being setup, I would have simply done a master reset and also reset the Ford Pass link just in case it had been previously activated. You don't want any leftover connections or data. You can reset the entire system in settings.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I'm 99% sure that I saw the FCSP in the frunk of my dealers mannequin when I was looking at it several months ago. I suspect that Sunrun sent the FCSP to the dealer.
If there were license plates on the mannequin, then it may well have been reported as sold. Some states require this for demos and/or loaners.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Damn, with everything you went through and the truck being rapid red, if I didn't know any better I'd think I know where you picked it up...was it in Ohio?

And as far as the phones and sync already being setup, I would have simply done a master reset and also reset the Ford Pass link just in case it had been previously activated. You don't want any leftover connections or data. You can reset the entire system in settings.
Yup. Ohio. They never set it up in FordPass.

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
One would think, when buying a vehicle at over $80,000, even though it has been used as a demo unit, that the dealer would pay even more attention to the delivery process and making sure the vehicle was absolutely detailed and cleaned before selling it. Well, that was NOT my experience when picking up my truck at AutoNation Ford Westlake OH. If this were any other purchase, and timing and scarcity were not in play, I would have refused delivery.

Here is a recap:

So all they did was quickly wash the truck, put on some tire shine, and run a damp rag on the inside.
  • Second fob missing. He will call me Monday
  • Told me both chargers were in the truck when I asked him to check last week - only had the mobile charger - no FCSP - he has to check
  • Trash left from drivers in the truck - including a brownie under the driver seat and paperwork from other drivers
  • Never washed or cleaned the glass on the roof or the roof at all - it was dirty
  • Found a paint defect on the roof - photo below
  • Lockable under back seat locking hardware was never installed - hardware still in package and one side will not flip up
  • Had to re clean entire interior - photo below particularly bad
  • Max phones were entered and still in Sync and I had to delete them one by one
  • Asked him to show me how the tonneau cover worked )it is a rolling one) and when he opened the back gate, trash and dirt in the bed. It had never been touched or cleaned
  • Stuff, including the mobile charger was just thrown in the frunk, liners not installed.
  • Told me the truck had 4,000 miles on it. Actually 4,700.
  • They activated some of the connected services in June of this year, so I am losing 6 months of those (email sent to Ford to see if those can be extended since I am the first "buyer")
  • Told me they were selling me the truck at MSRP, then they forgot to add $1,200 for the tonneau cover, but on the final purchase documents sent to my credit union, did not add it again, so when I show up to take delivery I am told I need another $1,200 to pay because they missed it, and the credit union loan does not include it.
But . . . I do have my truck. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the dealer yet on this experience - I had no issues with my salesman, he was helpful other than making sure I had a clean and perfect vehicle at delivery. I spent three hours detailing the truck myself as best I could - good thing I have a heated garage where the truck barely fits. But I couldn't open the tailgate to clean the bed. This is NOT my regular dealer. This is just where I found a Lightning with what I wanted to be able to buy before year end and still get the tax credit.
IMG_0670.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0888.jpeg
IMG_0677.jpeg
Patiently wait for survey. Then let it out.

I also disagree that it’s not the salesman. Good ones eyeball and check it out themselves… and put things in order. He was probably courteous but he wasn’t top of his game
Sponsored