Sponsored

Don't use EA's website to plan your trip...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I recently complained to EA that their charger status (working / broken, etc.) was not accurate. I pointed out about a month ago that the Wytheville, VA location was closed due to the Sheetz gas station being redeveloped, and that this was reflected on PlugShare, but not on their app or website. They opened a ticket...

On a recent trip, I complained again that it was not accurate. I got a response that shocked me, but not from the chat agent who opened another ticket...

Their social media account said "However, the Electrify America website does not show the real-time status of our chargers - it only shows the location and amount of chargers at each station. Real-time charger status and updates can be found within the Electrify America app."

I asked where this notice / disclaimer appeared, and got back a response - "I've submitted your feedback to add that functionality to our website."

I've been using a combination of desktop tools for trip planning - including PlugShare, ABRP, and the EA website, which now is basically useless to me.

So don't use the website to see where chargers are, unless you're going to crosscheck on the app and PlugShare.
Sponsored

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
That Wytheville station… showed available in the app the day I planned on charging there, when I found it was closed. And it showed as open for at least 2 weeks afterwards. I emailed them, told them they needed to up their game. I got a reply that are “working diligently to improve the customer service experience, blah blah blah. “

Interestingly, in the plug share app (which I looked at afterwards) the Wytheville station said it would be closed.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That Wytheville station… showed available in the app the day I planned on charging there, when I found it was closed. And it showed as open for at least 2 weeks afterwards. I emailed them, told them they needed to up their game. I got a reply that are “working diligently to improve the customer service experience, blah blah blah. “

Interestingly, in the plug share app (which I looked at afterwards) the Wytheville station said it would be closed.
Yup. The EA app now shows it closed. And PlugShare was updated by EA... I told them that updating their own app should be top of the list also. "We are working diligently..."

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I hadn't checked out their website yet, only used the app. And the app itself isn't 100% either, as I noted Friday when I had to top up. Several stations showed as unavailable, however the one I tried did work using plug N charge.

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
About a week ago the station at Brugh’s mill country store wouldn’t initiate from the EA app. I continued on to Roanoke where I used a painfully slow EVgo charger. Then again to Blacksburg to another slow EVgo charger. On the way back I tried Brugh’s Mill again, but this time I turned Ford plug and charge on. The truck talked to the station and it charged. I paid more than I would have using my membership through the app, but I charged.

Spent the night in Staunton, tried their EA station in the morning, only two units functioning and a line of cars waiting to charge. Continued on to Troy VA, the EA there, unit one charges at about 35KWH, STILL!. I reported that to them 4 months ago. Another email, another “diligently working” reply.

I like their charging speed, but if I have another high speed option I try that first.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I hadn't checked out their website yet, only used the app. And the app itself isn't 100% either, as I noted Friday when I had to top up. Several stations showed as unavailable, however the one I tried did work using plug N charge.
I had a a similar experience at Scranton. App said down, but plug N charged got it going for a few minutes. After that it networked errored out and let me charge for free! Thankfully it was mostly back to working for my return trip a few days later. 150kW units were working normally, but the 350kW unit were in power limit mode.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Good to know! Last year I have used their website and lucked out with it on long trips out of state. PlugShare is definitely a must have app. Now I just use my phone and apps.

Taking a trip from Tahoe to Redwood national park as soon as we get some dry weather. I will have to use EVgo in combination with EA to make it there. There are actually some high speed chargers free on California Freeways at some rest stops. I ran into one a month ago on 395 coming back from Death Valley, but I was in my Bronco 😂

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
That Wythville station was like an oasis in the DC fast charging desert of south western Virginia. I needed it for a trip up into West Virginia... and plugshare helped me determine it was closed. Chargers in West Virginia are few and far between.
Sponsored