First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The yellow indicator on the right of the FCSP status bar indicated reduce charging requested
Thanks! I was wondering why I had that yellow bar on the right while the rest of the LED flashed blue. I couldn't find the meaning for the multi-colored indicator on the Internet but I found a key for solid FCSP colors.
https://content.fordpro.com/content/dam/fordpro/us/en-us/pdf/charging-products-list/80a/80A-Charger-Trouble-Shooting-Guide.pdf

Is there a way to send a PID instruction to the truck to override the FordPass setting for changing that isn't working (ignorance showing here). I read another forum post that suggested truck inverter settings could affect deliverable power, e.g. charger current requested PID.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! I was wondering why I had that yellow bar on the right while the rest of the LED flashed blue. I couldn't find the meaning for the multi-colored indicator on the Internet but I found a key for solid FCSP colors.
https://content.fordpro.com/content/dam/fordpro/us/en-us/pdf/charging-products-list/80a/80A-Charger-Trouble-Shooting-Guide.pdf

Is there a way to send a PID instruction to the truck to override the FordPass setting for changing that isn't working (ignorance showing here). I read another forum post that suggested truck inverter settings could affect deliverable power, e.g. charger current requested PID.
I'm not a forscan expert.

This is the chart in the FCSP installation guide.
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1703373983346

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
The proper battery test takes 2-3 hours, so be prepared to wait or just drop it off and pick it up later.
Sorry to be off topic but can you expound on this. If you remember, you helped show that my failures were not due to low SOC but low capacity. It did finally install Thursday but I had an appointment with the dealer on Friday I kept. They just hooked up a handheld battery tester, set a parameter or two, hit a button and a few seconds later reported the battery was good. Here is the test result. Says the battery produced 488 CCA (rated for 380). What's the 2-3 hour test?

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1703382141159

Reactions: GDN

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Sorry to be off topic but can you expound on this. If you remember, you helped show that my failures were not due to low SOC but low capacity. It did finally install Thursday but I had an appointment with the dealer on Friday I kept. They just hooked up a handheld battery tester, set a parameter or two, hit a button and a few seconds later reported the battery was good. Here is the test result. Says the battery produced 488 CCA (rated for 380). What's the 2-3 hour test?
That test is not thorough enough. If that one fails, they can't claim a new battery under warranty with that. They have to hook it up to the Rotunda tester that takes much longer to complete. That quick test doesn't measure capacity.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
The update was canceled and recalled by Ford. This is not a bad thing. That I know of, three Mach E's, two F150's and one Bronco have been bricked by a recent OTA. I have not able to obtain the VIN for any of these cars nor do I know which update caused the problem, but maybe this is why the update was canceled by the cloud. I just did this update to my truck this morning with FDRS with no issues. In your case, it was failing due to low SoC/capacity, but at this point, the OTA trigger is no longer active. You would have to wait for it to be resent to you.

1703352096205.png
Could also be a pause for the holidays. I work in telecom and we freeze the network of changes and updates around holidays. We don’t want someone causing a mistake or outage around a holiday.
Ford may not want a risky update bricking trucks over Christmas.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Could also be a pause for the holidays. I work in telecom and we freeze the network of changes and updates around holidays. We don’t want someone causing a mistake or outage around a holiday.
Ford may not want a risky update bricking trucks over Christmas.
That could be, but did they do this moratorium during Thanksgiving as well?

If it has bricked some cars/trucks, then it’s a wait and see what happened from the dealership/field. As I recall, in order to replace parts under warranty you need to create a ticket and authorization needs to be given. This way Ford can figure out what models were affected and work with the OE to get a fix worked out. Depending on the component, Ford may not have made it. So they wouldn’t be the OE.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm not a forscan expert.

This is the chart in the FCSP installation guide.
My remark about the PID request was more or less addressed to any reader of the thread who might know. Next time I'll phrase such queries as "Does anyone know ..."

Where did you get the LED chart? I had previously looked over ~all the documents on the Sunrun field website ( Field Website - Ford EV Charger (google.com)) on installing and troubleshooting the FCSP and the Home Integration System. I didn't find ANY chart on the meaning of ANY of the FCSP LED indicator colors. For instance, the following document on the installation and wiring of the FCSP has nothing: Ford Charge Station Pro Installation and Wiring SOP - INS-SOP-0158 - Google Slides. One would think, since Sunrun is the official installer of the Home Integration System, that they'd have the color chart somewhere, at least under "Troubleshooting," but they don't, AFAIK.

If there is a Ford site similar to the Sunrun field website for the FCSP and the HIS unit, it would be great to know about it since your source for the FCSP LED indicators is clearly better than the Sunrun site.

Edit_Update: Found the link to the Ford website that contains the PDF for the installation of the FCSP. The link to the PDF is Ford-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf (fordpro.com) (or https://content.fordpro.com/content...ord-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf), but if I try ascending that URL to higher levels to get a complete list of documents available directly from Ford, I get 404 FORBIDDEN errors. Thanks if there is a working link to a list or a search engine for Ford documents regarding Lightning equipment.

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks if there is a working link to a list or a search engine for Ford documents regarding Lightning equipment.
The answer to my question appears to be the following for Ford Lightning documents in general.
  1. Go to the following site: https://www.fordpro.com/en-us/
  2. Search on the Ford product you want a list of documents for, e.g., Ford Charge Station Pro.
  3. In the Search hit list, find a link like this: Ford Pro™ Electric Vehicle Charging Products List | Ford Pro™
  4. Pick the LEARN MORE link for product you want from the page provided by the link.
  5. Scroll down the page resulting from the Learn More until you reach the SUPPORT dropdown at the bottom.
  6. Clicking on SUPPORT will bring up a list of relevant support documents for the product you selected.
    1. e.g., https://www.fordpro.com/en-us/charging/ecommerce-product-details/FPC-AC0019ZC-UDB (scroll down to the Support dropdown)
So, the Ford Pro site gives a more focused, drill-down approach to finding detailed product support information than the consumer-facing Ford.com site, IMHO.

Last edited:

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
2023 ER Lariat still sitting on 6.4.
Wouldn't know an update if it bit me in the ...

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
BTW, based on one datapoint, refreshing the FordPass app seems to refresh the LVB SOC % at Ford.com
Wouldn't say that I have ironclad data yet, but I've got more evidence that refreshing the FordPass app (swipe down from top of screen on iOS) updates the LVB %SOC at my Ford account dashboard: Ford Account Dashboard | Ford Owner Support .

Here's what typically happens that seems to show updating the FordPass app refreshes the LVB %SOC on Ford.com.
  1. Log onto that site. (you get the circular Ford loading icon).
  2. Just for good measure, refresh your browser page view.
    1. Did this on the worry that I just loaded a cached page in logging in initially.
  3. You should find the refresh, step 2, doesn't change the displayed LVB %SOC. And it likely won't match the LVB %SOC read by a OBDII scanner if some time has passed since the FordPass app was last refreshed.
  4. Now refresh your FordPass app Home screen.
    1. A FP bug. When 1st opening your FP app, it may say the screen is up-to-date, but you'll invariably find on waiting a bit that it's not.
    2. I wait 10 to 15 sec here after manually refreshing before the next step.
  5. Go back to your open browser and refresh your Ford dashboard.
  6. You should now find the Ford.com LVB %SOC matches the scanner read LVB %SOC.
I've now done this test about a half dozen times and found each time that the Ford.com page only shows the correct, current LVB %SOC right after step 4, while waiting 25 or 30 min between tests while charging my LVB.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It makes sense that it would, refreshing the app causes connection to the truck, which is through cloud servers. The truck wakes up, reports information back to the servers - some at Ford.com and some on your app. Logging in to ford.com doesn't cause this connection.

Add on top of this that Fords systems are cobbled together and slow to react and it may take a few actions sometimes for the truck to wake up and report information and that information get shared around the servers.

mikee179

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
I logged in and love seeing that on the ford.com. I haven't done the leg work to see if it matches my true 12v battery SOC, but I can tell you it doesn't match my HVB SOC. The number of miles do match though. So I'm still really wondering if it is LVB or HVB.

However, this could take the cake for one of the dumbest things Ford has ever done.

I wonder if they realize we are even driving an EV? You put the "Charge Level" front and center on a web page where I log in, of course I think that has to be the HVB SOC. The HVB SOC is what 99.99% of EV owners talk about. I've never heard a Kia owner or a Tesla owner worry about or talk about the LVB SOC. Only Ford owners, like us, because Ford can't manage it and install SW.

To say the least - who puts that anywhere without clearly labeling that is the LVB/12V SOC.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 5.11.00 PM.png

IMG_5498.PNG
If you use the web developer tools in Safari or Chrome, you can see the raw response from the "status" web service that provides this data.

JSON:
{
    "vehiclestatus": {
        "vin": "****",
        "uomDistance": 1,
        "odometer": {
            "value": "12931",
            "status": null,
            "timestamp": "2024-01-04 15:21:05Z"
        },
        "fuel": {
            "fuelLevel": 0.0,
            "distanceToEmpty": 0.0,
            "timestamp": "2024-01-04 14:56:05.294Z",
            "quarterRange": null
        },
        "battery": {
            "batteryHealth": null,
            "batteryStatusActual": {
                "value": "12.5625",
                "timestamp": "2024-01-04 14:56:05.294Z"
            }
        },
        "oil": {
            "oilLife": "STATUS_GOOD",
            "oilLifeActual": 100,
        },
        "tirePressure": {
            "value": "STATUS_GOOD",
            "timestamp": null
        },
        "batteryFillLevel": {
            "value": 92.0,
            "quarterRange": "FULL"
        },
        "elVehDTE": {
            "value": "229",
        },
        "TPMS": {
        }
    }
}
Seems like this could be a common service that provides data for ICE vehicles as well maybe ("oil", "fuel" in the response) and thus it just hasn't been sufficiently contextualized for EVs that need a distinction between battery types.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
If you use the web developer tools in Safari or Chrome, you can see the raw response from the "status" web service that provides this data.

JSON:
{
    "vehiclestatus": {
        "vin": "****",
        "uomDistance": 1,
        "odometer": {
            "value": "12931",
        },
        "fuel": {
            "fuelLevel": 0.0,
            "distanceToEmpty": 0.0,
            "quarterRange": null
        },
        "battery": {
            "batteryHealth": null,
            "batteryStatusActual": {
                "value": "12.5625",
            }
        },
        "oil": {
            "oilLife": "STATUS_GOOD",
            "oilLifeActual": 100,
        },
        "tirePressure": {
            "value": "STATUS_GOOD",
            "timestamp": null
        },
        "batteryFillLevel": {
            "value": 92.0,
            "quarterRange": "FULL"
        },
        "elVehDTE": {
            "value": "229",
        },
        "TPMS": {
        }
    }
}
Seems like this could be a common service that provides data for ICE vehicles as well maybe ("oil", "fuel" in the response) and thus it just hasn't been sufficiently contextualized for EVs that need a distinction between battery types.
Cool, I had to dig around to find the right panel and used the search for "battery" to narrow it down on the status , it matches the 74% SOC for the LVB, and predicted GOM range value of 223 and shows my the LVB voltages 13.375

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1704390651010