First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
As an EV owner and independent BEV consultant that drives an average of 1k miles/month, I think @Ford Motor Company has simply identified a moment in time on the change curve for US consumers, Resistance. People further ahead on the change curve that have started to explore the possibilities and opportunities of EV ownership are experiencing much greater success than ever imagined.

Why? Because an alarming amount of the information “pushed” out for public consideration is fear-based and mostly false.

Although I took delivery of my first-ever BEV in October of 2023, I anxiously placed the order in May of 2021. Now, with three years of research, fact finding, testing, measuring, reporting and ownership experience, I have landed on the most valuable and effective approach to combat misinformation and unintentional ignorance when I’m asked about my 2023 Ford F150 Lightning.

My answer to EVERY question asked of me by clients or the general public?

“Everything you have ever heard or read about this truck is false. Ask me why.”

My BEV ownership experience with this truck far exceeds my initial expectations and continues to improve as performance updates are added to the vehicle. I use the at-home charging system as my primary source for power, and use my truck as my “daily driver” so I have only needed to use public charging twice. My electricity bill has gone down due to Time Of Use pricing from my electric provider (0.056 per kWh from 11 pm to 6 am) and my gasoline bill is $0.00 each month.

Current Stats:
10,000 miles
2.5 miles per kWh
4000 kWh used
$0.056 per KWh
$224 total cost
$0.0224 per mile

In an effort to keep this post shorter, I’ll let you decide if just over two cents a mile is worth the effort to learn more about BEV ownership.

Ask me why!
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
IF we could all enjoy the factors that contributed to your cost of operation !!!

I'm loving my '22 Lightning Lariat ER, but simple facts are 33.3 c/kwh and time of use pricing for energy is not offered by my utility, this fact makes the experiences of every forum member unique and in some cases not so advantageous.

6109 miles = 17.9 c/mile

Ford F-150 Lightning $0.02 per mile! 1729605810945-pb

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
agreed: my 'at home' easy pricing for overnight charging, for both our LIGHTNING and our KIA EV9 runs an average of $2.50 per day, and that's mainly because my wife commutes 65 miles per day in her KIA to work and back...

when traveling, especially when towing our camper, our 'average' DC Fast Charging runs about .25cents per mile, including any 'at home' charging before the trip, etc. Still, not a bad cost, and generally still less than 'gas' vehicles, on a good day.

I just had my 50,000 mi LIGHTNING checkup : $40 for a x-pattern tire rotation, but the tires still look GREAT, and their measurement of the brake pads are still FAR below the average vehicle's usage over those amount of miles... no oil change. no transmission fluid check. no radiator fluid requirements. Nothing.

So, it's certainly not 'just' the $2.50 cost to operate these vehicles during normal weeks, but also the ZERO cost of typical 'gas' maintenance requirements.

This is the FIRST and only time my LIGHTNING has graced the doors of a Ford Dealer.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Yes, always being able to charge at home and not needing to drive or tow over your EV range each day makes EV ownership a no-question decision, especially at only a $.056 cost per KWh. I may be mistaken, but most areas are not that cheap though. I have fortunately only ever had to charge at home also. For us early adopters, it's kind of a wash though in comparison to non-EVs with cost per mile since the price of the truck with no rebates/discounts was at a premium.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My entire savings in fuel is negated by the AZ vehicle license tax (based off MSRP). Going from a $22k vehicle to an $80k vehicle was a 5x increase in my annual fee. That said, I'd do it again.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
no doubt, as the 'road tax fee' most of us now have added to our annual Vehicle Registration($200+ here in Georgia), needs to be integrated into this overall 'annual' average.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
We in Calif get screwed with the price of gas and with the price of power.

Los Angeles uses their own power co. LADWP. I’m allowed 700 kWh every 2 months at a cost of .23 including tax. Once I go over their are 4different tier rates. Fortunately I’m still in tier 2 with anything above 700 kWh is .26 with tax. Since I land in the 1000 kWh range with house and truck.

Still much cheaper than my gasoline at approx 4.60 diesel Sprinter @ 12mpg. Or 4.30 regular Nissan NV @ 6mpg.
with my Lighting Pro and Flash I’m at 2.5mpkwh so roughly .10 a mile.
Plus it’s much more comfortable to drive.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
IF we could all enjoy the factors that contributed to your cost of operation !!!

I'm loving my '22 Lightning Lariat ER, but simple facts are 33.3 c/kwh and time of use pricing for energy is not offered by my utility, this fact makes the experiences of every forum member unique and in some cases not so advantageous.

6109 miles = 17.9 c/mile

1729605810945-pb.jpg
Yes . . I wish my electrical provider (PG&E) had $0.056 per KWh , mine is more like 10x that...

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
We in Calif get screwed with the price of gas and with the price of power.

Los Angeles uses their own power co. LADWP. I’m allowed 700 kWh every 2 months at a cost of .23 including tax. Once I go over their are 4different tier rates. Fortunately I’m still in tier 2 with anything above 700 kWh is .26 with tax. Since I land in the 1000 kWh range with house and truck.

Still much cheaper than my gasoline at approx 4.60 diesel Sprinter @ 12mpg. Or 4.30 regular Nissan NV @ 6mpg.
with my Lighting Pro and Flash I’m at 2.5mpkwh so roughly .10 a mile.
Plus it’s much more comfortable to drive.
Yes, our problem is the state's CPUC which uses a revolving door for retired PG&E, LADWP, and San Diego Edison. CPUC is supposed to look out for consumers, but gives freebies to the power companies. Thank god for ex commissioner Loretta Lynch, a beacon of truth

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
As an EV owner and independent BEV consultant that drives an average of 1k miles/month, I think @Ford Motor Company has simply identified a moment in time on the change curve for US consumers, Resistance. People further ahead on the change curve that have started to explore the possibilities and opportunities of EV ownership are experiencing much greater success than ever imagined.

Why? Because an alarming amount of the information “pushed” out for public consideration is fear-based and mostly false.

Although I took delivery of my first-ever BEV in October of 2023, I anxiously placed the order in May of 2021. Now, with three years of research, fact finding, testing, measuring, reporting and ownership experience, I have landed on the most valuable and effective approach to combat misinformation and unintentional ignorance when I’m asked about my 2023 Ford F150 Lightning.

My answer to EVERY question asked of me by clients or the general public?

“Everything you have ever heard or read about this truck is false. Ask me why.”

My BEV ownership experience with this truck far exceeds my initial expectations and continues to improve as performance updates are added to the vehicle. I use the at-home charging system as my primary source for power, and use my truck as my “daily driver” so I have only needed to use public charging twice. My electricity bill has gone down due to Time Of Use pricing from my electric provider (0.056 per kWh from 11 pm to 6 am) and my gasoline bill is $0.00 each month.

Current Stats:
10,000 miles
2.5 miles per kWh
4000 kWh used
$0.056 per KWh
$224 total cost
$0.0224 per mile

In an effort to keep this post shorter, I’ll let you decide if just over two cents a mile is worth the effort to learn more about BEV ownership.

Ask me why!
I also just passed the 1 year/10,000 mile threshold and have experienced the same thing as you. I charge at home ($.12/kwh) and have DCFC'd only 9 times on 3 out of town trips.

10,000 miles
2.5kwh
.$0.12/kwhr at home
$0.47/kwhr DCFC (3 trips, 1,200 miles)
$573 total cost
0.06 per mile

My 2012 Chevy Avalanche would have cost $1667 at about $0.17/mile so I've saved over a $1000 in fuel costs in a year. Note that $190 of the $573 was for the three out of town trips where I had to use DCFC. DCFC's are expensive and as a consequence on out of town trips the gas vs electricity costs are basically the same. (with gas at $2.75/gallon)

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Yes, our problem is the state's CPUC which uses a revolving door for retired PG&E, LADWP, and San Diego Edison. CPUC is supposed to look out for consumers, but gives freebies to the power companies. Thank god for ex commissioner Loretta Lynch, a beacon of truth
Agree about the corruption in our California Public Utilities' Commission (apostrophe added by me to indicate who owns the Commission -- it ain't us regular citizens). For a while, there was a way around the extortion: Solar. Now the bureaucrats and politicians have poisoned solar panel ownership for most citizens (NEM 3), but those of us who got panels before they changed the rules have an opportunity cost of each kWh used which is around $0.03 to $0.08. So, each mile has a net "fuel" cost of a nickel or less, not counting the taxes.
Sponsored