• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any range gain within spare removed?

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I would have said that until a few years ago when I hit a bump on a dark road that damaged a tire to the point of needing replacement. Had to call roadside assistance because I couldn't loosen the lugnuts.

A year ago, when my wife's Lightning had less than 7,000 km (under 4300 miles), she had a blow-out on an expressway at 100 km/h (60 mph). Safely came to a stop but needless to say needed roadside assistance as the tire was shredded.

One never knows what the future has in store for them.

My Focus Electric has no spare (no place for it since they shoe-horned the battery into an ICE vehicle body) but has a small compressor with a repair cartridge. Nice to have a compressor always with you, as slow as it is, but thankfully (or luckily) I've never had to use the repair kit to see if it works. It's getting close to seven years old now, so I believe it should be replaced. Something on my to-do list.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Then they provided a jack that can't safely lift a three ton vehicle.
Really?! What happens to the jack if I try to use it? Will it crumble? If it damages the truck by failing will Ford be responsible? Now I see why people were talking about bottle jacks, I'll have to move my bottle jack from the garage to the truck.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Really?! What happens to the jack if I try to use it? Will it crumble? If it damages the truck by failing will Ford be responsible? Now I see why people were talking about bottle jacks, I'll have to move my bottle jack from the garage to the truck.
I can't say for sure, not having used it myself. That was the opinion of the tow truck driver that came when my wife had a blowout on her Lightning.

Looking at it, I'm thinking it may work fine in "ideal" conditions, but would be dubious in a typical roadside situation.

As for what would happen - I suspect Ford would just claim you didn't use it as intended and you would have to prove otherwise.

Sponsored

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
This January we had a very cold day here and I think an ice storm or something - doesn't really matter. There was a section of asphalt on the highway that wasn't rated for whatever it was. There was a roadside emergency sign that said "Warning pot holes mile xxx." And oh yes, there were. This was through rural NW Indiana. There were HUGE chucks of the road just missing. The potholes were massive, with some of the running all of the way across both lanes four feet wide and about 4 inches deep. All new damage. I'd gone that way just a couple of weeks before and everything was normal. Traffic was thin, so I just stayed away from other vehicles and weaved around them the best I could, but many were unavoidable. It was about a 15 mile stretch that had the issue. We counted EIGHT cars with popped tires on the side of the road. State Police were there helping people put on spares. Nearest place to get a tire was probably 30 miles plus away.

We were gone two nights and got back to that section after dark. As soon as I told my husband I thought we were about to the potholes - BOOM - the car I was right behind popped their tire. Luckily they had put quick patches on the rest of them.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Ford made a big thing about the Lightning being the only EV pickup with a "full size spare" as standard equipment (Rivian and Tesla made it an option) for the reason that as a working truck, it may be likely that one may be in a place with a flat where roadside assistance is a long wait or not an option (no cell service to call).

Then they provided a jack that can't safely lift a three ton vehicle.
I used the provided jack a few weeks ago along 1-10 just outside of Benson, AZ. It took about a million rotations but it did the job eventually.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Well, you can ask the upcoming owners of 2025 model year since the spare has been removed as a Standard option.

MrH42

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, 2023 Subaru BRZ
Well, you can ask the upcoming owners of 2025 model year since the spare has been removed as a Standard option.
Exactly. I'm guessing the 2025 model years are not going to have more advertised range.

A spare tire cover is not going to make a difference either. If $10 worth of plastic could improve the range of the truck, Ford would have done it.

The car world is very competitive. If there was a cheap, simple solution for extending range, Ford would have done it. Even 20 or 30 extra miles of range they could advertise would be a big win.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I was thinking of put it in the bed just for ease of access.
I have a couple of thoughts on that… I don't think it will help. Yes it will be easier to access but how often do you have a flat tire and need to use the spare?

cons: occupies the bed, it's exposed to the sun and will get dry rot, you're carrying the same amount of weight, and it makes the area behind the axles much rougher with a big hollow empty space that would act like a parachute aerodynamically.

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Seems to be a lot of cost-cutting lately, they're getting rid of the keypad on the door too. I use mine literally every time I drive

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Not sure exactly how much improvement I got, but I feel the underside is quieter and the airflow is definitely smoother by putting a hard plastic cover on the spare. Looks better from the rear too.

Don't remove the spare, aero will be significantly worse. Bumper would act like a parachute. Best to smooth the air with this since weight isn't a big consideration.

This one fits perfect and I've had zero issues for a year now.

Hummer H3-33" Rigid Tire Cover (Plastic Face & Vinyl Band) - Black Textured
https://a.co/d/5vjUYAW

IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8238.jpeg
Some one should make a aero cover for the rear and any open spots in the front.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Not sure exactly how much improvement I got, but I feel the underside is quieter and the airflow is definitely smoother by putting a hard plastic cover on the spare. Looks better from the rear too.

Don't remove the spare, aero will be significantly worse. Bumper would act like a parachute. Best to smooth the air with this since weight isn't a big consideration.

This one fits perfect and I've had zero issues for a year now.

Hummer H3-33" Rigid Tire Cover (Plastic Face & Vinyl Band) - Black Textured
https://a.co/d/5vjUYAW

IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8238.jpeg
Is Your spare tire + wheel the full-size or the temporary use (smaller) version?