Sponsored

Can't buy a vehicle if it is going to strand me

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
Long time lurker with occasional questions and posts. Closer everyday to pulling the trigger on an EV truck. Found a '23 untitled dealer demo with 2k kms on it for a pretty good deal. Except it is 3000km from me on the other side of the country. Probably would have it shipped but am entertaining a road trip to get it. (with NACS adapter).

I have followed the high voltage battery issue that a not-small-number of users seem to have developed. I would be excited to be driving an EV with all the benefits and understand the downsides about range/charging/winter. My ultimate issue is this: I can't spend $$ on a new car that is going to run the risk of stranding me. While that is a theoretical risk with any car, I wouldn't be worried if I was going to pick up a Toyota highlander or a replacement honda Ridgeline, or any other ICE car. I do a fair number of road trips through the year, and this would be an excellent family vehicle. But if I end up stranded, in the middle of nowhere, a million miles from home, and have to get towed to a dealer and sit for weeks with parts and all the horror stories I've heard about this. And if it hasn't happened to you yet, a real and uncertain risk of it happening over the life of the battery, even if it is warrantied.

Lots of great stories on here of successful long distance road trips. I'm on a tight leash here, maritally and financially, to buy a reliable vehicle that we will enjoy. I would lose any credit in the marriage bank if we end up stranded roadside in Moose Jaw. (no offense to people from Moose Jaw, I'm sure it is lovely, just making a point).

Am I stupid to buy a Lightning if I am not willing to run the risk of this happening?
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Prior to owning a Lightning Iā€™ve been stranded a couple of times by ICE F-Series trucks that were only a few years old and still under their powertrain warranty. Blown turbos, transmission shifting issues etc. It was a big reason why I shifted to a Lightning, because all the issues I experienced with a ICE powertrain are not present in the Lightning.

Certain brands are known for better reliability, but thereā€™s not a single car out there that can be 100% guaranteed free of large mechanical issues. Thatā€™s why every brand comes with a warranty to cover the vehicle being properly built.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If something happening in an EV would lead to a divorce that wouldn't lead to a divorce if the same thing happened in an ICE, don't get the EV. Example: ending up in a shop for 45 days which is happening to Toyota trucks as we speak.

The most unreliable component of almost all EV's that would get you stranded is... the 12V accessory battery. Keep a jump pack with you!

For long trips, you need to be willing to do a little advance planning like you would do to select a hotel. Even with a NACS adapter which is a big help, you need to map your route and know which of the Supercharger sites actually support the adapter - there are some deserts.

I perceive my EVs to be more reliable than ICE's in the long term. No transmission, belts, or oil to change and keep contained in an engine.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My Subaru Legacy stranded me 3 times due to it eating up the battery. Also had an issue with it not wanting to release the key from the steering column. Let me tell you, when it's 110F outside, you don't want to be sitting in the car for 5 min trying to get the key to release. Oh, and since the car wouldn't start, no A/C when the battery died. At least IF the powertrain poops the bed, you can still turn the truck on and be comfortable. Ask your significant other what the back up plan is if the ICE breaks down mid road trip.

https://autos.yahoo.com/fords-self-clogging-1-0-140105093.html

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
I understand your concerns but not your logic.

no one wants to be stranded.

But it is an actual fact, a statistical fact that all cars have the ability to leave you stranded.

How can you make any assumptions about whether one vehicle or another? Does it more often? Just because of self-reported stories on the Internet?

I have owned over 30 some vehicles in my lifetime.

And I am a nerd so I spend time on forums/message boards for every car I have ever owned.

never seen any that didnā€™t have complaints and issues posted daily.
If you are aware of some, please share! I want to buy a perfect car

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Am I stupid to buy a Lightning if I am not willing to run the risk of this happening?
cautions, sure

a little overreacting, maybe

all vehicles can and may leave you stranded. An EV in reality is not any more likely to do that.

My phev Escape never left me stranded but the constant recalls from Ford that the engine could start a fire and they had no plans on how to repair or replace over three years worth of those engines was scary, but it never died.

Keep in mind your lighting purchase will have an 8 year warranty on the battery (or the mileage if you drive a lot), so you are protected if something happens. Will you be inconvenienced, sure but it is not like it is happening in wide numbers.

I love my Lightning and if the battery goes, I will love the loaner car while Ford is fixing it.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
If something happening in an EV would lead to a divorce that wouldn't lead to a divorce if the same thing happened in an ICE, don't get the EV.
if you get a divorce because a car broke down, get the divorce now cause you ainā€™t really in love and happyšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
If you look at any online car forum you will decide not to buy the car. There is a huge selection bias, only a tiny percentage of car owners care enough to post about their vehicles ā€” unless they have a problem and then that percentage jumps to nearly 100%.

From what I can see there are not a large number of issues with the Lightning high voltage battery, nothing at all comparable to something like the Kia Theta II engine failures. I havenā€™t really noticed any trends in the failures reported on the forum, just the various bad luck things that happen with any mass production item.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I'm on a tight leash here, maritally and financially, to buy a reliable vehicle that we will enjoy.
If you have doubts, walk away.
Absolutely agree and it has nothing to do with the Lightning. Buy an ICE that your spouse chooses. Then, you will have realistic expectations when it strands you. ;)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Lots of great stories on here of successful long distance road trips. I'm on a tight leash here, maritally and financially, to buy a reliable vehicle that we will enjoy. I would lose any credit in the marriage bank if we end up stranded roadside in Moose Jaw. (no offense to people from Moose Jaw, I'm sure it is lovely, just making a point).

Yes, you are stupid to buy a Lightning in the scenario you describe.

If you're on a tight financial leash, I can't imagine why you're considering it. I won't comment on your marriage issues.

We have put a combined 30,000 Mach-E miles and 10,000 Lightning miles. The Mach-E had a major failure (HVBJB) on a 12 day trip, on day 2. We limped along for the rest of the trip with very slow DC fast charging. A major inconvenience, cost me at least 14 hours of my time. It could have simply failed, and then we would have been up the creek.

Our Lightning had a major failure right after two trips, battery array failure. 54% power, couldn't have done a trip like that. Took weeks to fix (diagnose, order, replace) and months later still no software update to complete the work.

These are new vehicles. They have issues from time to time. Your criteria and these vehicle are in total conflict. Don't buy one.

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Long time lurker with occasional questions and posts. Closer everyday to pulling the trigger on an EV truck. Found a '23 untitled dealer demo with 2k kms on it for a pretty good deal. Except it is 3000km from me on the other side of the country. Probably would have it shipped but am entertaining a road trip to get it. (with NACS adapter).

I have followed the high voltage battery issue that a not-small-number of users seem to have developed. I would be excited to be driving an EV with all the benefits and understand the downsides about range/charging/winter. My ultimate issue is this: I can't spend $$ on a new car that is going to run the risk of stranding me. While that is a theoretical risk with any car, I wouldn't be worried if I was going to pick up a Toyota highlander or a replacement honda Ridgeline, or any other ICE car. I do a fair number of road trips through the year, and this would be an excellent family vehicle. But if I end up stranded, in the middle of nowhere, a million miles from home, and have to get towed to a dealer and sit for weeks with parts and all the horror stories I've heard about this. And if it hasn't happened to you yet, a real and uncertain risk of it happening over the life of the battery, even if it is warrantied.

One takes a chance with Anything Mechanical, My brand new Class 8 truck Volvo 860 5,000 miles and the motor blew...

Stuff happens like others have said...you need to have a competent and good Ford Mechanics, if you're local or within a 30 mile radius, Ford shop can't do the work wouldn't even touch a lightning

Sgt. Carter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER (511a) Star White
Range anxiety is the biggest issue with doubters. If you have a problem out in the middle of nowhere youā€™ll take a beating because itā€™s an EV. Not so much if itā€™s an ICE vehicle. My lightningā€˜s been great, but my wife has terrible range anxiety. So Iā€™m trying to help her with baby-steps and shorter trips. No matter what anyone here tells you, the decision is yours - go with your gut.
Sponsored