• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge port door opened by itself??

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hello,

Today while stopped at a red light my charge port door open by itself. It wasn’t windy and it’s actually a decent weather (upper 40s) and sunny. I know the charge port door was closed properly because it is flushed. I am
Wondering if anyone have this issue and is this an easy fix or do I have to wait along time for replacement parts.

Didn’t have this issue with the Mach E.
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Grimlems. Stop truck. Walk around truck twice. Stand in front of truck and say. Grimlems, grimlems go away, jump on another truck today. Glad I could help.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Hello,

Today while stopped at a red light my charge port door open by itself. It wasn’t windy and it’s actually a decent weather (upper 40s) and sunny. I know the charge port door was closed properly because it is flushed. I am
Wondering if anyone have this issue and is this an easy fix or do I have to wait along time for replacement parts.

This happened to me once a couple weeks ago. I also am confident it was closed as confirmed by my security cameras. Hasn't happened again. No idea why.

OP
OP

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This happened to me once a couple weeks ago. I also am confident it was closed as confirmed by my security cameras. Hasn't happened again. No idea why.
Thank you sir. I guess I’ll just wait and see, trying to avoid dealer service department as much as possible.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
It's due to a false latch. It happened to me while sitting in the truck in my garage. The mechanism can appear fully latched and the door completely flush with the fender and yet it'll be only partially precariously latched. Sorta like the 747 cargo door defect, except that failure came with a bit more explosive decompression 😬

OP
OP

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's due to a false latch. It happened to me while sitting in the truck in my garage. The mechanism can appear fully latched and the door completely flush with the fender and yet it'll be only partially precariously latched. Sorta like the 747 cargo door defect, except that failure came with a bit more explosive decompression 😬
This make sense thank you for this.

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum
Did yours fall off too because of broken clips?
Clips are not broken but if you bump it while wrapping the cord up, it'll pop off. It was embarrassing when showing some Chevy friends of mine, they had a laugh. I'll need to come up with something to keep it from popping off. I think I saw a video where a guy used double sided tape.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Clips are not broken but if you bump it while wrapping the cord up, it'll pop off. It was embarrassing when showing some Chevy friends of mine, they had a laugh. I'll need to come up with something to keep it from popping off. I think I saw a video where a guy used double sided tape.
I was thinking a little silicone caulk would do the trick.

Sponsored

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
Hello,

Hi there, I just received my 2023 lightning two weeks ago and this has happened three times. First few times in garage and driveway. Third time at a grocery store when I found it opened. There were scratches at bottom, someone probably hit it with their vehicle not knowing charge door was open. When I got home the door was off completely. But I found it a few houses down on the street. I have a new one on order with Ford. This door definitely needs a recall. What it needs is a lock (like a Tesla charging port, which is a better design, sorry Ford).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi there, I just received my 2023 lightning two weeks ago and this has happened three times. First few times in garage and driveway. Third time at a grocery store when I found it opened. There were scratches at bottom, someone probably hit it with their vehicle not knowing charge door was open. When I got home the door was off completely. But I found it a few houses down on the street. I have a new one on order with Ford. This door definitely needs a recall. What it needs is a lock (like a Tesla charging port, which is a better design, sorry Ford).
After successfully making vehicles with fuel filler doors for decades, it’s hard to imagine how Ford mucked this up…..but they did.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
After successfully making vehicles with fuel filler doors for decades, it’s hard to imagine how Ford mucked this up…..but they did.
Well, remember, with these trucks people are opening/closing their charge port doors 2x-10x as many times as a standard fuel door. I have had this happen to me.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely.

My hypothesis is not putting enough pressure when closing it creates a loose latch. 🤷‍♂️

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Well, remember, with these trucks people are opening/closing their charge port doors 2x-10x as many times as a standard fuel door. I have had this happen to me.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely.

My hypothesis is not putting enough pressure when closing it creates a loose latch. 🤷‍♂️
My 13 Explorer has a push to open, push to latch door that has been actuated many more times than both of my Ford BEVs combined (so far) and it has never failed to either open or close & latch.

Honestly, after about a month or so with my Mach-E and a week with the Lightning, I rarely (but not never) have an issue. In addition to enough pressure, pressing directly over the latch mechanism is key.
Sponsored