• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging apps question

designthis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat SR Black 8/21/23 blend
Occupation
Builder
Trying to decide whether to get an Emporia home charger or the new Tesla Universal charger. Having never had an EV, I was wondering if it’s worth considering spending a little more for the Tesla charger because the app that you’d use with it might be better than the Emporia app? Or am I totally mistaken? Would I only be using the Ford app regardless of which charger I use? Honestly pretty sick of all the different apps in my life and kind of hoping the Ford app does it all.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Trying to decide whether to get an Emporia home charger or the new Tesla Universal charger. Having never had an EV, I was wondering if it’s worth considering spending a little more for the Tesla charger because the app that you’d use with it might be better than the Emporia app? Or am I totally mistaken? Would I only be using the Ford app regardless of which charger I use? Honestly pretty sick of all the different apps in my life and kind of hoping the Ford app does it all.
Many folks rave about the Emporia, I'm clueless about Tesla products.

Confirming that your expecting the Lariat-SR, a good quality 48 amp unit should serve you well

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Honestly, for at home use, unless you have a need or strong desire for a smart unit, you should look for a "dumb" EVSE. Just plug in to charge, no muss, no fuss, no app, and lower cost. If you need to manage charging times, the truck can do that, through that can be a bit finicky.

OP
OP

designthis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
Yes, Lariat SR Blend date 8/21. But I’m not hopeful I’ll be seeing it until October... But I guess my main question regarding charging is: do you use the app that comes with the charger? Or do you only use the Ford app to monitor and schedule charging—regardless of which charger you own?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes, Lariat SR Blend date 8/21. But I’m not hopeful I’ll be seeing it until October... But I guess my main question regarding charging is: do you use the app that comes with the charger? Or do you only use the Ford app to monitor and schedule charging—regardless of which charger you own?
I use neither. I plug in when I need a charge and I have the truck set to stop charging at 90%. That said, I do not have a time of use plan for electricity costs, so I don't need to schedule the charge.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
All your scheduling, if you're in a TOU region can be programmed in the truck or via FordPass, regardless of type of EVSE

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Recently switched to the Emporia and I don't look at the app unless it loses connection with my router, which is my router's fault. Get a consistent charge rate regardless of outside temp. Lately I've been using the Ford app to "top off" my battery before my ride in because it's getting a little colder in NH at night and I'm losing miles between when the truck hits 90% and when I leave.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I use neither. I plug in when I need a charge and I have the truck set to stop charging at 90%. That said, I do not have a time of use plan for electricity costs, so I don't need to schedule the charge.
+1

Set it in the truck and don’t worry about the app.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
FordPass can't control any charger but the Ford Connected Charge Station and the Ford Charge Station Pro. It DOES control the vehicle - hours of charging, and max SOC. However, you can also set things in the truck, and it's more reliable.

Depending on the EVSE you buy, use of an app is helpful to change the charging level. I have two JuiceBox chargers, and their app notifies me if I don't plug in at the set time, if my vehicles start charging, stop charging, and it also lets me see, and set, the level of power each gets.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
One consideration is if you plan on getting another EV in the somewhat near future that would use the NACS portion of the universal. If you don't plan on upgrading/replacing/adding a NACS capable EV in the next 5-8 years then I wouldn't recommend the universal charger. Very good odds there will be something out at that point that will be better/more efficient. I'm keeping an eye on it as I foresee a NACS EV for the wife at some point in the next 3 years and my FCSP isn't NACS friendly. Would be nice to have a back up for the Lightning if the FCSP craps out.

Sponsored
OP
OP

designthis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
FordPass can't control any charger but the Ford Connected Charge Station and the Ford Charge Station Pro. It DOES control the vehicle - hours of charging, and max SOC. However, you can also set things in the truck, and it's more reliable.

Depending on the EVSE you buy, use of an app is helpful to change the charging level. I have two JuiceBox chargers, and their app notifies me if I don't plug in at the set time, if my vehicles start charging, stop charging, and it also lets me see, and set, the level of power each gets.
OK. This discussion has been really helpful.
I’ve learned that you don’t need a charging app to charge a Lightning. Awesome.

But having a good app can give you insight into what’s going on with the charger. In my case it’s 100 ft away in my driveway. So if i forgot to plug it in or it somehow fails during charging, a good app will let me know. This seems very handy!

Even tho I’m kind of a Tesla hater, I’m guessing they have the most robust app. And since Ford seems to be hopping on board with their charging standard, it seems like a Tesla charger and app might be useful for the Lightning down the road...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OK. This discussion has been really helpful.
I’ve learned that you don’t need a charging app to charge a Lightning. Awesome.

But having a good app can give you insight into what’s going on with the charger. In my case it’s 100 ft away in my driveway. So if i forgot to plug it in or it somehow fails during charging, a good app will let me know. This seems very handy!

Even tho I’m kind of a Tesla hater, I’m guessing they have the most robust app. And since Ford seems to be hopping on board with their charging standard, it seems like a Tesla charger and app might be useful for the Lightning down the road...
The Lightning will never have the Tesla port. Any charger you buy today with a J1772 port will work for your Lightning.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
+1

Set it in the truck and don’t worry about the app.
I'd rather use the app for the EVSE. I've woke up to a non charged truck numerous times because I've relied on the truck to start the charge. I've never had an uncharged Mach-E in the morning with the app controlling the charge settings.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Do the Tesla. It will be forward compatible considering it's the NACS standard by default. Also, they nailed that product. No question in my mind.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Would I only be using the Ford app regardless of which charger I use?
I never really use any app for home charging once the "newness" wears off. I have the car set to charge to 85% at home. I plug it in when I park. When I go to leave, it's at 85%. The only time I open the Ford app is to tell it to charge to 100% when I have a long trip the next day. Or to remote start it. The only time I open my charger app is when I want to change the amperage of the charger, which I almost never do.
Sponsored