Erratic charging from 85% - 90%

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
What was the SOC when you picked it up at the dealer? How many KMs on the truck? It can be the battery pack may be a bit out of sync from sitting and inconsistent charging, or from a number of things already mentioned.
If the pack is a bit out of sync from sitting or just because it is new, it should settle under normal, regular use.

OP
OP
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID4 pro S, possibly '24 Lightning Flash
What was the SOC when you picked it up at the dealer? How many KMs on the truck? It can be the battery pack may be a bit out of sync from sitting and inconsistent charging, or from a number of things already mentioned.
If the pack is a bit out of sync from sitting or just because it is new, it should settle under normal, regular use.
They charged it to near full for me, I think it was at 99% when i got it.

Glad to hear posting this that no one else had seen it before. These EV forums are pretty handy sometimes when dealers don't have answers

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Ok, is no one asking about this little item? Which update added this? Have a 2022 and have been missing having this useful piece of info when charging.

Ford F-150 Lightning Erratic charging from 85% - 90% Untitled

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Ok, is no one asking about this little item? Which update added this? Have a 2022 and have been missing having this useful piece of info when charging.

Untitled.jpg
Comes with all 2024 Lightnings, when we will see it as an OTA, no one knows......

Sponsored

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I saw my 2023 Lariat ER do something like this, though not as extreme when on a 7kW charger, one time. I usually don't bother watching it. The Ford app shows a steady number that decreases as the charge state goes up.
I recently was charging at an EVgo and it went quite fast but while I had it set to 100% the charge stopped at 97%. I suspect the truck said "enough for now" and the charger shut off before the truck said "i'm ready for more". When charging I hear fans going to cool the battery.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Very, very seldom would we need to DCFC to 90 or 95, but I still wanted to see what it looked like as there's still some stretches here where I live in BC (entire province is mountainous) where you're ~250 kms between chargers that can do over 50kw....so for when we are towing, it becomes more of an issue.
I know I'm kind of late to this conversation. And I 100% love driving my lightning, and highly recommend it as a city truck. But if this is a worry I don't think the lightning is the truck for you. Consider a powerboost instead. Or wait for the powerboost to be a PHEV, or look into the Ram Charger in the next couple years when it launches. Especially when it gets cold in BC, even with the heat pump on the 24, you're going to suffer a range hit on the temperatures. It's not a safe bet that the F150L is going to get you through when towing.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I know I'm kind of late to this conversation. And I 100% love driving my lightning, and highly recommend it as a city truck. But if this is a worry I don't think the lightning is the truck for you. Consider a powerboost instead. Or wait for the powerboost to be a PHEV, or look into the Ram Charger in the next couple years when it launches. Especially when it gets cold in BC, even with the heat pump on the 24, you're going to suffer a range hit on the temperatures. It's not a safe bet that the F150L is going to get you through when towing.
They did say they were already towing with their other EV, so I think they know what to watch out for. I agree if towing long distances is the *primary* use case then maybe the Lightning isn't the best choice, but if it's occasional, and mostly in good weather like typical camping uses, it'd be OK.

As for the original question. I have not seen charging rates jump around like that. My 23 XLT ER drops suddenly to 55 kW or so at 80%, then flat up to 89% or so, then tapers off again after that. I'd be interested to see what the truck and charger are telling each other while it's behaving erratically. Car Scanner might offer some insight. Maybe some strange interaction with that particular charger.
Sponsored