• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First Snowfall of the Year - Sensors Going Crazy

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
First snowfall of this year and front sensor alerts are non stop while driving. I was parked in the garage before driving so this isn’t related to sensors being completely blocked. Seems like they are picking up the flakes as obstacles.

This didn’t happen last winter. Might be just ice build up while driving but thought I’d post in case it’s and issue others might encounter.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
We get snow once every 10 years or so here. Everyone freaked out, including my Lightning when it happened this past Feb. I guess it assumed living in a desert meant it never had to worry about the fluffy white stuff. Turns out, that's just the truck being true to itself.

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
Not snow related but my back-up sensor slammed on the brakes this weekend as I was backing into a parking spot. There was a light pole and as I crossed the shadow the brakes slammed on. Scared the crap out of me as I thought I hit something. Then I gave it a little throttle and finished backing up. First time it has done that.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
My Mache really hated snow on the front end, I did need to clean off the sensors after a snowy drive.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Not snow related but my back-up sensor slammed on the brakes this weekend as I was backing into a parking spot. There was a light pole and as I crossed the shadow the brakes slammed on. Scared the crap out of me as I thought I hit something. Then I gave it a little throttle and finished backing up. First time it has done that.
I appreciate safety features, but this one drives me nuts. I've still left it on to possibly save me, but baking into any spot with something behind you can trigger the auto braking feature. This can be turned off in settings.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST

This happens a couple times a week as I'm backing into my garage everyday while parking it. It's a fairly tight squeeze with objects on both sides of my parking space. I guess 2 mph is too fast sometimes so now I go extra slowly. Its just like you said, the brakes are applied so strongly, it's like I hit a brick wall!

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Yeah I turn the rear sensor off when backing into my garage because it stops so hard. I can do it with sensors on but have to back in really slow.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Snow/ice/water on the sensors will do it.

Just use the toggle on-screen when it's beeping to shut them off. Also works in tall grass.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
This is pretty normal. Snow or ice on the sensors (even heavier rain) renders the sensors unable to sense objects in front of them like having a hand over your eyes. We deal with that all winter up here in the Great White North. It happens with all cars, all brands with forward and/or rear-facing sensors for parking assist or adaptive cruise. The only fix that may help would be heated sensors, or changing the way they work through a weather screen that can be wiped (like our windshield). That would add complexity and cost that isn't needed for most but would be appreciated by some of us ;). In the meantime, drive on.

OP
OP

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
My Mache really hated snow on the front end, I did need to clean off the sensors after a snowy drive.
Interesting. I had no issues last winter. I would get the usual warning sensors were blocked but then that was it. It seems like thi
Snow/ice/water on the sensors will do it.

Just use the toggle on-screen when it's beeping to shut them off. Also works in tall grass.
yes but the weird thing is this has never happened before on this truck. Previously I would get the sensors blocked warning and then that was the end of it.
This is pretty normal. Snow or ice on the sensors (even heavier rain) renders the sensors unable to sense objects in front of them like having a hand over your eyes. We deal with that all winter up here in the Great White North. It happens with all cars, all brands with forward and/or rear-facing sensors for parking assist or adaptive cruise. The only fix that may help would be heated sensors, or changing the way they work through a weather screen that can be wiped (like our windshield). That would add complexity and cost that isn't needed for most but would be appreciated by some of us ;). In the meantime, drive on.
It doesn’t appear you read my whole post. Did not happen last winter. I live in Canada too. The issue isn’t the sensors being blocked it’s the alerts that are happening every 10-20 seconds of objects while driving.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It doesn’t appear you read my whole post. Did not happen last winter. I live in Canada too. The issue isn’t the sensors being blocked it’s the alerts that are happening every 10-20 seconds of objects while driving.
I've been through two winters with my wife's MME and one with my Lightning and the warnings have always been annoying when they get snow/ice-covered but usually one or two and then they stop. They'll pop up regularly if you are trying to use BlueCruise or if it is slushy and the sensors are in and out as the slush slides off the sensors. If you are getting messages every 10-20 seconds while not trying to use BlueCruise or when they are obviously obstructed, then definitely that is an issue that perhaps Ford should investigate. We haven't had snow here yet so I can't say if anything has changed on this front on ours.

OP
OP

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I've been through two winters with my wife's MME and one with my Lightning and the warnings have always been annoying when they get snow/ice-covered but usually one or two and then they stop. They'll pop up regularly if you are trying to use BlueCruise or if it is slushy and the sensors are in and out as the slush slides off the sensors. If you are getting messages every 10-20 seconds while not trying to use BlueCruise or when they are obviously obstructed, then definitely that is an issue that perhaps Ford should investigate. We haven't had snow here yet so I can't say if anything has changed on this front on ours.
Yeah I totally agree. I’ll see how it goes. Maybe just some freak thing where a sensor was partially covered. I’m jealous of the weather in Ontario right now.

brtnstrns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Tundra Platinum Hybrid; 2022 Polestar 2 LRDM
This happens every once in a while in my Polestar 2 as well. First time it happened, I was certain I hit something because it was so violent, but it was just the car slamming on the brakes because there was a curb behind me.

Suppose it's better than actually backing into something but damn, it's annoying as hell when you're 100% certain there's nothing behind you but your brain is trying to figure out what you smashed into.
Sponsored