• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fist Fight at charging station

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat Avalanche
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I witnessed something I didn’t think I would see, a fist fight at a charging station. I was at a small charging station, only six chargers (five working) and all were being used, so a guy in a black Kia was waiting for someone to leave. As a person was backing out of a charger a guy in a white Kia snuck in and took the spot. Needless to say the guy in the black Kia was pissed and the obscenities flew which eventually led to fists flying. The fight was over pretty quickly with no decisive winner and the guy in the black Kia left. What was upsetting for me is this fight took place on Fathers Day and both combatants had their families in the car. What a way to spend Fathers Day. The irony of it all was the guy in the white Kia couldn’t get the charger to work and had to go someplace else. I’ve been wondering if both these guys went to the same new charging station.

I’ve had my truck about five weeks and this is only the third time I’ve used a charging station and a fight breaks out. I hope this isn’t a prelude of things to come.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
What was upsetting for me is this fight took place on Fathers Day and both combatants had their families in the car. What a way to spend Fathers Day.
Good lesson for the kids....🤦
Certainly this isn't the first time these people have acted like this in public.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Wake up. We are in the mitts of a transportation/cultural revolution that’s going to be as profound any as in revolution in history. A lot of people like to ignore the explosive potential of this revolution even though they see evidence of it every day in the news but they can’t when it manifests itself right in front of them.

All I can say is be careful out there and try not to do anything that will put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I witnessed something I didn’t think I would see, a fist fight at a charging station. I was at a small charging station, only six chargers (five working) and all were being used, so a guy in a black Kia was waiting for someone to leave. As a person was backing out of a charger a guy in a white Kia snuck in and took the spot. Needless to say the guy in the black Kia was pissed and the obscenities flew which eventually led to fists flying. The fight was over pretty quickly with no decisive winner and the guy in the black Kia left. What was upsetting for me is this fight took place on Fathers Day and both combatants had their families in the car. What a way to spend Fathers Day. The irony of it all was the guy in the white Kia couldn’t get the charger to work and had to go someplace else. I’ve been wondering if both these guys went to the same new charging station.

I’ve had my truck about five weeks and this is only the third time I’ve used a charging station and a fight breaks out. I hope this isn’t a prelude of things to come.
For some of us who have our EVs for couple years, watched the evolution of DCFC, take a turn to mediocrity. Early days of the EV Charging Networks such as EA, met our needs, but progressively the last 8 months, the same networks became unreliable or degraded to 50KW. As more EVs from various manufacturers hit the road, the congestion at these stations became apparent. I have witnessed disappointment and a bit of anger at EA. You witness a fist fight. Yes....it is the prelude of things to come. Hopefully, the first part of of 2024, and with the adaptor at hand, we will try the Tesla Supercharging network.
Ford saw the same things we were saying. B loluild your own network or use Tesla's.
I just visited a Tesla Supercharging station in my area to verify the availability of the magic dock, but I was disappointed by it's absence. Anyways the station had 8 docks, six were taken. The Tesla's were moving in and out from those docks without any problems. Not the same experience from the EA stations.
Yes....we all going to see fist fights, brawling, screaming and Lord help us.....no bullets flying. Interesting times ahead.!!!!

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I bought my first CCS EV in 2020 and would say it was always a mediocre charging experience. From mid 2022 onward, as more people bought EVs it became mediocrity x full capacity.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
You also need to consider that the people in KIA’s, Audi’s, and VW are competing for a free meal…most of them are still within the 3 years of free charger. When talking to some at the EA chargers, they confirmed that they basically just fast charge because it is free.

Half or more of the cars that are charging now, would not be there if they had to pay.

This is one of the disadvantages we have, as lightning owners, by having to use the EA chargers. Interestingly, I always seem to be getting the highest rate of charge with the Lightning vs the other cars that are there charging.

Sponsored

Rthol21

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Director of Recruitment

My lady was on an 8hr trip with her friend in her Mach-E and was charging at an Electrify America station and heading to a store in the lot to grab some takeout for the road while charging. As they were walking away from the car someone pulled up and asked her to move to a different charging station so they could use the fast charger to which they said no (already plugged in and charging)and the other person was upset about this. When they returned her charging port cover had been ripped off. Electrify America had no camera to capture them doing it, Walmart would not provide parking lot footage, police never followed up or even responded to her report. Long story short, some people suck.

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning | Lariat SR
DFW -> Houston round trip was approx 700mi depending on DCFC only while on the trip. It was brutal out there for 3 days over the weekend, with the poor charging experience, 100F+ heat, and people’s limited patience and aggressive attitude.

Every single Electrify America charging station had at least 1 or more broken chargers, degraded kW rates, card reader inop, screen unresponsive, completely offline, worn CCS/SAE handles that result in charge faults, etc.

I bought the truck knowing it was a commuter and regional driver until infrastructure improves. My road trip experience in Texas further solidifies that philosophy.

I can’t wait for Tesla Supercharging compatibility. My trip would have been a non-issue with that capability.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
I can’t wait for Tesla Supercharging compatibility. My trip would have been a non-issue with that capability
Especially since you will be taking 2 spots in order for the cable to reach you lightning :ROFLMAO:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered

Back about 10-15 years ago there gasoline pipeline between Tucson and Phoenix burst and was shot down. This resulted in much higher prices and very long lines at gas stations. You could wait 2 hours and by the time you reached the pump, the gas ran out. This resulted in many arguments and some fights. At times of shortages, people's assholery rises to the front.
Sponsored