• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A2Z works fine (finicky lock that loosens up over time) on both my Lightning and my friend's Mach-E (he takes frequent trips from NC to NJ).
New A2ZEV Typhoon Pro eliminates that issue.
Sponsored

FreshDaddyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I think you meant to say that it warns about using an adapter NOT distributed by Ford.

Lectron's initial model had to be recalled. Their revision has overheated and shutoff charging for at least one person in the high heat, whereas no one has posted that the Ford, or A2ZEV adapters have done that.

The A2ZEV adapter is temperature tested, along with many other tests. They recently redesigned theirs after some owners found the latching mechanism confusing.

A2ZEV's Typhoon Pro adapter is $193.50 using coupon code FORDFORUM. You'll find that much cheaper than the Lectron. And, if you also want a destination adapter (called Stellar), pick it in the dropdown menu and you'll see a price of $261, 20.2% off. They will ship within a week or so.

Many more people have used the A2ZEV adapter than the Lectron adapter, if that's of any concern to you. I myself have used both A2ZEV adapters many times. https://a2zevshop.com/?ref=Typhoon
I was unaware of the new Pro model and was in the market for a second adapter for the Mach E so we didn't have to keep remembering to move the one between vehicles.

Just ordered the pro with coupon code " TYPROOLD ' and got it for $161.25!

Have used the A2Z about a dozen times flawlessly. Would recommend.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
The Ford email warns about using an adapter that was distributed by Ford. But, I'd like to not have to wait the 3 months for them to deliver it. I can have the Lectron model delivered in 2 days through Best Buy. For anyone who may be an expert, or has just used one of these successfully, do I have much to worry about if I go with the Lectron adapter for 3 months?
I have been using my A2Z adaptor successfully for both my Lightning and Mach E. The A2Z adaptor is very popular right now. Look into it. The wait may not be that long. Check with this forum for the discount code to acquire one. $199 is the most you pay.
High quality, well built adaptor.
Mine, from the amount of usage, I have gotten my money worth out of this adaptor.
Make sure, when you get it, that when the adapter is engaged, the lock is physically in the locked position.
Good luck.!!!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I received the A2Z prior to the SC network opening and have use it...once. It does have the sticky lock issue but it worked. Nice to hear they addressed that so quickly. Good for them.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Another happy A2Z user for DC fast charging. Been using it since around April and it has traveled a couple of thousand miles with me. No issues after initially having some trouble with seating in the NACS side.

I recently got a Lectron adapter for my Tesla mobile charger that I use for daily outdoor home charging. So far so good. I had a LaTough adapter that lasted about 3 months of outdoor use before it failed on me.

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
The Lectron works just fine. Get the one you want. They all seem to work. Beyond that, it's just preference.

vic7780

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Future) F-150 Lighting
Occupation
Citizen
I have been using my A2Z adaptor successfully for both my Lightning and Mach E. The A2Z adaptor is very popular right now. Look into it. The wait may not be that long. Check with this forum for the discount code to acquire one. $199 is the most you pay.
High quality, well built adaptor.
Mine, from the amount of usage, I have gotten my money worth out of this adaptor.
Make sure, when you get it, that when the adapter is engaged, the lock is physically in the locked position.
Good luck.!!!
Should’ve done this.
Ended up buying the old model from a froum
Member because it was supposed to get here before a raid trip.
…it didn’t. So one in a half losses in that exchange

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I was unaware of the new Pro model and was in the market for a second adapter for the Mach E so we didn't have to keep remembering to move the one between vehicles.

Just ordered the pro with coupon code " TYPROOLD ' and got it for $161.25!

Have used the A2Z about a dozen times flawlessly. Would recommend.
That code only works for past purchasers. It is locked to those owners.

FORDFORUM gives others 10% off, or 20.2% if you buy the destination adapter also.

Gary H

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Super Duty
Occupation
Truck Driver
I use my Lectron all the time with no problems. I ordered my Ford adapter in February said it would ship in June now they changed it to July. The Ford adapter looks cheaply made I will probably not use it

dalesumjr

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro SR
I tried to use my A2Z for the first time this past weekend while on a LD trip and nothing but issues. I could not get it to communicate with the truck. I tried every possible combination of connecting it to get it to work. I do have the plug and charge update didn't' work.. tired without plug and charge enabled, nothing, tried directly from tesla app, nothing. Was really disappointed with it as the TSC network was what i planned the trip for. Yes it was fully seated and locked in, I also tried multiple SC NACS cable and nada. Now that I'm home the closest TSC V3/V4 from me is a good 40 mins away as Buffalo only has legacy V1/V2 SC's.

Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
I went from San Antonio to Houston for the weekend. Charged twice at two different Tesla super chargers. It was plug and play at both chargers with the Ford adapter. While in Houston getting ready to drive back and get away from the hurricane I charged to 100% with no problem. Drove home at 85mph all the way on Sunday evening. Even passed a Tesla cyber truck!

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
So I just finished my 3000 mie round trip from Central Florida to Nj and back over 2 weeks. Exclusively used tesla changers (1 exception below) and my Lectron adapter. Some weird results.

1) Confirmed on both legs that the Lectron trips off when ambient temp is ABOVE 95 degrees every single time.
2) yesterday at the Buc ee's in Daytons Beach (my last charge!!) I received a tesla app error saying that my type of vehicle could NOT be charged at a Tesla Supercharger (after about 12-15 previous successes).
3) I figured this was some weird transient condition so I went over to the new Mercedes Benz CCS chargers they just installed. Was plug and play with a flash of my credit card. Very fast at greater than 160 KWh steady to 50%.This transaction has yet to show up on my credit card, interesting... These Mercedes chargers seem to be on the Chargepoint network.

So the equipment and the Lightning on Tesla "mostly" works but left me stuck several times where I had to scramble to figure out some stuff to get charged. Hopefully this gets better over the next few months.

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
So I just finished my 3000 mie round trip from Central Florida to Nj and back over 2 weeks. Exclusively used tesla changers (1 exception below) and my Lectron adapter. Some weird results.

1) Confirmed on both legs that the Lectron trips off when ambient temp is ABOVE 95 degrees every single time.
2) yesterday at the Buc ee's in Daytons Beach (my last charge!!) I received a tesla app error saying that my type of vehicle could NOT be charged at a Tesla Supercharger (after about 12-15 previous successes).
3) I figured this was some weird transient condition so I went over to the new Mercedes Benz CCS chargers they just installed. Was plug and play with a flash of my credit card. Very fast at greater than 160 KWh steady to 50%.This transaction has yet to show up on my credit card, interesting... These Mercedes chargers seem to be on the Chargepoint network.

So the equipment and the Lightning on Tesla "mostly" works but left me stuck several times where I had to scramble to figure out some stuff to get charged. Hopefully this gets better over the next few months.
I will be retuning my Lectron adapter and getting the A2Z based upon comments read here. I bought the Lectron based upon a review on the State of Charge Youtube channel recommendation. He obviously didn't test it in very high ambient temps.

Ryououki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 04 Lightning 23 Lightning - Tesla 15 MS 18 MX
I used the Lectron Vortex for a trip from between TN and TX .

I had read about the sticking Tesla plug in this adapter and spent a good 20 minutes the day before the trip inserting and removing a Tesla J1772 adapter over and over from it. The first several attempts to remove it were crazy difficult. After about 10 minutes it got a lot smoother but still would catch now and again.

On the actual trip, I ended up using 12 Tesla Superchargers stations. 2 or the 12, the Tesla plug got stuck really good and it took several minutes of tugging to get it out. The other 10 stops had some level of resistance, but all came out on first tug.

While making the trip, the temps were in the mid to high 90s during the hottest parts of the days and this caused the Lectron Vortex to overheat at several stops. The first time it happened, I thought something just caused the charging to stop and when I tried to get it to start again, it didn't even recognize the adapter and Tesla cable were plugged in. I tried unplugging everything and re-plugging with no luck. I did notice the adapter was extremely hot. I was worried the adapter was dead and I was going to have to use CCS for the rest of the trip. I drove about 50 or so minutes to the next Supercharger in the route ensuring I had at least 40% charge remaining in case I needed to find a CCS charger. Thankfully the adapter was working again. The overheating issue did occur several more times through the trip and would abruptly stop charging after 30+ minutes during the warmer parts of the days.

I have ordered a A2Z Typhoon Pro and am hopful it does not encounter the overheating and stuck NACS plug issues that the Lectron Vortex had.

Rjpear

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
The Ford email warns about using an adapter that was distributed by Ford. But, I'd like to not have to wait the 3 months for them to deliver it. I can have the Lectron model delivered in 2 days through Best Buy. For anyone who may be an expert, or has just used one of these successfully, do I have much to worry about if I go with the Lectron adapter for 3 months?
Just picked up my Lightning and I anticipated a charging session on the 3 hour trip home. I grabbed a Lectron Vortex to hit the numerous NACS/Tesla Chargers on the route. My First (and ONLY) attempt at using the Adapter went smoothly for the Charge. Just had to confirm an address in the Tesla app and it was off to the races. It was about 83degF Ambiant temp and overcast. About 30 mins later I hit my goal and discovered the that the adapter was stuck at the NACS to ADAPTER area. I pulled and pushed.. read some forums. Pushed and pulled some more. It started to rain and I sat in my Truck reading up on the problem waiting for it to stop. I eventually forced it out as the adapter flew across the parking lot. Not sure what the deal was but what a mess.

Anyone attempt a return for Lectron proper as of yet? I should have bought from Amazon for the easy return. Thanks.
Sponsored