Lariat ER slow charging is wearing me out

dajohn3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I think you are assuming a lot, and most all owners know EXACTLY what their truck is designed to do. You apparently did not.

Your speed, terrain, and weather/wind are also not always indicative of everyone else's travel experiences.

This is never a 'one size fits all' equation. There's enough vehicle types on this globe to choose from for every situation.
It is really ridiculous for you to blame an owner of a vehicle that couldn't go the distance that was on the display for the trucks inadequacies. I made many 525 mile trips to and from my ranch with the truck and tried driving slower but the truck always came up short. I never saw any range above 1.9 and that was while driving at 60 mph (posted speed 80 mph) with just me and nothing in the bed or pulling anything. The 98 KWH battery just can't give you the range you need to get you where you need to go without any problems along the way. My truck couldn't even make it to a charging station, pulling 5000 pounds, when the charging stations are 100 miles apart. So, yes I traded in my truck and yes I am happier for doing it. Some of the people on this forum are in some sort of a dream world because the positive range results that have been posted seem to be severely overstated when they write about their 98KWH truck driving long distance and pulling a trailer. So if anyone runs across this VIN number 1FTVW1EL8PWG60761 they should stay clear of the lightning because I was the owner who traded it in for a Lariat F150. One of the people who was at the dealership asked me why I was trading it in and, before I could answer, said that you are trading it in because it is a piece of shit. I couldn't argue with his statement and kept my mouth shut until the paperwork was signed for the trade-in. Now that I have my new truck I can honestly say that the 98KW standard range is a piece of shit while driving long range and a wet dream while driving in the city. So if you don't need to drive the distances that I have driven, than go ahead and buy yourself a 98KWH lightning, otherwise stay clear of the standard range lightning.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
why don't you just try and be a little more considerate with your remarks next time
Some of the people on this forum are in some sort of a dream world
Take your own advice man. Just please stop turning every thread you participate on into your wall of repeated rants.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
My truck couldn't even make it to a charging station, pulling 5000 pounds, when the charging stations are 100 miles apart.
So you failed to do your research prior to buying the truck and now you are complaining because others are saying your experience is not typical?

Your story is yours and it is an important story to tell as an EV truck is not right for people that really should be using a super duty with a Power Stroke.

While I love my Lightning there is still one part of our state I can’t reliably visit without an overnight to LV 2 charge because there isn’t even a slow 50 kw DCFC and with the ER it is just past my pucker factor for trying to do a out and back to the Super Chargers.

So if I needed to always go to that area, clearly an EV is not for me. If I only need to go once a year, it is all worth it for nature’s beauty.

The moral is the Lightning is great for most things and most people, but you have to know your needs, what the infrastructure is in the areas you go, and be willing to chill and enjoy the ride.

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
I have been slow charging my Lightning at 1.2 KWh for the past 36 hours or so. No complaints. One strange thing occurred.
  1. Last night Ford Pass app showed 75% and 160 miles
  2. This morning the it's showing 83% and 257 miles (translates to 3.3% degradation at 24K miles)
Ok, that was strange, for a minute I thought I have a defective battery. My truck is not my daily driver, so happy to slow charge here with my newly purchased Lectron 20' Level 1 charger. Also have the A2Z Typhoon for road trips.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
OP here and we completed our trip back in much cooler weather (mid 70s). Charging experience was much better but some of the EA stations were still throttled (Chamberlain, SD for example which is a new installation). Our best charge was in Wall, SD and the EA charger worked as it should. From my experience most of the EA chargers in NE, SD and WY don't put out full power.

Some of the posters in this thread sound just like Tesla fanboys. Because of our unique needs I held off on buying a Lightning until the deal was announced between Tesla and Ford. Tesla is not honoring their agreement and Ford is not giving us any information. Even if I receive our adapter in 2024 it will be of little use to us. Ford and the NEVI fund managers should be crawling up the Tesla lunatic's ass. I refuse to get into a Silverado at this time as our Lightning is worth about half what we paid for it.

How come @Ford only responds to candy and nuts threads? I will never buy a Tesla ever again and Ford is getting closer to being on my never again list.

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
The moral is the Lightning is great for most things and most people, but you have to know your needs, what the infrastructure is in the areas you go, and be willing to chill and enjoy the ride.
I agree, most trucks drive around being used as large family cars with nothing in the bed
Lightning matches the needs for most truck drivers.

If you're going to actually pull anything a meaningful distance you really should be in a gas/diesel.

But as anyone who is too lazy to walk 5 ft to grab the correct tool, you know you can get the wrong tool to still do the job, its just about how much inconvenience you're willing to put up with.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
You mean, I shouldn’t try to cut down a 60 foot tall oak tree with my reciprocating saw?-Damn
Sponsored