• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE if not planning to tow?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm debating between two different Lightnings for purchase. One already had a bedliner sprayed in from factory and comes with the mobile charger..both things I like.
The second has neither of these but has the Max Trailer Tow Package? Would it provide benefits for someone only planning to haul camping gear in the bed? I've read that it provides coolers for the batteries..which sounds good, but would the additional weight be a negative for it since I won't tow. Just wondering if there are benefits if you're not towing.
You can buy a mobile charger, cheaper and better, than what Ford sells it to you for, and you can get a better spray in liner from Line-x with a lifetime warranty. But you can't add Max Tow after the fact.

I know what I would do.
Sponsored

T3Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s a strange option. If it’s beneficial to charging, ford should make it standard equipment.
I disagree. It adds additional complexity and cost. Since most owners don't daily DC fast charge, and even fewer tow, there would be no observable benefit. That being said, I'd still pick it up because it's not a cost-prohibitive option, especially with the heavy discounts reported on the forum and elsewhere. However, the optimal solution is to design a more robust cooling solution for T3 that isn't constrained by what they could stuff into the existing F150 package.

Last edited:

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
It’s a strange option. If it’s beneficial to charging, ford should make it standard equipment.
Hmmmm. 🤔
most charging takes place at home (ford telematics data which we all freely give backs this up.) So for a few times that one benefits solely for charging doesn’t make sense for a manufacturer to include. They’re already losing $’s on every truck.

they will no longer be including the park assist feature. Expected to save ford $2 billion.

it‘s about the $’s. 💰 show me da money!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The second has neither of these but has the Max Trailer Tow Package? Would it provide benefits for someone only planning to haul camping gear in the bed? I've read that it provides coolers for the batteries..which sounds good, but would the additional weight be a negative for it since I won't tow. Just wondering if there are benefits if you're not towing.
IMHO, having the Max Tow option improves the trucks future resale value, though some of you may be mall crawlers and such, at some point the truck will be sold or traded, it's next owner could be someone looking for that feature who will do a lot of towing or multi mile road tripping with trailer in tow.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Unless your planning on towing a big non aerodynamic camper long distance or pulling a trailer full of cinder blocks I think it's pointless. My SR non Max tow pulls my boat (3,400lbs) just fine and neither of the temp gauges have ever moved from center. Ford wouldn't put out a product that would overheat because you cheaped out on and drive up hills in the heat of summer. One thing I do know is Ford will take the money if your willing to give it to them 😂😆😂

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I’d buy the one with the Max Tow Pkg. You can’t add that later. You can have bedliner sprayed in locally and buy a mobile charger after the purchase. eBay had multiple new Ford mobile chargers for sale for $300-$399 if you really want the Ford branded one.

I have a 2023 Lariat ER with all 4 options, power running boards, Max Tow Pkg, Spray in Bedliner and mobile charger. I bought it off the lot that way.

My preference would have been to skip the $500 mobile charger and get the rest. Tesla mobile charger is $250 and a $50 adaptor makes it compatible with all EVs. Plus the Ford Mobile charger has a reputation of not being as robust and reliable.

Current draw from power running boards is negligible and won’t cause early 12 volt battery failure.

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
I have both the Max tow package and power running boards. I do not at this time tow but wanted to have the option. Have no empirical evidence-but I think it helps keep my high voltage battery happy.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I have a theory that the Max Tow cooling loop is the reason the Platinum has an EPA range of 300 miles and every other trim has an EPA range of 320 miles. Max Tow is standard on Platinum but optional on other trims.

The other possibility is the 22" wheels but I've run both on my truck and not noticed a difference. My observations were not in any way scientific though.

salmotrutta

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
retired
I bought my XLT ER off the lot with max tow. It had been a special order which had been cancelled. Seems to be a sweet spot for a specification for a "business" truck by an owner / operator. I think it probably would enhance its resale although I'm not planning to sell. Only downside so far it that I have accidentally switched on when aiming for the heating knob. But I can't blame the truck for that...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have a theory that the Max Tow cooling loop is the reason the Platinum has an EPA range of 300 miles and every other trim has an EPA range of 320 miles. Max Tow is standard on Platinum but optional on other trims.

The other possibility is the 22" wheels but I've run both on my truck and not noticed a difference. My observations were not in any way scientific though.
My Lariat-ER was built with the Max Tow option and has a EPA rating of 320.
Stock AS tires on 20's, fixed running boards.
Ford F-150 Lightning MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE if not planning to tow? 1710081817887

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Go with the one with the bed liner. That one feature you will use all the time. Max tow will never be utilized

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
My Lariat-ER was built with the Max Tow option and has a EPA rating of 320.
Stock AS tires on 20's, fixed running boards.
1710081817887.png
Right, but EPA rating is not based on every possible option combination. My theory is that the EPA ratings are based on trim before options, hence lower range for Platinum. It could be wheels but I've never seen an ICE vehicle with a lower EPA mpg because of wheels. I could be wrong.🤷

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Your battery cares about temperature, not how much cooling capacity it has. The Max Tow package adds a layer of complexity with another compressor and refrigerant loop, and it doesn’t sound like it would be doing anything.

I don’t see any upside to max tow if you‘re not pulling heavy. This seems like an easy call.
It does provide the auto trailer ball hitch line up when pressing the button doesn't it?

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
The mobile charger is serviceable, but I wouldn’t pick a truck because it comes with it already. As mentioned there are far, far, far better options.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It does provide the auto trailer ball hitch line up when pressing the button doesn't it?
I'm not certain, but this was promised to be an ~as built~ feature for MY23+, MY22 was promised to get it as an OTA, I haven't seen one for my truck yet.

BTW, I watched this being demonstrated at show & tell meetup with Ford corporate last April
Sponsored

Last edited: