• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New here with some stupid questions

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Honda Accord Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired truck driver
What is your familiarity with home electrical panels? It is rarely the case that a level 2 charger can't be added to a home electrical system. It's not impossible but it is something that is frequently misunderstood, which is totally understandable.

The reason people keep coming back to a 240V charger is because we can't imagine living without one. I relieved on 120V for a couple weeks before my charger was installed and it was a bad experience. The charger greatly improves the utility of the truck in most instances.
When we began talking about getting a lightning probably 4 months ago now, I had an electrician I know come look, and his comment was that to add a charger to the house, we would have to lose something else, perhaps our hot tub was his suggestion. The wife and I laughed so hard, because the hot tub would be the last thing we get rid of.
I would sell the stove before the hot tub.
Maybe another electrian would have a different opinion, but that was his.
We do have some baseboard heaters that we never use, that could go I guess.
But it still seems like a 120 outlet should charge the battery, especially when it will regularly sit for days at a time undriven.
Last year we put 17,139 kms on our Ram 1500 total. Some of that was a trip, where we would have to charge an EV many times away from home anyway, and burnt many tanks of gas in our Ram. That trip was almost 3,000 kms, over 19 days.
Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
When we began talking about getting a lightning probably 4 months ago now, I had an electrician I know come look, and his comment was that to add a charger to the house, we would have to lose something else, perhaps our hot tub was his suggestion. The wife and I laughed so hard, because the hot tub would be the last thing we get rid of.
I would sell the stove before the hot tub.
Maybe another electrian would have a different opinion, but that was his.
We do have some baseboard heaters that we never use, that could go I guess.
But it still seems like a 120 outlet should charge the battery, especially when it will regularly sit for days at a time undriven.
Last year we put 17,139 kms on our Ram 1500 total. Some of that was a trip, where we would have to charge an EV many times away from home anyway, and burnt many tanks of gas in our Ram. That trip was almost 3,000 kms, over 19 days.
Take a look at the Emporia charger. It works with the Emporia load sensing tool and throttles down the charging when other heavy loads are detected (like the hot tub). It might take a bit longer to charge if your hot tub heater is cycling on a lot in the winter, but it might be a really good option for those who cannot easily upgrade their electrical service.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/prod...MIsvqklrHciAMV61gPAh0kdA38EAAYASAAEgLUGvD_BwE