Sponsored

POLL: Does your spouse refuse to drive an EV?

Is your spouse anti having an EV as their primary driver?

• Total voters

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I thought I was the only one, but on another thread there were two others who had comments about their wives hating EV's. Mine is totally against it, then again she's not big into tech and uses a fraction of the options in her fully loaded late model SUV. It's funny how against it she is though. So much so that my April Fool's prank on her was telling her I got a good deal on an EV and she needed to clear out the stuff from her SUV because they were on the way to swap them out. She threatened not to drive it :crackup: .

Anyway, just curious if this is a pervasive thing or maybe a couple of us unlucky guys.

BTW this isn't focused on pro/anti or politically motivated feelings. More-so about whether if all things being equal the spouse would accept the EV, or complain about having to drive one.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well - my wife got her Mach-e about 10 months before I got my Lightning and we have both said we are never going back to ICE vehicles.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Our first was the Mach-E for her. Then I wanted the Lightning, and she was concerned about going all EV. As the months went on, her concerns vanished, and we went 100% EV. I do all the trip planning. Locally, she doesn't have to do anything, so she's totally onboard.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
In short... my wife loves driving a EV.

I had my first EV in 2016 (Kia Soul EV), and wife had a PHEV (Ford C-Max Hybrid). She got used to plug in, and picked up a 2019 Bolt EV. Later we upgraded that into a 2021 Bolt EV.

After my Kia Soul EV, I was toying between gas and EV for a few years till I landed a Bolt EV for myself in 2019. I then traded that Bolt for a non-EV (Explorer ST), then to a truck (F150 Hybrid), and finally to the F150L.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I didn't vote as my wife is kinda both. She doesn't hate EV's and would have no problem driving one. But I don't think she's ready to handle road tripping one by herself. I wish there was a better PHEV with 3 rows. We need something with ~100miles EV range for city driving (she does 44 miles a day since the kids go to a school on the other side of the city) so that we wouldn't be draining the battery twice a day. Then she'd also be comfortable using it if she needs to bug out of town to help with her parents for whatever reason. A ramcharger setup on a Honda Pilot would be a no brainer for us.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
As the previous commenters have shared, wife is totally on board with EV. She won't drive a non-EV if she can help it. Your poll is missing husband/wife refuses to drive ICE. As far as technology goes, she won't drive with cruise control, but take the little map screen out from the driver's display on her Volvo XC40 EV (I am finally resigned to it being her car) and she would not be happy. We also have a phev that only I drive at this time. It is primarily for trips and when we have more than 5 people in the car, but I would gladly turn that car into another comparable EV.
We started with a Chevy volt. She saw something about it in a magazine and a few months later we purchased one. Volt, bolt, xc90phev, XC40 EV, lightning are our electrified cars past and current.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
My wife is the type of person to always bring her car back home on fumes. Getting her in a ev was a piece of cake as she already seemed to hate going to the gas station. Granted I am the one to plug her car in 95% of the time but she loves it and says she can’t go back. She’s done a few long journeys in it and to their credit Tesla makes it almost idiot proof if you just listen to the nav.

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Carpenter
My wife had her car in the shop a few weeks after Christmas. I let her drive the Lightning to work, as it is just a 3rd vehicle for us. Upon getting home that day, I asker her how she liked driving it. Her three word response:

I WANT ONE!!!

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
My wife was onboard to get her EV6 after I had had my Lightning nearly a year. She had initially thought she would like the Mach-e, (she has wanted a ‘Mustang’ since we married 48 years ago), but ended with the Kia EV6 because it has more room in the back for grandkids and my 91 yr old father than the Mach-e did.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
You need "wife refuses to drive ICE vehicles and complains about the smell and noise when I start one." I think the odds of getting her to fill a car at a gas station are below zero now.

If you have a wife who is worried about charging and range, the e-GMP vehicles (Hyundai, Kia, Genesis) are a different experience from the Lightning - at least the SR. The EV6 almost charges too fast (or the bathrooms at Wallmart are too far away). However, the LIghtning is the one that is going on road trips these days...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My wife will not drive -ANY- truck, she is afraid of the size and safely maneuvering it.

What she hates is the fact that it's too tall for her to comfortably step up to, at 73 she is finding this difficult, I'm looking at options, like a step up or lowered running boards.

As far as a sedan, I've teased her numerous times about an EV, she is not interested.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Mine is totally against it, then again she's not big into tech and uses a fraction of the options in her fully loaded late model SUV.
Mine either, so divorced we are. The girlfriend loves EVs. 😉😂🤣

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Hahaha lol.

Wife just upgraded to a VW ID.4 today. We are now a two EV household.
Sponsored