First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat SR Black 8/21/23 blend
Occupation
Builder
This update was different for me. I got a message on my screen about 24hrs in advance letting me know I was going to receive a software update at a scheduled time. In my case at 1am. I got the message every time I started her up. The software updated without a hitch. And from what I could tell, it has made my Lariatā€˜s stereo sound significantly better. Less center channel, more refined treble from the front tweeters. Better overall sound. No complaints.

STXLariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tundra
Just received today at lunch. First update since 6/21. Havenā€™t had a chance to review the sound yet.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
This update was different for me. I got a message on my screen about 24hrs in advance letting me know I was going to receive a software update at a scheduled time. In my case at 1am. I got the message every time I started her up. The software updated without a hitch. And from what I could tell, it has made my Lariatā€˜s stereo sound significantly better. Less center channel, more refined treble from the front tweeters. Better overall sound. No complaints.
Mine has always been center heavy, I look forward to checking this out tonight.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Got mine a couple days ago. can't tell any difference. the background noise referred to is almost certainly pertaining to background noise when speaking on the phone. There are methods using frequency equalization that can reduce background (road) noise but anything done to music, radio broadcasts would alter the fidelity.

Sponsored

Mashedtators

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Got this today. Not really a noticeable difference. The sound is still dominated by the center channel on the dash.

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
This is the first audio update Iā€™ve gotten; bought a 23 lariat er in April of this year

Havenā€™t noticed a major audio update, however upon receiving it my front power train stopped working and I was down to 56% power. So major panic attack- taking my first family road trip in 2 days

It seems likes itā€™s back on now (an hour or so later) so who tf knows

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Got this update today.

Not sure how it could be the latest update and I still donā€™t have my mph sign moved yet

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
And during the whole manual download/update process, the PL6100 was powered on and set to maintain 13.5V across the jump points in the frunk. This is also the first time I've tried a completely manual update and used the PL6100 while doing so.

Does anyone see anything obviously wrong in what I'm doing,
I thought an inhibit update required all doors and frunk to be closed. Did you have frunk open when powering with Clore?

I have also used a power supply at times but i hook into the battery compartment and close the frunk. Never been an issue with pinched wires.

Also remember the FDRS lookup guys (@rugedraw ) can tell you why an update failed.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This is the first audio update Iā€™ve gotten; bought a 23 lariat er in April of this year

Havenā€™t noticed a major audio update, however upon receiving it my front power train stopped working and I was down to 56% power. So major panic attack- taking my first family road trip in 2 days

It seems likes itā€™s back on now (an hour or so later) so who tf knows
Install aberrations happen, I've had a couple over the past 2 years, you're probably ok, enjoy the trip.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I thought an inhibit update required all doors and frunk to be closed. Did you have frunk open when powering with Clore?
I thought about that in hooking up the power supply and didn't see any info in a cursory search on the forum whether the AUD update required going into Inhibit Mode. I thought perhaps if Inhibit Mode were required, I'd either get an admonition flashed on the screen in advance as happens with scheduled automatic updates, or I'd get a failed update advice as we used to indicating a prior process (or whatever the language was) had interfered with the update. Instead, I just got "! Not Completed" - not very helpful feedback. Perhaps my mistake was turning the vehicle off while the download was occurring. Maybe to get the advance notice to turn everything off, exit the vehicle, close all the doors, etc., the vehicle has to be on? (or in automatic update mode?).

@rugedraw and/or @Mike G, what's your advice on whether the frunk can remain open for OTA updates that require Inhibit Mode or when programming the truck with FDRS?

Here's what Microsoft Copilot AI says about the requirement the frunk be closed (it draws heavily from online postings on this and other forums and typically does a reasonable job of summarizing and inferring from various posts):
You
Does the frunk of the Ford F-150 Lightning need to be closed for OTA updates that go into Inhibit Mode?
Copilot
For Over-The-Air (OTA) updates on the Ford F-150 Lightning, the following conditions generally need to be met [3] [5]:
  • Your vehicle is stopped and parked.
  • Your parking brake is set.
  • The update is scheduled for before or after 12 a.m. (not exactly 12 a.m.).
  • Your vehicle's ignition is off.
  • All your doors are closed.
While it's not explicitly mentioned whether the frunk needs to be closed, it's reasonable to assume that it should be, as the guidelines specify that all doors should be closed. If you're having trouble with OTA updates, some users have found success by starting the truck in the FordPass app and driving it [1]. However, please refer to the official Ford guidelines or contact Ford support for the most accurate information.
Source: Conversation with Copilot, 7/31/2024
  1. Troubleshooting Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates When Pre-Conditions ... - Ford
  2. Why did the Software Update not start for my Ford?
  3. Possible Solution for Failed OTA Power-Up Updates | Ford Lightning ...
  4. Ford F-150 Lightning OTA Tracker: Every Update for Ford's Electric ...
  5. How To Get Failed OTAs To Install | āš” Ford Lightning Forum āš”
  6. en.wikipedia.org

Last edited:

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ā€˜23 build)
Got this update today as wellā€¦

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
Install aberrations happen, I've had a couple over the past 2 years, you're probably ok, enjoy the trip.
Yeah this is the second time Iā€™ve had it happen .

ā€¦still love this truck tho

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I thought about that in hooking up the power supply and didn't see any info in a cursory search on the forum whether the AUD update required going into Inhibit Mode. I thought perhaps if Inhibit Mode were required, I'd either get an admonition flashed on the screen in advance as happens with scheduled automatic updates, or I'd get a failed update advice as we used to indicating a prior process (or whatever the language was) had interfered with the update. Instead, I just got "! Not Completed" - not very helpful feedback. Perhaps my mistake was turning the vehicle off while the download was occurring. Maybe to get the advance notice to turn everything off, exit the vehicle, close all the doors, etc., the vehicle has to be on? (or in automatic update mode?).

@rugedraw and/or @Mike G, what's your advice on whether the frunk can remain open for OTA updates that require Inhibit Mode or when programming the truck with FDRS?

Here's what Microsoft Copilot AI says about the requirement the frunk be closed (it draws heavily from online postings on this and other forums and typically does a reasonable job of summarizing and inferring from various posts):
Not needed for an OTA for EV's. Updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited will draw juice from the HVB to the LVB during the update. In most cases, the LVB has a higher SoC after the update than before it. Not the case with the ICE vehicles and not sure if the hybrids do it, but the EV's do.

With FDRS, if you will be doing many updates or long ones like the CMR and PSCM/IPMA modules, then a power supply is needed. If a single simple module update pops up in my truck, I'll just do it with no power supply. The updates that require a USB are done with the vehicle on, so no power supply needed for those, either.

When it comes to FDRS updates: When in doubt, use a power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
@rugedraw. Thanks as always for the very helpful info. I will put it to good use! One remaining item that would still be interesting to know is whether the frunk needs to be closed for any type of update. Would that be included as a "door" as the MS Copilot advice attempts to infer for Inhibit Mode where all doors should be closed?

I took your first sentence, "Not needed for an OTA for EV's" to refer to the need for a power supply, not whether the frunk can remain open.
Sponsored