Sponsored

Suggestion for Ford: Regional EV only service centers

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
This is mainly a suggestion/observation for Ford but I’m curious to hear what Ford EV owners think of the idea.
I read this forum a lot, along with Reddit and Facebook. When someone has an issue with their Lightning or Mach-e there is a huge variance in quality of service and basic EV knowledge with the dealerships. As an example, some people with the dreaded powertrain issue are in and out at the dealership in 2 weeks with a replaced battery module. Others experience horrific wait times with their truck at their dealership for months and often results in Ford buying back a fixable Lightning. There are numerous examples like this with OTA failed updates, red ring of death on the charge port, etc. Leaving it up to each dealership to train and know how to fix these issues quickly and properly seems to be asking a lot.
Why couldn’t Ford create regional, EV only service shops that do nothing but EV specific work? Or, allow for 3rd party authorized/trained/equipped shops to open up?
You’d bring your Lightning in for something and they’d say “we’ve seen and fixed this a dozen times and will have your truck ready in a couple days”.
Maybe I live in a fantasy world and this sort of service model is something Ford would find impossible to implement, but I’m just putting it out there.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
IMHO, these are great ideas, I'm sure there are a lot of excuses and reasons we haven't seen this yet.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Great idea IMHO. I see two groups of problems though:

1). Someone would have to pay for all this. Dealerships get capital by sales of durable goods (vehicles) and by after-sale longer term services, i.e an imperfect yet mostly functional version of "customer capture", reinforced by the increasingly complex diagnosis equipment often out of reach for the old-school corner indie mechanic shop. Does Ford Motor Company have pockets deep enough to fund and then sustain such EV centers?

2). Zoning laws and state-level dealership-friendly business laws, built up over a century and very subject to local and highly vested-interest lobbying. The inertia of all these would have to be overcome piecemeal... look at how long it took Tesla's business model to take root.

Yet I support the OP's idea. Talk about a disrupter idea haha.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
It would also be a challenge in rural states. I have a Ford dealership in my hometown that sells EV's...the next closest one that sells EV's is 142 miles followed by 390 miles.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Once EV's outnumber ICE-Vs, like in Norway, it'll be so much better in so many ways...

Sponsored

B177y

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ptcoffee.com
Vehicles
2024 Lightning Pro ER Max Tow, 2021 Highlander V6, 2013 Suzuki Wee-Strom
Occupation
Coffee Roasting
I am thinking along the same lines as @chl and @Joe.....Montana , there has to be enough EV's in a given area that would allow for enough business to make such an idea profitable and sustainable. If such a service center was limited to only one manufacturer, it would seem to be even more difficult to have enough business to keep such a venture afloat. I don't think that there are enough EV's on the road with enough problems to create a need for an EV only service center. The expertise of such a center would be amazing, but there would only be enough business to sustain these in large dense EV heavy areas. My guess would be mostly coastal CA from the Bay Area to So Cal.

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
I don’t believe ice vehicles will last much longer, as more people get the chance to drive a BEV and experience the difference, service departments will naturally make the change to BEVs. I think the bigger problem for the adoption of BEVs is that the technology is being used as a political football by politicians that get their contributions from big oil.
Sponsored