• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Use FCSP or other for home charging

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
I just received notification that my charger pro shipped. I’m on the fence if I need the 80 amp charge or would a 48 amp do the trick . My utility company will reimburse me $500 for a charger (juice box, ChargePoint , etc) in which 48 amp is the highest. They also reimburse $500 for the install of any charger . Anyone install the ford charger and unhappy or install a smaller unit and wish they went bigger?
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Anyone install the ford charger and unhappy or install a smaller unit and wish they went bigger?
Most of us in the first camp :) .
I see you joined recently. There are a lot of threads on this - e.g., here and here. A small number of people need the 80 amps but the vast majority would be fine with 48. Add to that the poor connectivity of the Ford unit and bulky connector. I am so happy I finally switched and wished I had done it Day 1.

Go with the utility company offer.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
When it hit that I cannot charge another vehicle that JUST has a basic J1772 L2 port with the FCSP, it became a real changer. Ditch the sucker and install a 48A Emporia.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a dumb 48A Grizzle. Love it!

Sponsored

JohnnyEV

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I installed the FCSP outside, that 80amp fast charging is convenient. I tried our 40amp Tesla charger which is inside, but the battery is a lot bigger than my Tesla's and takes a lot longer to charge. If you can swing it, I recommend using the full onboard charging capability you paid for and enjoy the faster charging of FCSP.​

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
I just received notification that my charger pro shipped. I’m on the fence if I need the 80 amp charge or would a 48 amp do the trick . My utility company will reimburse me $500 for a charger (juice box, ChargePoint , etc) in which 48 amp is the highest. They also reimburse $500 for the install of any charger . Anyone install the ford charger and unhappy or install a smaller unit and wish they went bigger?
Here's the thing. FCSP will only work with current crop of non-Tesla cars. Starting with 2024 models, it will work, but only at 48A. At some point, as new vehicles are shipped with NACS, it won't work with them at all. A 48A charger (Chargepoint, Juicebox, etc) will still work with NACS via inexpensive adapter.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
as new vehicles are shipped with NACS, it won't work with them at all
Any sources for that?

I like the fcsp, it came with the truck so no added cost. I get zero subsidies so I'm not going to spend more on a new charger. Once it dies I'll replace it. 48a is just fine, that's what my fcsp is set to and it would be replaced with another 48a unit of whatever brand is available at that time.

OP
OP

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
Any sources for that?

I like the fcsp, it came with the truck so no added cost. I get zero subsidies so I'm not going to spend more on a new charger. Once it dies I'll replace it. 48a is just fine, that's what my fcsp is set to and it would be replaced with another 48a unit of whatever brand is available at that time.
Gotcha , I was thinking the same but having the wiring there to support 100 amps as I want to be a one and done , most likely I’d dial it back as you have since in most cases I wouldn’t need a “fast” charge and not sure the drop from the power company can handle it … I get a voltage drop when I was using a 6kw dryer so this should be fun :) I’ve already informed them I’m installing a charger soon.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If your daily drive & charge routine is limited go with the EVSE supported by your utility, especially if they offer TOU credits or reduced energy rates, FORDS products and connectivity sharing rules don't work well with the utilities presently .

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
@Heliian - asking because I don't know. Are there any CCS1 to NACS adapters that adapt the Level 2 AC charging pins? The CCS1-NACS adapters I see are for DCFC so they convert the CCS1 DC pins to NACS. But I did not do an extensive search. These would not work for the FCSP. The Tesla CCS1 adapter states it is DC charging only.

There are lots of J1772 to NACS adapters for AC charging. To use these you have to modify the FCSP connector.

The FCSP is really a unicorn in that it is a AC Level 2 charger with a CCS1 DCFC connector (but only uses the J1772 part). Any other home charger you buy will have either the the J1772 or NACS where adapters are plentiful.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I have a Lightning and 2 Teslas. The fcsp would not work for my NACS Tesla. So I sold my free fcsp that came with my truck on ebay and replaced it with a Tesla Wall Connector.

I now have 2 Tesla Wall connectors aka chargers, one at my house and one at my cabin. The house is wired to a 60 amp circuit (48 amp output) and the cabin is wired to a 50 amp circuit (40 amp output) due to limitations at sub panel. The both charge the Ford and Tesla fine. The are reliable with easily managed lightweight cords. I use a $50 NACS to J1772 adaptor with the Lightning

I bought the first Tesla wall connector when they were $350. I got the 2nd for free due at referral credit for a Leaf owner who bought a Tesla.

Another plus is "The warranty for normal residential use of a Wall Connector covers your Wall Connector for a period of 48 months from the date of invoice."

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
@Heliian - asking because I don't know. Are there any CCS1 to NACS adapters that adapt the Level 2 AC charging pins? The CCS1-NACS adapters I see are for DCFC so they convert the CCS1 DC pins to NACS. But I did not do an extensive search. These would not work for the FCSP. The Tesla CCS1 adapter states it is DC charging only.

There are lots of J1772 to NACS adapters for AC charging. To use these you have to modify the FCSP connector.

The FCSP is really a unicorn in that it is a AC Level 2 charger with a CCS1 DCFC connector (but only uses the J1772 part). Any other home charger you buy will have either the the J1772 or NACS where adapters are plentiful.
There aren't really any ready made adapters yet. However, there are options. You could modify one like some have had on here or change the cable end completely. The only advantages of the fcsp are 1)80a capacity, 2)the ability to install in almost any panel and 3)using the HIS.

By the time I have a nacs vehicle, I'll probably be due for a new evse anyways so I'm not worried about it.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I was on the fence about the HIS so I installed the FCSP. It's up on the wall now and I'm not interested in the hassle of swapping it out and trying to sell it. Like @Heliian I'm just going to keep using it till I need a new one (or someone puts out a working bidirectional unit...looking at you Emporia!).

Who knows, maybe Ford will put out a HIS 2.0 that actually works? We can dream can't we?