The Tiny Cybertruck Frunk

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Tacoma, Model 3, Lariat Max Tow, lng range
People will buy it for sure but if you read some posts over there on that forum some truly believe that the Cybertruck is so good that it’ll outsell Ford in 3 years. They are delusional and ignore all of its flaws.

The Rivian is a great truck but 3x as many Titans were sold last quarter than R1T and Nissan is throwing in the towel after decades of trying.

Elon doesn’t have the patience to wait decades and will find out first hand how difficult the American truck market is to crack.

The truck will sell like hotcakes to the Tesla fans who want to be the first in their hood to have a Darth Vader mobile. That demand could be significant, but it does nor include any of the legions of people who work out of their truck and couldn't possibly configure this platform for their setup.

I predict that the CT will prove to be a dud after a couple of years when the defects are noted and the hardcore fan pool has been exhausted. Like many things Tesla, this vehicle was designed by engineers who had conviction about what they thought a pick-up should be, but without any real world input. This "we know better than our customers " arrogance is pervasive. And harmful.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The frunk lid looks like a guillotine and those sharp corners are perfectly positioned for trepanation.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I predict.... nothing about the Cybertruck. The Chevy Silverado is what I am watching, given it's better range, but probably a lot less features otherwise.

I am curious to see how it does though. After driving a Model Y for a few days last week though, it would take an HUGE amount of normalization for me to want to buy a Tesla. Too much hassle to do little things, and no Car Play. To be fair, would be a much better vehicle if bought, not rented, as then the OTA map and software updates would have been done automatically, and phone would have worked as key, instead of the POS card/side pillar swipe that we had to use on the Model Y, which usually took 5-12 swipes to unlock. We were supposed to have the Model Y for 2 weeks, but turned it back in after 4 days.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Also won't work for people who camp in the back of their truck, such as my GoFast Camper. When I asked bed camper manufacturers, none planned to build for Cybertrucks, due to geometry and low #'s just wouldn't make it worth it. The origami camper that has been designed for it would be highly unlikely to survive backcountry roads and trails, so really doesn't count.

The truck will sell like hotcakes to the Tesla fans who want to be the first in their hood to have a Darth Vader mobile. That demand could be significant, but it does nor include any of the legions of people who work out of their truck and couldn't possibly configure this platform for their setup.

I predict that the CT will prove to be a dud after a couple of years when the defects are noted and the hardcore fan pool has been exhausted. Like many things Tesla, this vehicle was designed by engineers who had conviction about what they thought a pick-up should be, but without any real world input. This "we know better than our customers " arrogance is pervasive. And harmful.

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I predict.... nothing about the Cybertruck. The Chevy Silverado is what I am watching, given it's better range, but probably a lot less features otherwise.

I am curious to see how it does though. After driving a Model Y for a few days last week though, it would take an HUGE amount of normalization for me to want to buy a Tesla. Too much hassle to do little things, and no Car Play. To be fair, would be a much better vehicle if bought, not rented, as then the OTA map and software updates would have been done automatically, and phone would have worked as key, instead of the POS card/side pillar swipe that we had to use on the Model Y, which usually took 5-12 swipes to unlock. We were supposed to have the Model Y for 2 weeks, but turned it back in after 4 days.

That's true of a huge array of non-camping mods as well. Where I live almost everybody who works out of their truck has tool boxes and specialty equipment for folks who need to cart around pipes or ladders or whatever. There are hundreds of manufacturers that supply this aftermarket demand. I know a lot of people who start their mods with a new bed. Anyone who pulls a gooseneck (moi) is also up a creek w/o a paddle. Tesla has always thought that customers didn't know what they want. So did Steve Jobs who was often right.

Sponsored

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I agree. Tesla's infotainment platform is horrible. Not offering Android Play or Car Play is an indication that Tesla sees its customers as cattle. Once one goes through the brain damage of learning how to met up playlists, favorites, podcasts etc., one has s a distinct inferior user interface. My wife primarily drives the Tesla. She turns green with envy when I use CarPlay in my Lightning.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
There's a really good photoshop in the cybertruck site making the frunk into a huge rotisserie grill which looks amusing and convincing.

I have to wonder if part of the cyber truck thing is going to be having a wrap. While it makes sense to have some of the test trucks wrapped, you have to think making thousands of stainless steel trucks is going to get kinda boring. I wonder if Tesla has a strategy of pushing wraps as an accessory.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I've had my truck since December 1st. I've used the frunk maybe 8 times. I'm old, my kids are grown the backseat is almost always empty. the storage back there is bigger and more convenient than the frunk. the frunk is overrated. if they chopped off the frunk and made it more aerodynamic i'd be thrilled.

Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I've had my truck since December 1st. I've used the frunk maybe 8 times. I'm old, my kids are grown the backseat is almost always empty. the storage back there is bigger and more convenient than the frunk. the frunk is overrated. if they chopped off the frunk and made it more aerodynamic i'd be thrilled.
I agree- hardly ever use the frunk- I would definitely trade it for a foot longer bed. But I think Ford did a good job getting this truck designed and DELIVERED to customers much faster than Tesla. And with Ford building trucks for 100+ years they have figured out what people want. I held the CT reservation until I got my Lightning a year ago and then got the $100 back. We'll see if Chevy can really deliver- they are at least two years behind Ford. And Toyota is stuck back in dino-fuel times. My plan is to get the new Ford Electric Truck in 2026- smaller frunk- more streamlined- more range with the same size battery.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Counterpoint, I got my truck in Oct. of 2022 and use the frunk at least once a week. Just about my favorite part of the truck.

This is why lots of options are good! Different folks have different needs and wants.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Use cases are different for different folks and even the same folks with different vehicles. I almost never use the frunk in my Mach-E, but find it indispensable in my Lightning. I carry a full toolbox, tow rope, hitch drawbar, paper towels, grease wipes, my hearing protection, etc. in the Lightning frunk for use on my farm. Having all of that crap in the backseat area full-time would be a mess.

Its also nice when picking up takeout food to avoid getting those lingering smells in the cab!
Sponsored