First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
USAF
When I pulled in to the EA in Palm Springs, 2 were occupied and 2 showing error screens, I got in line. The next car came in and plugged in to one of the stations showing error and it reset and they got a charge. Since then I now will try when stations show errors, just in case I get that lucky.
I can confirm this. I was at the last DCFC stop on my roadtrip back to Tucson from LA. I arrived to the EA chargers at the Tucson Premium Outlets and all but one charger were occupied. Of course, the one unoccupied charger was 'unavailable' but me being tired decided to try it anyway in hopes a miracle would happen. I plugged it in and nothing happened for about 20 seconds, I was about to unplug it but the screen went dark and after 5 seconds the screen reset itself to the normal 'ready' screen and now had a tab on the left saying 'complimentary session'. I unplugged and plugged again and it worked like normal but free. Ever since this day, if I encounter an unavailable charger imma try it anyways.

Also a little tip, if you encounter an unavailable charger it doesn't hurt to call the EA customer service number because sometimes they can reset it. It doesn't always work but it has worked for me twice but expect the wait for someone to answer the phone to range from 5-20+ minutes.
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
There is a Shell in Longview right in the middle of your trip. Be prepared to pay 55c/kWhr, but it will be faster than any Tesla charger that will ever open up for you. So if you have a place to charge L2 in Houston you'll want to plan your trip carefully. This is one thing that will never change with EV's that is so different to ICE vehicles. If you want to charge at a fast rate you'll pay over 5 times as much; Tesla isn't going to change this, nothing is going to change this. It would be no different for ICE if we had gas spigots at every house. GAS pumps, brick and mortar stores, big holding tanks, etc cost a lot of money,, as do DCFCs. L2 charging is like buying fuel straight from the refinery at 1/4 the cost and no road tax. EV's are turning so many systems upside down, this is why it's so controversial, political, and disruptive. It's a wild time we're in, and nobody can predict the future.

1703199574106.png
appreciate the comments. I had plotted that out but it adds 1 1/2 hours and just makes the day too long. I could do it with just one stop in Longview, however plugshare reviews indicate their getting $.85/kwr. quite the ripoff. no worries, that's why our other vehicle is ICE.

It is also not lost on me that supercharger rates make traveling with the Lightning more expensive than the ICE truck I traded in particularly in cold weather.

When I got the lightning I knew that the infrastructure would catch up. the Tesla network speeds up where I thought we'd be by several years.

Last edited:

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I can confirm this. I was at the last DCFC stop on my roadtrip back to Tucson from LA. I arrived to the EA chargers at the Tucson Premium Outlets and all but one charger were occupied. Of course, the one unoccupied charger was 'unavailable' but me being tired decided to try it anyway in hopes a miracle would happen. I plugged it in and nothing happened for about 20 seconds, I was about to unplug it but the screen went dark and after 5 seconds the screen reset itself to the normal 'ready' screen and now had a tab on the left saying 'complimentary session'. I unplugged and plugged again and it worked like normal but free. Ever since this day, if I encounter an unavailable charger imma try it anyways.

Also a little tip, if you encounter an unavailable charger it doesn't hurt to call the EA customer service number because sometimes they can reset it. It doesn't always work but it has worked for me twice but expect the wait for someone to answer the phone to range from 5-20+ minutes.
I was once able to activate an EA charger that had a dead screen by using the Ford Pass App.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Has anyone heard from Ford about getting an adapter through them?

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
How do we tell the version level? There is a super charger in Hattiesburg Mississippi I'll need next year taking my daughter to school

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
How do we tell the version level? There is a super charger in Hattiesburg Mississippi I'll need next year taking my daughter to school
I think most V2 chargers are 150kw max. V3 are 250kW.
The one in Hattiesburg is listed on Tesla's map as 150kW max, so likely a V2.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger access for Ford EVs estimated to begin February 2024 (by Tesla) 1703655464817

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I have had situations in our 38,000 miles where my Ford Pass App would show an EA unit 'available', and yet when arriving, I see that the unit is 'dark'... but, don't let that, in itself, sway you - ACTIVATE the charge anyway and you might find that it's only the SCREEN that is dark, and you may find a charger that works that others completely shied away from. [Kennesaw, GEORGIA]

I had also a similar situation in [Bushnell FLORIDA] - EA unit would activate easily, would charge, but the screen showed '0' for the speed, and so did my APP, and yet the charging was happening. It DID fault after 10 minutes or so, but I restarted the Activation, and it worked well for another 10 or so, and again after that. I was never charged for those usages.

I've also ran into scenarios where a CHARGEPOINT unit did not even show up on CHARGEPOINT's OWN APP, and yet, there it was. It also did not show up on the Ford Pass App, but ONLY showed on GOOGLE MAPS...crazy?? Yes.
So, in that situation, HOW do you then ACTIVATE the unit? I tapped my phone to the 'pad' and voila', it provided the ability to activate via my Chargepoint account. This would probably only work if you had a Chargepoint ACCOUNT, and the 'card' in your 'wallet'...

I always say "give it a try"... as it can't hurt.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
from another vantage point, when dealing with charging 'deserts', of sorts, use PLUG SHARE to get another idea of any other 'options' for charging...sometimes your general searches thru the Ford Pass App and the charging provider apps won't show you the WHOLE story.
I've seen several Chevy dealers, KIA/HYUNDAI, Nissan, etc have their own 'third-party' no-name-brand DC FAST CHARGERS, which most of the time are also FREE... it may be a location of last resort, but it's another option, if so.

I also carry not only TWO 240v 30a EVSE charge modules/cables(one is adjustable), but also a 120v EVSE(Ford), several various ADAPTERS, and several heavy-duty extension cords, for those 'you never know' moments... a CAMPGROUND is also your savior in some situations, Especially if they have the 'larger' 240v 50amp electric option - which is what you want to plug into.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
On the MME Forum, another user posted this. "Ford Charge" coming this month and the website reflects Tesla as Spring 2024. Based on the description, I assume Ford Charge would be an app that allows Plug and Charge with all the providers. Hoping there's no added fee or inflated KW rates for convenience.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
On the MME Forum, another user posted this. "Ford Charge" coming this month and the website reflects Tesla as Spring 2024. Based on the description, I assume Ford Charge would be an app that allows Plug and Charge with all the providers. Hoping there's no added fee or inflated KW rates for convenience.
There is already an app, it’s called FordPass. That website states it is showing all the charging locations that are on the Blue Oval network. Ford Charge is likely the chargers being installed at dealerships. And Tesla is coming onboard in Spring 2024 as previously announced. All the other brands shown (Francis, evGo, etc.) are available today via the FordPass app.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
These 2 screen shots of my driving area show immediately the advantage of Tesla 250 and above available vs 150 for our truck. My issue is still Hattiesburg Mississippi since my daughter is going there next spring. There are dealership options, Chevy and GMC ironically no Ford for 50 slow charging and Tesla destination chargers near the hotel we plan to stay at. So will be parking and waiting to get 100% charge to get us back to Tuscaloosa mid point return.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger access for Ford EVs estimated to begin February 2024 (by Tesla) Screenshot_20240103_092222_PlugShare

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger access for Ford EVs estimated to begin February 2024 (by Tesla) Screenshot_20240103_092406_PlugShare

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
We probably have 2 more trips to Norfolk before my daughter depoys. I sure hope we get Tesla access Turnpike. Have to go again. EA is terrible on the Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
If it makes you feel any better, you don’t really want to charge on the V2s anyway. They can get super slow…

(That’s said, they’re still better than EA..)
barely, V2 power split between the A/B Posts so you'll get around 62 KW if both vehicles are low state of charge., Like being at a Chargepoint CPE 2500

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
These 2 screen shots of my driving area show immediately the advantage of Tesla 250 and above available vs 150 for our truck. My issue is still Hattiesburg Mississippi since my daughter is going there next spring. There are dealership options, Chevy and GMC ironically no Ford for 50 slow charging and Tesla destination chargers near the hotel we plan to stay at. So will be parking and waiting to get 100% charge to get us back to Tuscaloosa mid point return.

Screenshot_20240103_092222_PlugShare.jpg

Screenshot_20240103_092406_PlugShare.jpg
On Plugshare I’ve noticed that as you zoom out it reduces the number of chargers visible so there are more than these screenshots show. There should be both a V2 and a V3 site on the NC Outer Banks and neither show up.
Sponsored