Sponsored

When do you plan to replace your high voltage battery?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I average 8-10 years on vehicles, my goal is to get the Lightning to my 70th birthday, by then I probably won't be drag racing anymore, though I might still trailer to warmer climates with my street motorcycles in winter, how well it can perform that towing duty will determine if I replace or update my 2022 Lariat. I'd love to see that they have higher performance / power-density modules in 5 to 10 years from now that could be refitted into our packs.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We owned a hybrid for 9 years, and a PHEV for 3, and now Mach-Es and Lightning. NEVER have we NOTICED any degradation. I cannot imagine replacing the battery until such time, if I actually owned it still (probably won't), where performance was inadequate for my needs. At 8 years / 100,000 miles, Ford expects to EXCEED 70%. Replacement isn't an issue for 99.9% of owners.

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I think it will be unusual to find many Lightnings that are 95 months old that don't have over 100,000 miles, some will be closer to 200,000 miles.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I want to work about 8 to 10 more years. As long as the battery will get me through my commute, I'll keep driving it. Should have about 225k miles on it by then.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have read some surprising insightful posts on this thread and some not so much. The post referring to aircraft renovations particularly caught my attention. I had a lot of interest in buying an old airplane for a long time until I decided old airplanes are not particularly environmentally friendly but one thing I learned that stuck with me as that the value of an old aircraft is related to how many hours on the engine since the last major overhaul/replacement.

An aircraft with a fresh engine can demand a premium price whereas an aircraft with an engine with a lot of hours is not worth very much. I have been pitching this aspect as it relates to EV batteries for years, an EV with a fresh battery should demand a premium price compared to an EV with a lot of age on the battery. But there is a problem in that the EV industry does not currently do a very good job of determining the condition of used EV batteries.

There was one post that indicated that 99% of the Lightning owners would not have to worry about preplacing the battery, which may be true for the owners that bought new but these Lightnings that are new today are going to be around for decades and many will have multiple owners. Many people that replace batteries on old Lightnings will chose to buy used or refurbished batteries. There needs to be some kind of testing and reporting process so that people will have confidence in status of the replacement batteries.

The EV industry is still so young and EV sales volumes have been so low that battery recyclers really havenā€™t focused on replacement batteries. Fortunately for us Lightning sales have been so strong that there should be a pretty good Lightning battery recycling industry going by the time we need a battery. Right now, about the only choices we have are to buy a new battery or buy a wrecked Lightning and hope the battery isnā€™t damaged too badly.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
In Japan, the original Leaf's batteries are out living the vehicles. Nissan is now repurposing the used modules into power banks.
Ironic too, since the Leaf battery catches so much smack for its lack of thermal management. Definitely an issue for those use case scenarios that can torture such a battery. But there are so many Leafs that enjoy a long life in a low stress environment.

There needs to be some kind of testing and reporting process so that people will have confidence in status of the replacement batteries.
I would indeed want the equivalent tool(s) for any EV that I own that all Nissan Leaf owners have access to.
It's a smartphone app written to read/report/monitor the onboard EV parameters through the OBD port. Certainly makes it easy to see the most important values of a used Leaf. You instantly see the SOH of the HV battery, along with the charging history. And for monitoring your current Leaf you get REAL SOC, as well as things like battery temperature and realistic mileage estimates. You can even view the live delta between every battery cell/module's voltage.

A 5 year old Leaf on the Texas coast:

Ford F-150 Lightning When do you plan to replace your high voltage battery? 1000018232

Every EV make/model needs just one nerd-genius to develop a similar app.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I know that most of us think about our batteries being warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles. However, for California, the warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles. I would think that Ford and other OEMs are manufacturing to at least the California standard.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
When solid state batteries are available. šŸ˜‰

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've been asked this silly question many times, and my answer is always the same: with a question:

"when do you plan on replacing YOUR engine?"

I usually then just get a dumbfounded look...

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I've been asked this silly question many times, and my answer is always the same: with a question:

"when do you plan on replacing YOUR engine?"

I usually then just get a dumbfounded look...
EVs have a motor, not an engine but still a valid question. There are several big differences when comparing EV battery longevity with EV motor longevity. Factors related to motor replacement include failure mode, time frames and cost.

Unlike battery packs electric motor fail quickly once they start falling. Thereā€™s no discussion of electric motors degrading over time. Once an electric motor starts to fail it has to be replaced.

Itā€™s still an open question as to how often electric motors will have to be replaced. Some documents indicate that electric motors will last 15 to 20 years while others indicate you shouldnā€™t expect more than 100,000 miles out of electric motors. Itā€™s reasonable to expect the electric motors not to last as long as a well maintained battery packs.

Cost is probably the biggest reason why there is not as much discussion on EV motors longevity. EV replacement is relatively inexpensive compared to battery packs. You could go through several motor replacements before the cost even comes close to a single battery pack replacement.

Electric motor refurbishment is an old industry unlike battery pack refurbishment. We can expect to see after market companies offering replacement Lightning motors soon and at reasonable prices. I guess the big thing is that electric motor longevity is just not as mysterious as battery pack longevity.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs have a motor, not an engine but still a valid question. There are several big differences when comparing EV battery longevity with EV motor longevity. Factors related to motor replacement include failure mode, time frames and cost.

Unlike battery packs electric motor fail quickly once they start falling. Thereā€™s no discussion of electric motors degrading over time. Once an electric motor starts to fail it has to be replaced.

Itā€™s still an open question as to how often electric motors will have to be replaced. Some documents indicate that electric motors will last 15 to 20 years while others indicate you shouldnā€™t expect more than 100,000 miles out of electric motors. Itā€™s reasonable to expect the electric motors not to last as long as a well maintained battery packs.

Cost is probably the biggest reason why there is not as much discussion on EV motors longevity. EV replacement is relatively inexpensive compared to battery packs. You could go through several motor replacements before the cost even comes close to a single battery pack replacement.

Electric motor refurbishment is an old industry unlike battery pack refurbishment. We can expect to see after market companies offering replacement Lightning motors soon and at reasonable prices. I guess the big thing is that electric motor longevity is just not as mysterious as battery pack longevity.
I think you're missing the point being made. @hturnerfamily gets asked when he's going to replace his EV battery, and his response to the gas vehicle owner is "when are you going to replace your engine?"

Replacing a motor on an EV should be planned for like replacing your front left fender. It shouldn't.
Sponsored