First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
I take it you haven't DCFC often? The CCS network can be challenging and unreliable for many users. The SC is ubiquitous, reliable, and simple to use. Peak charging speeds don't matter unless you arrive at a lower SOC and only plan on charging 15 mins. I am perfectly fine with the SR charging curve up to 80%. I can get ~50kWh in about 45mins, if I arrive with 20% SOC and precondition. DCFC preconditioning and charger availability is what's important to me. The SC network makes the SR Lightning now a viable choice for most.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I take it you haven't DCFC often? The CCS network can be challenging and unreliable for many users. The SC is ubiquitous, reliable, and simple to use. Peak charging speeds don't matter unless you arrive at a lower SOC and only plan on charging 15 mins. I am perfectly fine with the SR charging curve up to 80%. I can get ~50kWh in about 45mins, if I arrive with 20% SOC and precondition. DCFC preconditioning and charger availability is what's important to me. The SC network makes the SR Lightning now a viable choice for most.
Exactly!!

OP
OP
Frankhpns

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
You are correct. I only plan on using my lightning on local trips (-200 miles). The system is somewhat chaotic now but manageable in my opinion. Until new battery technology comes on board in the future current EV's with the possible exception of Tesla's using their proprietary SC system take time to recharge compared to ICE vehicles.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
I don't see any advantage to having the Tesla Supercharger net availible to us using the adapter other then adding more charge stations. Correct me if I am wrong, my lightning (98kw) standard battery pack will only accept a maximum charge of 120kw DC or 11.5Kw AC.
Availability and reliability. Honestly those are the only two metrics that matter to me assuming we are talking about a legitimate DC fast charger (above 100kw)

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I have owned Tesla cars since ‘17 and a Lightning ER since ‘22. One of the advantages of Tesla Superchargers is that they are mostly conveniently located for those who are on road trips. I have found that my truck directs me many miles and minutes on city streets to get to a charger. This is infuriating.

Also my truck generally wants me to charge when the GOM shows 70 to 110 miles to empty. This is way too conservative, at least in the Northeast part of the country.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Frankhpns

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
When you say legitimate 100KW charger, what do you mean? I have not charged at any stations yet because I have a 70MWH solar system on the roof and have not taken any trips otherc then picking up the Lightning from the dealer who was about 190 miles away. Made it back with about 30 miles left. Cruised at 70mph.

DVader2023

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT, 65 Volkswagen Bug
Yesterday, I went to an EVGo station that had 2 hyperfast (350kwh) chargers with 4 total ports. I passed 2 SC(10 ports each) and there were 8 tesla chargers adjacent to the EVGo. 1 of the Hyperfast ports was down.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
from my 39,000+ miles of experience in my LIGHTNING Pro, many of that TOWING our camper, and two previous first-generation 70mile range Nissan LEAFS... having Tesla SUPERCHARGERs as an 'option' in the near future will do ONE main thing: lower range anxiety, or, better yet, CHARGE anxiety.

Even if we CCS vehicles don't use Superchargers, it will be nice to have those as an OPTION for those vast charge deserts where CCS charging is lax, unreliable, or non-existent. We CCS owners already know that our chargers are NOT reliable, NOT always at the speeds they advertise, and many times NOT in convenient or easy locations.
Tesla SUPERCHARGERs tend to also have MANY more units, typically 10-12 in many locations, especially near interstates and highly-used routes. It's rare to see a Supercharger location with less.

I don't see myself using Superchargers often, or rarely, but it will be NICE having them as an option, just in case. Chargepoint is typically reliable, but are either single units, or a set of two, but 'slow' speeds. Electrify America is generally more units per location, yes, but sometimes their installation in the 'main' rows of Walmart, and how their parking is set up, makes it not-so-easy with our big trucks... they are also not as reliable, even though sometimes they are very SPEEDY. EVgo seems to have good service, and has expanded in many locations with various Speed choices, and they also can provide charging to TWO vehicles at once, but don't have near the locations as the top-tier companies, at least not yet. Blink and others are growing, but not yet in enough areas to make them a go-to charger of choice.

The infrastructure is growing, yes, and we are now seeing more and more options - Tesla SUPERCHARGERs will instantly give us MANY MORE very soon.

With this in mind, I noticed today that a Buc-ees' on I75 South of WarnerRobins GEORGIA, and a VERY busy and visited location, has now installed THREE Mercedes branded CHARGEPOINT 'dual' 400kw units, right near the almost-new row of SIXTEEN SUPERCHARGERs. I'm now wondering if they are realizing that these new CCS chargers might not be as big of a 'deal' now that most manufacturers are moving toward NACS, and the soon-to-be-open Tesla Supercharger option. Oh well. It's good to have both, no matter. Mercedes can afford it.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers Buccees MERCEDES DCFC 150kw shared

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have owned Tesla cars since ‘17 and a Lightning ER since ‘22. One of the advantages of Tesla Superchargers is that they are mostly conveniently located for those who are on road trips. I have found that my truck directs me many miles and minutes on city streets to get to a charger. This is infuriating.

Also my truck generally wants me to charge when the GOM shows 70 to 110 miles to empty. This is way too conservative, at least in the Northeast part of the country.
Tips:

Use ABRP to plan your trip, not Ford's navigation. Use PlugShare to verify the location makes sense as far as reviews go. You can change the warning that comes up about low battery, if that's what you are referring to. Or is it the warning tied to the Pro Power, which you can also change?

When you say legitimate 100KW charger, what do you mean? I have not charged at any stations yet because I have a 70MWH solar system on the roof and have not taken any trips otherc then picking up the Lightning from the dealer who was about 190 miles away. Made it back with about 30 miles left. Cruised at 70mph.
Some DC fast chargers are 25kW. That's not fast.
Some are 125kW "shared". Unshared you might get 67kW.

An EA 350kW charger should give you, if functioning correctly, 170kW to start, and a good 110 - 120 for a while before slowing at 60% and then again at 80%.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Re RickLightning suggestion to use PlugShare to plan a route, I guess my Teslas have spoiled me. I just want to get in and drive. Then charge when I need to. Does Plugshare know that I may have a 20 mph headwind, hard rain, and hills? A cold snap?

Sponsored

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But I do thank Rick and will give Plugshare a try.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't see any advantage to having the Tesla Supercharger net availible to us using the adapter other then adding more charge stations. Correct me if I am wrong, my lightning (98kw) standard battery pack will only accept a maximum charge of 120kw DC or 11.5Kw AC.
I’ve seen upwards of 160-170kW on my SR at EA “Hyperfast” 350kW chargers. Two things are true:
1) the early spec floating around out there that said the SR could only charge up to 120kW is just wrong. Here’s a recent example where I averaged 165.7kW while adding almost 25kWh in 9min:
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers 1704991335829

2) I think the key to high charge speeds is current (amps), not kW rating. Due to the relatively low pack voltage of our Lightnings (low to mid-300V), we need a 500A charger output to be able to reach charge speed nirvana. The math is kW = V x A, so 165kW requires 500A to git ‘er done: 165,000W = 330V x 500A. EA “Hyperfast” 350kW, and Tesla Gen3 Superchargers, are capable of delivering the 500A we need- but the “150kW” chargers are not.

Update to earlier post: I have Max Tow Pkg on my SR. Could its additional battery cooling be allowing faster charge rates for longer intervals?? I know, I know, since 2022 the answer has been “No.” But the same wisdom said 120kW was the max charge rate for the SR…. might Ford have been “sandbagging” SR charge specs, to sell more higher$$ trucks?

Last edited:

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
If I drive north from here (just outside Boston), the last available 150kW CCS charging handle is about 35 minutes away. There are no 150kW CCS chargers after that until I get into Canada (in fact, only two 50kW CCS handles the entire way). On that same stretch of road there are *76* Supercharger handles at nine different Supercharger stations.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
That's a good looking charger👍. I like what Mercedes is doing with ChargePoint and branding chargers. I'm honestly surprised a legacy hasn't done this sooner. Unfortunately CHPT is trading like it's going bankrupt, down 80% since the SC announcement. I think ChargePoint has good hardware and software.
Sponsored