First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Screenshots disappeared but thought it showed a 39 version level. What are we up to @Mike G or @rugedraw ?
I assume he was having issues logging in as a first time user with the latest version. It happens a lot and using an older version of FDRS circumvents the issue.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Stupid thought. While brushing my teeth last night (!), the idea popped into my head that maybe Ford has locked up BCM updates because some bad guy has found a way to hack into the truck and steal it by forcing a BCM update. Since I know little about FDRS, it's easy to have wild ideas! 😀 That idea goes against info that some Ford reps think the BCM lock is a glitch and is supposed to be cured in the latest FDRS version (although we've seen in the 2nd post above this that it's not).

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Since I know little about FDRS, it's easy to have wild ideas! 😀 That idea goes against info that some Ford reps think the BCM lock is a glitch and is supposed to be cured in the latest FDRS version (although we've seen in the 2nd post above this that it's not)
Ford's history with software, firmware, and updates substantiates blithering endless incompetence over a hidden conspiracy :)

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Stupid thought. While brushing my teeth last night (!), the idea popped into my head that maybe Ford has locked up BCM updates because some bad guy has found a way to hack into the truck and steal it by forcing a BCM update. Since I know little about FDRS, it's easy to have wild ideas! 😀 That idea goes against info that some Ford reps think the BCM lock is a glitch and is supposed to be cured in the latest FDRS version (although we've seen in the 2nd post above this that it's not).
I did my BCM update along with the PDM, and DDM, and the FHCM on the 1st of May.

At that time there were no restrictions on updating the BCM. When I did that update FDRS was at 40.4.1. On the 7th of May 40.4.5 was released. And on the 20th of June 40.4.8 was released.

Other folks on the ICE F-150 forum started reporting issues with the BCM update requiring a NASTF login around the middle of May. And we started seeing the same thing here at that time.

It was a change done on the server end "for security reasons". I'm just glad I got mine done as soon as I did...because they broke it like a week later. I don't know if they broke it for just "Independent" operators like us or for everybody. I haven't seen any techs talking about this on their forum.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
There's a lot of nasty business going around with thieves plugging into diag ports and impersonating or adding keys to steal vehicles. Enrolling keys is one of the BCM functions in FDRS, isn't it? I would have to guess the restrictions on overwriting the BCM firmware are here to stay.

I looked into getting NASTF access - in theory my job probably qualifies me for it - but they want quite a bit of insurance, basically a locksmith's bond. I have been wondering if Forscan could be used for the BCM update instead (that said, if I had been asked to implement a change like this, I would have been darned sure it couldn't!).

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Looked around and found a screen shot, this is what I was getting when trying to perform the BCM update in FDRS:

1717800159329-91.png

And this is what I saw if I tried to log in with an NATSF account, which didn't work:

1717800332307-7l.png
Are you able to update FDRS and try again and see if it works with your NASTF login?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
It was a change done on the server end "for security reasons". I'm just glad I got mine done as soon as I did...because they broke it like a week later. I don't know if they broke it for just "Independent" operators like us or for everybody. I haven't seen any techs talking about this on their forum.
Fortunately, it does not affect users with dealer login credentials. I updated my BCM about 2 weeks ago and that of another member here who drove to me to get it done a few days later once I confirmed to him that I was able to do it.

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Are you able to update FDRS and try again and see if it works with your NASTF login?
I am still unable to do the BCM update, and from what I found from Ford I am not sure non-dealers will be able to unless you are a NASTF Professional with is impossible to get unless you have a business that is legit and you can prove it. Ford basically recently increased the security measures for non-dealers to harden security and it is basically what is causing the problem. Kind of sucks and maybe I am wrong but I do not think it is a bug.

PS I was informed of your role and did not know. So yeah basically from what I could tell reading NATSF forums was that it was a change to BCM updates in April or May. And basically since then I have not been able to do the BCM update, I started using FDRS in May. I think it wants a professional NATSF account not the free account.

Last edited:

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Flash 312A
Is the BCM a prerequisite for other updates? Are they still sending BCM updates OTA?

I got the 2 day FDRS license and updated everything but the BCM. There are other updates that I know are out there (like the damn IPC) that aren’t showing for me. I’m wondering if the BCM is maybe what’s holding me back.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Is the BCM a prerequisite for other updates? Are they still sending BCM updates OTA?

I got the 2 day FDRS license and updated everything but the BCM. There are other updates that I know are out there (like the damn IPC) that aren’t showing for me. I’m wondering if the BCM is maybe what’s holding me back.
Have any '23 models gotten that IPC update yet? I thought that went out to '22 models only so far. That's been a complaint for quite some time now.

The BCM update is a prereq for Walk-Away Locking. But outside of that, it's not a prereq for anything else that I'm aware of.
Sponsored