• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Destination Charge Question

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
I’m trying to find, but I probably suck at searching. Can we use the Tesla Destination Chargers? For some reason I thought we can’t, but I can’t seem to verify this. The reason I’m asking is I’ll be taking a trip and there is one spot that we will be hanging out for a few hours and I noticed right across the street is a Tesla Destination station. If we can in fact charge on these, then that would be handy, but I just can’t seem to find that we can or cannot.

Also, I tested my new A2Z adapter at a Supercharger, had to pay with the Tesla app but everything went pretty smooth.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
It requires a different adapter from the DC charging one. As Rick mentioned, not all are accessible. I daily charge on a Tesla mobile charger with a Lectron adapter. Anyway, best bet is to use the Tesla app to guide you to chargers open to non-Tesla's.

OP
OP
FloridaMan655321

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
Ok, thank you for clarifying. There are a decent amount of Super Chargers and newer EA chargers that I should be fine. Maybe after this trip I'll end up buying a few more adapters.

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
You need a Tesla to J-1772 adapter to take advantage of the free/paid Tesla destination chargers.

Tesla destination chargers (level 2) are commonly found at popular hotels / airbnb / shopping centers and parking lots.

Go ahead and search for Tesla destination chargers on Tesla Find Us page to see where they are located.

I have found many of them to be very useful on my roadtrip and help me avoid expensive fast charging.

Tesla Find Us Link

Feel free to use the below links or discount code "FORD" to save on 15% on products sold on A2Z website.

A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 Adapter

A2Z EV Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Destination Charge Question IMG_8411
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Destination Charge Question IMG_8412

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
It's been said by @RickLightning already but I'll say it again for emphasis. There is a setting inside the destination charger that can be set to "Tesla only". If that is set, then you can't charge there with a cheap adapter. I am under the impression that the "not cheap" adapter from TeslaTap has circuitry to bypass this check and should work with those chargers, but I can't confirm that personally.

If the charger is not set to Tesla only then yes anybody can charge there with the right adapter (different one from the Supercharger adapter).

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
It's been said by @RickLightning already but I'll say it again for emphasis. There is a setting inside the destination charger that can be set to "Tesla only". If that is set, then you can't charge there with a cheap adapter. I am under the impression that the "not cheap" adapter from TeslaTap has circuitry to bypass this check and should work with those chargers, but I can't confirm that personally.

If the charger is not set to Tesla only then yes anybody can charge there with the right adapter (different one from the Supercharger adapter).
In your experience is the Tesla app good at identifying which destination chargers are tesla only and which are open to other makes? It works well for Superchargers, just wondering if it's trustworthy for the destination chargers too.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I suggest the 60-amp TeslaTap for Tesla Destination charging points. Level 2, AC-only, perfect for charging while eating or sleeping or just walking about.

Example: I used it while taking the family through the Mount Rushmore National Monument in South Dakota back in Summer 2023. There were (still are, I guess) several "normal" J1772 Level 2 charging points, all taken up, and also several Tesla Destination Level 2 charging points just to their left, with some open stalls. A perfect charging time was had during our 2-hour visit.

My fav burger joint in Radcliff Kentucky also has two Tesla Destination points, which I use while grubbin' on my burger when I'm in town.

Last edited:

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I've found very little use to random destination chargers unless I can charge up overnight. I never bother with either destination or J1772 for a few hours to be honest. So many are pretty worn out and look like a fire waiting to happen. I'll road trip, fast charge to 80 to 90% and not worry.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I suggest the 60-amp TeslaTap for Tesla Destination charging points. Level 2, AC-only, perfect for charging while eating or sleeping or just walking about.

Example: I used it while taking the family through the Mount Rushmore National Monument in South Dakota back in Summer 2023. There were (still are, I guess) several "normal" J1772 Level 2 charging points, all taken up, and also several Tesla Destination Level 2 charging points just to their left, with some open stalls. A perfect charging time was had during our 2-hour visit.

My fav burger joint in Radcliff Kentucky also has two Tesla Destination points, which I use while grubbin' on my burger when I'm in town.
I suggest the 80amp A2Z, it's also less expensive. $95.20 with code FORDFORUM. https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?ref=Typhoon&variant=43186507579592

I've found very little use to random destination chargers unless I can charge up overnight. I never bother with either destination or J1772 for a few hours to be honest. So many are pretty worn out and look like a fire waiting to happen. I'll road trip, fast charge to 80 to 90% and not worry.
Agree. On a trip, I'm looking for DC fast chargers except overnight. In my experience since 2021, Tesla Destination chargers are generally FASTER than J-1772 chargers. We stayed at a hotel with one Tesla and four J-1772 and I tested the two types and verified that.

Sponsored

zinkscott

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Cloud Engineer
You need a Tesla to J-1772 adapter to take advantage of the free/paid Tesla destination chargers.

Tesla destination chargers (level 2) are commonly found at popular hotels / airbnb / shopping centers and parking lots.

Go ahead and search for Tesla destination chargers on Tesla Find Us page to see where they are located.

I have found many of them to be very useful on my roadtrip and help me avoid expensive fast charging.

Tesla Find Us Link

Feel free to use the below links or discount code "FORD" to save on 15% on products sold on A2Z website.

A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 Adapter

A2Z EV Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

IMG_8411.jpg
IMG_8412.jpg
I also have this adapter, works no problem. Their support is also good.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
In your experience is the Tesla app good at identifying which destination chargers are tesla only and which are open to other makes? It works well for Superchargers, just wondering if it's trustworthy for the destination chargers too.
I don't have a lot of experience. My one data point is one location at Lake Louise, AB where I couldn't charge and is not in the app. But I don't see any destination chargers at all in my Tesla app at the moment. A quick Google shows some stories about them being added recently, but nothing showing for me. The website doesn't have any indication of whether it's Tesla or non Tesla at that location. I suspect because it can be changed by the user/owner of the site, they probably don't bother trying to keep it up to date.

Triecke

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I charged this weekend at a hotel Tesla destination charger that wasn't shown in Tesla app. It worked great! Charged at 9 KW which was fine because I could charge all night for free and was full in the morning.

Triecke

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I charged this weekend at a hotel Tesla destination charger that wasn't shown in Tesla app. It worked great! Charged at 9 KW which was fine because I could charge all night for free and was full in the morning.
Attached screenshot from Tesla app for hotel (none shown) that had two destination chargers available.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Destination Charge Question Screenshot_20240923_130556_Tesla

OP
OP
FloridaMan655321

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
Attached screenshot from Tesla app for hotel (none shown) that had two destination chargers available.

Screenshot_20240923_130556_Tesla.jpg
Looks like you have some filters that would keep this from showing up. Specifically the 71-250kw ’button’.
Sponsored