Sponsored

Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I tried to use my A2Z for the first time this past weekend while on a LD trip and nothing but issues. I could not get it to communicate with the truck. I tried every possible combination of connecting it to get it to work. I do have the plug and charge update didn't' work.. tired without plug and charge enabled, nothing, tried directly from tesla app, nothing. Was really disappointed with it as the TSC network was what i planned the trip for. Yes it was fully seated and locked in, I also tried multiple SC NACS cable and nada. Now that I'm home the closest TSC V3/V4 from me is a good 40 mins away as Buffalo only has legacy V1/V2 SC's.
That sucks. I had issues getting mine to work P&C, but I've also been having issues getting P&C to work on EA, so I figure that's a Ford problem. No issues when I activated the session via the app. Not much you can do at the moment, but next time you're going long distance see if you can find a location with EA and SC near each other so you have a backup and then see if you can get A2Zs customer support on the line to help you work things out. I hear they're really good about it.
Sponsored

MyJoule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Platinum
I tried to use my A2Z for the first time this past weekend while on a LD trip and nothing but issues. I could not get it to communicate with the truck. I tried every possible combination of connecting it to get it to work. I do have the plug and charge update didn't' work.. tired without plug and charge enabled, nothing, tried directly from tesla app, nothing. Was really disappointed with it as the TSC network was what i planned the trip for. Yes it was fully seated and locked in, I also tried multiple SC NACS cable and nada. Now that I'm home the closest TSC V3/V4 from me is a good 40 mins away as Buffalo only has legacy V1/V2 SC's.
I know this is probably not the problem you experienced, but not all Tesla V3 Superchargers are Ford and Rivian enabled. You say you tried the Tesla App, so I guess that means the station you were trying to use was Ford enabled. But just wanted to make sure you know that not all are.

We completed a 1600 mile trip from AZ to WA last week using exclusively the A2Z Typhoon, and Enabled V3 Tesla Superchargers- using the Tesla app - to save $$ since the cost per KWH is less if you join the Tesla "club" for $12.99/month- Saved way more than $12.99 doing that and not using plug and charge from Ford. Too bad we couldn't use PnC. it just adds a minute or so to the stop while fumbling with the phone and the adapter. I did not have any issues with connecting the cable to the adapter after the first time I tried it before we left AZ. I was told to firmly push the NACS connector into the A2Z and the switch then will slide easily- that seemed to work. Once the switch slid - then plug the A2Z into the truck and the charge started < 1 min later. Slower than our Tesla to start charging on a V3, but about the same speed as it takes our Tesla to start charging on a V2 supercharger- All in all, it was a much more satisfying experience than when we made the same trip a year ago using Electrify America and EVgo.

dalesumjr

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro SR
That sucks. I had issues getting mine to work P&C, but I've also been having issues getting P&C to work on EA, so I figure that's a Ford problem. No issues when I activated the session via the app. Not much you can do at the moment, but next time you're going long distance see if you can find a location with EA and SC near each other so you have a backup and then see if you can get A2Zs customer support on the line to help you work things out. I hear they're really good about it.
I had zero issues with EA P&C worked flawlessly. I’m going to drive out this week to another TSC when I have some time and test it out again. It was super hot. I was sweating and super frustrated after 10 minutes of messing around with it.

dalesumjr

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro SR
I know this is probably not the problem you experienced, but not all Tesla V3 Superchargers are Ford and Rivian enabled. You say you tried the Tesla App, so I guess that means the station you were trying to use was Ford enabled. But just wanted to make sure you know that not all are.

We completed a 1600 mile trip from AZ to WA last week using exclusively the A2Z Typhoon, and Enabled V3 Tesla Superchargers- using the Tesla app - to save $$ since the cost per KWH is less if you join the Tesla "club" for $12.99/month- Saved way more than $12.99 doing that and not using plug and charge from Ford. Too bad we couldn't use PnC. it just adds a minute or so to the stop while fumbling with the phone and the adapter. I did not have any issues with connecting the cable to the adapter after the first time I tried it before we left AZ. I was told to firmly push the NACS connector into the A2Z and the switch then will slide easily- that seemed to work. Once the switch slid - then plug the A2Z into the truck and the charge started < 1 min later. Slower than our Tesla to start charging on a V3, but about the same speed as it takes our Tesla to start charging on a V2 supercharger- All in all, it was a much more satisfying experience than when we made the same trip a year ago using Electrify America and EVgo.
well I did check PlugShare and there was many positive reviews for the location with MME and F150’s so I felt I was good to go. Well that all went south. I had no issue with getting the nacs cable to the adapter. Everything locked into place it was firmly snug and locking switch moved freely. When locked I couldn’t pull the cable out. I even made sure it was in tight by pushing it on using the tire to make sure it was seated all the way in. I then plugged into the truck and it turned blue for a few seconds and then I was getting the red flashing ring. I’ll try again later this week with another TSC and see what happens. If not I’ll reach back out to A2Z.

Triecke

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Made a trip to Tahoe from Idaho over weekend. Temperatures were above 100 at each stop and I had no problem with my Lectron adapter. I stored it inside the truck cab at the recommendation of another post.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
After reading all the input and Tom's review I ordered the A2Z just over 2 weeks ago and received it yesterday. There are v3 stations near my work so I decided to try it out today as a test run.

The A2Z is heavier then I expected and was very tight trying to insert the Tesla plug. It failed the first time because I thought the lock was on but it wasn't. I ended up inserting the Tesla plug into the handle about a dozen times till it started to click easly and lock securely.

The truck initialized faster then any other station I've used, by the time I got back into the truck after the blue ring appeared, the Ford app showed a nice 171kw speed.

I was just trying it out with no real need and was taking care of some emails when a 2024 Flash backed into the 2 spaces over in the Tesla charging stations. I was worried they were just using the parking and not charging, but instead the lady came over and asked about the adaptor. We had a nice conversation and I pushed the stop button to disconnect. It was a bit difficult to remove because the line had very little slack and took some wiggling.

Getting closer will be critical for sure as others have noted. All in all I'm pleased with my test run and look forward to a better charging road trip experience.

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? 20240718_163549

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? Screenshot_20240718_163633_FordPass

Last edited:

Mike37

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning; 2010 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
So I just finished my 3000 mie round trip from Central Florida to Nj and back over 2 weeks. Exclusively used tesla changers (1 exception below) and my Lectron adapter. Some weird results.

1) Confirmed on both legs that the Lectron trips off when ambient temp is ABOVE 95 degrees every single time.
2) yesterday at the Buc ee's in Daytons Beach (my last charge!!) I received a tesla app error saying that my type of vehicle could NOT be charged at a Tesla Supercharger (after about 12-15 previous successes).
3) I figured this was some weird transient condition so I went over to the new Mercedes Benz CCS chargers they just installed. Was plug and play with a flash of my credit card. Very fast at greater than 160 KWh steady to 50%.This transaction has yet to show up on my credit card, interesting... These Mercedes chargers seem to be on the Chargepoint network.

So the equipment and the Lightning on Tesla "mostly" works but left me stuck several times where I had to scramble to figure out some stuff to get charged. Hopefully this gets better over the next few months.
I checked for the Daytona Buccees SC and skipped it because I think I remember that PlugShare logged it as “Tesla Only.”

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
That's interesting, I checked the Tesla app and it doesn't list Bucee's in Daytona or St Augustine as being available for NACS!!! I did charge at the Bucee's in Florence SC and that is listed in the tesla App as NACS compatible.

Thanks for the heads up...

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
That's interesting, I checked the Tesla app and it doesn't list Bucee's in Daytona or St Augustine as being available for NACS!!! ...
actually, Tesla shows not only BOTH of those locations as 'NACS Compatible' for the Ford and Rivian, but also the FLAGLER location and the StAugustine WAWA store...

You have to check the Tesla App's 'Open to NACS' option.
Do not include the 'Superchargers' option as that would include NON-Compatibles.

also, TWO in Jacksonville and another down in TITUSVILLE(Cape Canaveral) are NACS, too.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
So I just tried my A2Z adapter for the first time this morning. Didn't need a charge, was just a trial to see how it works. 16 stall location, only 2 people where there at 6:30am. Nice cool temps around 75F so no problems with heat. No bollards so I was able to creep up close and had sufficient slack to reach. There was one spot with the charger for tesla's to use pulling in but someone was charging next to it so I decided to give him some space and pulled in at the far end.

It took me a couple minute and several attempts to get the A2D fully seated. I was able to see scratch marks on the NACS handle and indicated I probably wasn't in all the way. On the 4th or 5th attempt I felt it slide in that last half an inch and the A2D lock switch slid easily. Took maybe 30s to initiate charge and it ramped up to 163kW very quickly. I went from 53% to 60% in 3 min, very happy and looking forward to using this on road trips.

Shout out to @RickLightning for prodding me to buy it, Lord knows if/when Ford gets around to shipping theirs. I have no worries now for travel.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
It took me a couple minute and several attempts to get the A2D fully seated. I was able to see scratch marks on the NACS handle and indicated I probably wasn't in all the way. On the 4th or 5th attempt I felt it slide in that last half an inch and the A2D lock switch slid easily.
My experience with the A2Z adapter was similar - the first couple of times, it was quite snug and a challenge to get the lock to work (but it always did after a little fiddling). On the third or so session, it was smooth as butter. Great product, just needs a little breaking in.
Sponsored