• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
The fact that you can use the charging app while driving is very helpful. You have to use outside apps to get Tesla charging locations before.
Sponsored

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The fact that you can use the charging app while driving is very helpful. You have to use outside apps to get Tesla charging locations before.
Heck since I got update 6.14 my public charging app hasn't worked at all. Just loads to nothing most of the time. Yesterday it looked like a white screen that someone was working on with a computer and when time to go came, they just left work half finished with something. I guess they are really taking this karaoke thing seriously.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
For some reason my software check in the truck got stuck at "Getting the latest software updates...". I am on 6.14 and it just started doing this about a week ago. I thought it would fix itself, but nothing changed as of today. Checked connectivity to make sure it wasn't turned off and it was on. Tried pulling fuse 32 (didn't help), but disconnecting the LVB today for 10 seconds fixed it.

Before I fixed it, I was trying to install a FDRS APIM update and the truck didn't give me the normal popup even after waiting 10+ minutes. After taking the LVB off for 10 seconds and starting back up, the USB got recognized almost instantly and it is now updating.

EDIT: APIM update finished, but I don't see anything obviously different. I also did passenger and driver door updates and some dc one as well in FDRS. No updates after several refreshes, so looks like I am caught up. Software update screen in truck still works and shows the last OTA I got (6.14).

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
For some reason my software check in the truck got stuck at "Getting the latest software updates...". I am on 6.14 and it just started doing this about a week ago. I thought it would fix itself, but nothing changed as of today. Checked connectivity to make sure it wasn't turned off and it was on. Tried pulling fuse 32 (didn't help), but disconnecting the LVB today for 10 seconds fixed it.

Before I fixed it, I was trying to install a FDRS APIM update and the truck didn't give me the normal popup even after waiting 10+ minutes. After taking the LVB off for 10 seconds and starting back up, the USB got recognized almost instantly and it is now updating.
I reported I believe earlier in this thread I had the same problem - my update check screen was stuck. I also pulled the battery cable last night and then it worked again.

@rugedraw had suggested a week or so back I reboot a couple of modules with Forscan, but that was before 6.14 downloaded for me. I received that update and then the freeze.

Ford has something amiss, but at least I'm checking for updates again.

Sponsored

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
The difference is Tesla's updates included vehicle functionality improvements, bug fixes, and new functions first. Then at the end was the fun stuff going with it like new games or new farting sounds. Cybertruck aside, they never prioritized the fart sounds over needed updates/improvements.

Tesla's market is a little different too. There is a lot of love among Tesla owners for the fun stuff. New games and new farting noises are actually popular and actually used by lots of people. Especially people who are 100% supercharging and not home charging. The market for F150s is largely not looking for games and farting sounds.
I would agree mostly, however I would argue there are software fixes in this update. If anything the patch notes suck for Ford but I see improvements even with the updates that don't state they fixed anything.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE

EDIT: APIM update finished, but I don't see anything obviously different. I also did passenger and driver door updates and some dc one as well in FDRS. No updates after several refreshes, so looks like I am caught up. Software update screen in truck still works and shows the last OTA I got (6.14).
My check updates is doing the exact same thing. Never ending check....

I will try disconnecting the battery next.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
My check updates is doing the exact same thing. Never ending check....

I will try disconnecting the battery next.
I probably should have tried rebooting the GWM or a few modules, but I just went for the hard kill at the battery too. I left it off for 10 minutes, but @sstevetx said he disconnected and put it right back on, so it just takes enough to power down and boot back up.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I probably should have tried rebooting the GWM or a few modules, but I just went for the hard kill at the battery too. I left it off for 10 minutes, but @sstevetx said he disconnected and put it right back on, so it just takes enough to power down and boot back up.
@Robob and I were discussing this and I did disconnect the battery this morning. I’m now enjoying a second cup of coffee and watching the Sync screen “Software Updating…” banner as a result. Yesterday my truck refused to upload the new APIM update at all no matter what I tried. And like others I was getting the never ending Check Updates thing that never finds anything.

Hopefully all good now.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The next time I see this on either my Lightning or the Mach-E I'm getting the 10mm wrench out and disconnecting the 12V battery before trying anything else. I spent over two hours yesterday chasing FDRS configuration, USB formatting and re-formatting, manifest issues....And all it needed was a short nap to come back to it's senses. I think it was caused (maybe) by that short gateway update OTA we got before this APIM update showed up. I realize not everybody had the same experience I did and some got this update without any issues at all. But I definitely learned something from this.

Props to @Robob for suggesting this to me this morning!

Sponsored

Robob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24’ Flash
Occupation
Auto Parts & Paint/Body Supplies
Glad you got it sorted. It always surprises me how the old unplug and plug it back in trick works on everything

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The DC-DC converter doesn't come on to power the 12v system when the 12v battery is disconnected? Does it recognize the battery is disconnected and shut that down I'm guessing?
The 12v LVB is crucial to booting the trucks logic controls and high energy contactors, without it, nothing is active.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
For those of us who haven't been made aware of this update speed-up trick... if / when FDRS prompts us to insert a USB, it really helps to substitute a relatively cheap yet always always wayyy faster portable SSD with a USB dongle, for that USB. FDRS won't ever notice... but you'll definitely notice the increased download and write speeds.

SSD download and read / write speeds are always much faster than any currently available USB, and of course an SSD will not choke on the size of a download.

I use an Ethernet cable between my FIOS modem and the laptop in the car for extra speed in such "6 GB" downloading updates. Two+ years and three (at least) Synch version updates and other big updates to the IPMA, etc. on the Mach E prepared me for these Lightning updates he hee... hope this is helpful to someone out there.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
The next time I see this on either my Lightning or the Mach-E I'm getting the 10mm wrench out and disconnecting the 12V battery before trying anything else. I spent over two hours yesterday chasing FDRS configuration, USB formatting and re-formatting, manifest issues....And all it needed was a short nap to come back to it's senses. I think it was caused (maybe) by that short gateway update OTA we got before this APIM update showed up. I realize not everybody had the same experience I did and some got this update without any issues at all. But I definitely learned something from this.

Props to @Robob for suggesting this to me this morning!
Serious question: did the newest apim udpate produce the software notes or give you the karaoke app ? The update went through for me and I'm on version 1278 but I have neither.
Sponsored