• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

Clay9839

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I am adding my 2022 Platinum to the list of affected vehicles. Build date of 6/22 on the door sticker.

I ended up with the red ring on my charging port, reduced output power, plus the inability to charge. Orange wrench icon on my dash, and similar error message in FordPass as others in this thread. I just scheduled my truck to get taken in to the dealer for a battery module recall this Thursday so I will add this to their list of things to check out when I get there.

I am at 36,212 miles so this problem just popped up right outside of my bumper to bumper warranty term.

Edited to fix a typo: 36k not 30k.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I am adding my 2022 Platinum to the list of affected vehicles. Build date of 6/22 on the door sticker.

I ended up with the red ring on my charging port, reduced output power, plus the inability to charge. Orange wrench icon on my dash, and similar error message in FordPass as others in this thread. I just scheduled my truck to get taken in to the dealer for a battery module recall this Thursday so I will add this to their list of things to check out when I get there.

I am at 30,212 miles so this problem just popped up right outside of my bumper to bumper warranty term.
I hope you are still covered! Should be - I think the powertrain warranty is longer.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Update on my case:
Replacement parts took 2 weeks to arrive. (Came from Canada, of all places.)
Work started the week of the 17th. I called to check on progress on 7/20 and they told me they were stuck at the stage of programming the battery cells because of the CDK cyber attack. On 7/21 I guess someone at the dealer got wise and figured they could reach out to Ford engineers directly to get the software package they needed to do the cell programming. Got it done that night and I picked it up. All driving since then has been normal. Issue appears to be resolved.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

I am at 30,212 miles so this problem just popped up right outside of my bumper to bumper warranty term.
Bumper to bumper is 36k/3yr, but the battery is covered for 100k/8yr so you will be covered for the repair. Hopefully it goes smoothly and quickly. I'd like to think Ford/Dealers are getting better at this.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Sponsored

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Bumper to bumper is 36k/3yr, but the battery is covered for 100k/8yr so you will be covered for the repair. Hopefully it goes smoothly and quickly. I'd like to think Ford/Dealers are getting better at this.
I agree about the dealers getting better at it. Aside from the hiccup with the cyber attack, they were pretty spot on with what needed to be done, how long it would take to get the parts and how long it would take to do the work.

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
About a month after I got all the recalls done I got the message that I would get every so often before the recall. This time is it different the others went away after letting the truck set. This has been there for 3 days days now. To add insult to injury when I charged it last night it charged a bit and then gave me a charge error. It stopped at 64% and says charging error. I have tried unplugging it and trying again to no avail. The truck is limited to 57% power as well? I hooked up a code reader and it is telling me POB24-21 Battery Energy Control Module
Hybrid/(EV) Battery 'A' Voltage Unstable. I have an appointment at Grapevine Ford tomorrow morning but they won't have rental cars for a day or two so i am stuck. Is this a battery replacement most likely or something else? I love this truck but I am starting to worry about its reliability long term.

Thanks,
Jason

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just found this thread after posting a question. I think I am in the same boat.
About a month after I got all the recalls done I got the message that I would get every so often before the recall. This time is it different the others went away after letting the truck set. This has been there for 3 days days now. To add insult to injury when I charged it last night it charged a bit and then gave me a charge error. It stopped at 64% and says charging error. I have tried unplugging it and trying again to no avail. The truck is limited to 57% power as well? I hooked up a code reader and it is telling me POB24-21 Battery Energy Control Module
Hybrid/(EV) Battery 'A' Voltage Unstable. I have an appointment at Grapevine Ford tomorrow morning but they won't have rental cars for a day or two so i am stuck. Is this a battery replacement most likely or something else? I love this truck but I am starting to worry about its reliability long term. Do they replace the whole battery or just one part? Do the other parts have problems as well?
2022 ER Lariat with 22257 miles.

Last edited:

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. Same power reduction (57%) and same SOC charging fault (65%). In my case they needed to replace one battery module. The part took about a week to arrive, and the work to install and get the battery reprogrammed was another two days. Good news is that the process appears to be well documented - the techs know what needs to be done and how to do it. No issues since I got it back which was several weeks ago and I've done a couple medium long trips since then.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

Sponsored

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. Same power reduction (57%) and same SOC charging fault (65%). In my case they needed to replace one battery module. The part took about a week to arrive, and the work to install and get the battery reprogrammed was another two days. Good news is that the process appears to be well documented - the techs know what needs to be done and how to do it. No issues since I got it back which was several weeks ago and I've done a couple medium long trips since then.
That is good to hear hopefully I can get a rental car soon

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wow I am shocked to see over 500 of these on the tracking sheet just from this one site.
Seeing the number of different modules it doesn't seem too isolated.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Wow I am shocked to see over 500 of these on the tracking sheet just from this one site.
Actually, my spreadsheet (in my signature below) is using over 500 lines, but lots of spaces between threads and some folks did not have battery modules replaced. Although, a few have had more than one battery module replaced! And the threads or reports are from more than just this wonderful f150lightningforum.

2022 build trucks seem to be the most burdened with poor quality control on the battery cells. Ford predicted 4% of trucks would have bad modules. Wish they would just swap out our 2022 complete battery packs (6 or 9 modules, not sure of the number of cells in the various modules) with the latest builds that hopefully have a much lower fail rate. Although, again, @MickeyAO 's reporting of testing of the cells seemed to hint that they could be a little too easily stressed with long (large "delta") DCFC charging times / ranges for his tastes. Not sure how new the cells are that he is testing. And I think his testing can be a bit more extreme than our Ford Battery Monitoring System would allow?

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just found this thread after posting a question. I think I am in the same boat.
Hybrid/(EV) Battery 'A' Voltage Unstable. I have an appointment at Grapevine Ford tomorrow morning but they won't have rental cars for a day or two so i am stuck. Is this a battery replacement most likely or something else? I love this truck but I am starting to worry about its reliability long term. Do they replace the whole battery or just one part? Do the other parts have problems as well?
2022 ER Lariat with 22257 miles.
Hi there, Jason. This powertrain concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Lightning truck. Should you need further assistance, please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer and I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

woodrax

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I started receiving this error again a couple of days ago, after having the error back in January, and having it clear itself. This time, the error is being persistent and, oddly, we are also getting a “Charging Port Door is Open” error, even when it is closed.

We will be taking the truck in this time, once my mother-in-law is well enough to drive (it is primarily her vehicle).
Sponsored