Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Great shot. I have only done DCFC a few times and there were always a display on charging station I could use to stop charging. How did you stop the charging session?
The best way to stop a DC charging session is to press the button on the charge port. When I stop using the charger screen, I always get an error in the vehicle.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
So I was chatting with the A2Z company that is making one of the adapters. Asked the about an extension cord for DC charging. They replied, yes they are also working on an extension cord:

Looking for an adapter for my CCS Ford Lightning for Tesla Superhcarging. I know you have one aleady. But the problem is the cord length because the Ford Lightning charge port is forward on the Driver side just in front of the door.
Any chance you could make an adapter with a 6 or 8 ft extension for high power DC fast charging?
A2Z EV
Hi there. We are finishing up a DC extension cord which will be 3 to 9 ft. It should be available early 2024. We are doing safety testings.
I highly doubt Ford will manufacture their own adapters. Thats not their business. If A2Z is truly testing these adapters and extensions, then I hope Ford can endorse them as an official product. An extensions for a Tesla supercharger would be clutch.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
So I was chatting with the A2Z company that is making one of the adapters. Asked them about an extension cord for DC charging. They replied, yes they are also working on an extension cord:

Looking for an adapter for my CCS Ford Lightning for Tesla Superhcarging. I know you have one aleady. But the problem is the cord length because the Ford Lightning charge port is forward on the driver side just in front of the door.​

Any chance you could make an adapter with a 6 or 8 ft extension for high power DC fast charging?​
A2Z EV
Hi there. We are finishing up a DC extension cord which will be 3 to 9 ft. It should be available early 2024. We are doing safety testings.​
(re-posted to fix formatting)

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
So I was chatting with the A2Z company that is making one of the adapters. Asked them about an extension cord for DC charging. They replied, yes they are also working on an extension cord:

Looking for an adapter for my CCS Ford Lightning for Tesla Superhcarging. I know you have one aleady. But the problem is the cord length because the Ford Lightning charge port is forward on the driver side just in front of the door.​

Any chance you could make an adapter with a 6 or 8 ft extension for high power DC fast charging?​
A2Z EV
Hi there. We are finishing up a DC extension cord which will be 3 to 9 ft. It should be available early 2024. We are doing safety testings.​
(re-posted to fix formatting)
it will be interesting if so, because there's quite a lot of people here and on reddit saying an extension is 100% impossible.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
it will be interesting if so, because there's quite a lot of people here and on reddit saying an extension is 100% impossible.
Nothing is impossible. Without cable cooling, it would just be heavy. And probably expensive. But not impossible.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You can activate EA chargers by swiping in the app as noted. Works fine for me. I have never used the scan your phone option, had issues so never tried that way again.

Plug and Charge, P&C. Not P&P.

I have to laugh when people say they don't care about a 25% discount. Must not drive very much. At many EA locations, the rate is 56 cents per kWh. If you take a 600 mile trip, and leave with a full charge, that is a savings of:

600/1.7 = 353kWh

131Ɨ.8= 105 from home

353 - 105 = 248

248 x (56x.25) = $34.72 savings minus $7 fee = $27.42 savings on one 600 mile trip...

Also, for those that don't light their money on fire...

Costco members save 4% on EV charging. EA processes just fine. Ford does not, it is not coded as an EV charging company.

248 x (.56x.75) x .04= $4.17 more savings.

So, in one short 600 mile trip, EA saves $38.89 over Ford BlueOval network. That's 2 beers and 2 burgers...

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date giant-bomb-ryan-davis

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The best way to stop a DC charging session is to press the button on the charge port. When I stop using the charger screen, I always get an error in the vehicle.
Every action is done via the Tesla App. Undock, start charging, end charging are on the App. I have to admit these Tesla chargers look so simple. No screen, no buttons, no credit card reader. Not much to fail. I used the SC site near Ft Worth Texas a couple of times. This site even has a ā€œLightningā€ friendly configuration with a charger at right angles to the others one the end you can pull right up too.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Every action is done via the Tesla App. Undock, start charging, end charging are on the App. I have to admit these Tesla chargers look so simple. No screen, no buttons, no credit card reader. Not much to fail. I used the SC site near Ft Worth Texas a couple of times. This site even has a ā€œLightningā€ friendly configuration with a charger at right angles to the others one the end you can pull right up too.
I would expect that stopping the session using the Tesla app will cause the truck to show a charging error. Iā€™d be interested in hearing from someone whoā€˜s done it.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
You can activate EA chargers by swiping in the app as noted. Works fine for me. I have never used the scan your phone option, had issues so never tried that way again.

Plug and Charge, P&C. Not P&P.

I have to laugh when people say they don't care about a 25% discount. Must not drive very much. At many EA locations, the rate is 56 cents per kWh. If you take a 600 mile trip, and leave with a full charge, that is a savings of:

600/1.7 = 353kWh

131Ɨ.8= 105 from home

353 - 105 = 248

248 x (56x.25) = $34.72 savings minus $7 fee = $27.42 savings on one 600 mile trip...

Also, for those that don't light their money on fire...

Costco members save 4% on EV charging. EA processes just fine. Ford does not, it is not coded as an EV charging company.

248 x (.56x.75) x .04= $4.17 more savings.

So, in one short 600 mile trip, EA saves $38.89 over Ford BlueOval network. That's 2 beers and 2 burgers...

giant-bomb-ryan-davis.gif
Well Iā€™m a 100% believer in time is money. So across a 600 mile road trip, Iā€™m probably taking the gasser. Especially at $2.70 a gallon, and in winter.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This simplicity is gold. However the govt is messing with that. For the new rules and money you must have a screen and cc reader - so the v4 SC'ers that are just being rolled out have those options. Tesla has a beautiful world now, changes are coming however.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I would expect that stopping the session using the Tesla app will cause the truck to show a charging error. Iā€™d be interested in hearing from someone whoā€˜s done it.
Over a year ago my first DCFC sessions would cause an error in the truck when stopping the session and using the screen on a Francis (Oklahoma) charger to stop the session.

However since then, using that very same Tesla charger in FW that has been mentioned and numerous times using the Francis chargers - stopping the session by pressing the button on the screen of the charger - I have NOT had an error in the truck for over a year.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Well Iā€™m a 100% believer in time is money. So across a 600 mile road trip, Iā€™m probably taking the gasser. Especially at $2.70 a gallon, and in winter.
I had the same mindset before retiring. With no kids in the vehicle, and no timetable that we have to make, what's the point of rushing to get there sooner?

On many trips over the years, I would push it and do 12, 14 hours in a day. I'd arrived tired and wired, and the next morning I'd feel it.

On a 1,200 mile trip to visit family, I'm not doing that in one day regardless of what I drive. Even driving the EV, if you plan the trip you're not adding a tremendous amount of time. It's around 18 hours of driving regardless. Charge at a hotel, hopefully for free, and that removes one charging stop. 3 stops each day, maybe 3.5 hours of charging not counting the hotel. If you figure during a gas drive you stop every 3 hours for a bathroom break of 15 minutes, that's a net increase of about 2.5 hours on an 18 hour drive.

As to cost, on our 4,708 mile trip, 36% of the charging was free...

Reactions: GDN

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
How do you determine losing market share? Tesla will likely sell 1.8 million BEVs in 2023. Tesla still sells more BEVs than all US manufacturers combined. They also have positive margins. They lowered prices primarily to offset higher rates. Itā€™s an affordability crisis that is affecting the entire industryā€™s. Fed QT worked, and a lot of people stopped buying vehicles. Ford just cut 2024 Lightning production in half. They donā€™t want to sell trucks for $40-60k. They need to sell at $80k and limit sales of cheaper trucks to make the platform viable. Itā€™s possible CT production could exceed lightning production in 2024. The CCS charging network is getting worse, while the SC network strengthens and grows exponentially. I see SC access as a lifeline from Tesla. Tesla cannot convert the industry to electric alone and adequate DCFC coverage is mandatory. As someone who regularly DCFCs at EA and Tesla, itā€™s quite obvious who needed who. If Ford didn't announce SC access for 2024, Lightning new and used values would have suffered even more.
Telsa is lacking in fit and finish and frankly, in my humble opinion, their truck is plain ugly. The problem with an 80K truck is, unless you're an "ethusiast" like the folks on the forum, you aren't going to pay more to get all headaches and hassles of owning something that requires the amount of "overhead" that a BEV has.

ICE TRUCK
Go to your mechanic or any number of ones that can fix it
Stop for gas and get back on the road
Why would call an electrician to make using my transportation easy??
If it's cold, I just turn up the heat
Etc etc.

Yes, there are longer term reasons owning a BEV is good, environmental, PERHAPS a lower cost to maintain and maybe cheaper per mile but that's not important enough for a lot folks.

Telsa made BEV's cool but is that enough to sustain a broader market given the "hassles" of owning one??

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Telsa is lacking in fit and finish and frankly, in my humble opinion, their truck is plain ugly. The problem with an 80K truck is, unless you're an "ethusiast" like the folks on the forum, you aren't going to pay more to get all headaches and hassles of owning something that requires the amount of "overhead" that a BEV has.

ICE TRUCK
Go to your mechanic or any number of ones that can fix it
Stop for gas and get back on the road
Why would call an electrician to make using my transportation easy??
If it's cold, I just turn up the heat
Etc etc.

Yes, there are longer term reasons owning a BEV is good, environmental, PERHAPS a lower cost to maintain and maybe cheaper per mile but that's not important enough for a lot folks.

Telsa made BEV's cool but is that enough to sustain a broader market given the "hassles" of owning one??
Every new technology comes with warts and problems. Kudos to Tesla for opening up the concept. If it was left to the Big 3 we would still be waiting.
Too many people buying Lightnings should not. (Just read all of the posts whining about problems of early technology because they jumped in without doing due diligence about BEVā€™s and pickup trucks.) Let some of them switch to Teslaā€™s truck. I donā€™t think the local electricians and plumbers will.
Sponsored