First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
ABRP isn't live, but when you plan a trip in it it uses weather for that time of year. You can see this by planning a trip on 7/1 and then redoing it on 2/1, and you'll see more charging. ABRP has a premium version that costs $5 a month or $50 a year that pulls in more live stuff. I've never had a reason to pay for it.
If you make regular long distance trips in your EV then I think the subscription ABRP is very worth it especially in the southwestern states. In the southeastern states weather can change drastically in just a few minutes. Sudden weather changes like strong headwinds can really get you in trouble if you donā€™t know about how they will impact your EV range.
Sponsored

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
No, if you depend on Electrify America, you will be dead in the road. Tesla's supercharge stations are more plentiful and reliable. Trust me the Tesla Superchargers are a blessing. You will not be sorry

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I have owned Tesla cars since ā€˜17 and a Lightning ER since ā€˜22. One of the advantages of Tesla Superchargers is that they are mostly conveniently located for those who are on road trips. I have found that my truck directs me many miles and minutes on city streets to get to a charger. This is infuriating.

Also my truck generally wants me to charge when the GOM shows 70 to 110 miles to empty. This is way too conservative, at least in the Northeast part of the country.
Apparently, you have never been out of battery juice

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
No, if you depend on Electrify America, you will be dead in the road. Tesla's supercharge stations are more plentiful and reliable. Trust me the Tesla Superchargers are a blessing. You will not be sorry
I have depended on EA chargers since 2018 and not once have I been left dead on the road. I want access to the Superchargers but itā€™s not because Iā€™m afraid of depending on EA chargers. Quite the contrary, if I have a choice between EA chargers and Superchargers I would choose EA chargers.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I used both and Tesla Superchargers are 100% more reliable

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have depended on EA chargers since 2018 and not once have I been left dead on the road. I want access to the Superchargers but itā€™s not because Iā€™m afraid of depending on EA chargers. Quite the contrary, if I have a choice between EA chargers and Superchargers I would choose EA chargers.
In western Pennsylvania, Tesla SC costs 15% more than EA. SC is backup plan only for me.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I received the production version of the A2Z Typhoon adapter. Now Iā€™m waiting on Tesla and the Blue Oval charge network to activate.
IMG_3703.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
How is the look and feel of the adapter?

jpblincoln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The adapter is solid weighting in at 1 lbs 12 ounces.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
what do you estimate it costs to go from 20% to 80%
It's priceless if you are on the road and need a charger in the right place at the right time and you don't have to worry if it is going to work or not or if there is a Bolt plugged in trying to get to 100%.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
what do you estimate it costs to go from 20% to 80%
Around here, EA member pricing is usually $.37/kWh. So, ~$30 to go from 20-80%. If Tesla was 15% more it'd be closer to $35.

That difference in price is inconsequential to me in a road trip setting (which is the only time I DC charge) - availability, speed, reliability, convenience and nearby amenities would all have a much bigger influence on where I'd choose to charge.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Once I can charge at Tesla, I never intend to visit EA ever again.

Their stations are all minimum 12 stalls, and they work reliably. And in my experience, they tend to be in all of the prime locations -- Tesla will be at a Panera, and EA will be at a slummy Walmart.

The number one criteria isn't price -- it's reliability. If Tesla charges $5 more for a reliable charging experience, then I'll be happy to pay.

Biggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I received the production version of the A2Z Typhoon adapter. Now Iā€™m waiting on Tesla and the Blue Oval charge network to activate.
IMG_3703.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
I currently carry a Tesla to J1772 adapter in case I need to use a tesla destination charger. I was assuming that I would get rid of it and just carry this new Tesla to CCS adapter, which would cover both superchargers and level 2 charging as well.

But your documentation clearly says that this is not compatible with level 2 AC charging. I am surprised to see that. You would think if it is rated to handle a supercharger, it could handle slow AC charging. I guess that means Iā€™ll have to keep carrying both adapters just in case.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I currently carry a Tesla to J1772 adapter in case I need to use a tesla destination charger. I was assuming that I would get rid of it and just carry this new Tesla to CCS adapter, which would cover both superchargers and level 2 charging as well.

But your documentation clearly says that this is not compatible with level 2 AC charging. I am surprised to see that. You would think if it is rated to handle a supercharger, it could handle slow AC charging. I guess that means Iā€™ll have to keep carrying both adapters just in case.
Correct. Has nothing to do with rating, has to do with the pins used to charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Once I can charge at Tesla, I never intend to visit EA ever again.

Their stations are all minimum 12 stalls, and they work reliably. And in my experience, they tend to be in all of the prime locations -- Tesla will be at a Panera, and EA will be at a slummy Walmart.

The number one criteria isn't price -- it's reliability. If Tesla charges $5 more for a reliable charging experience, then I'll be happy to pay.
I tend to agree. The fuel cost to DCFC is always high. Paying a bit more for reliability works for me. I donā€™t do a lot of road-tripping, so in a yearā€™s time, I might be paying an extra $50. Thatā€™s fine.
Sponsored