Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting note: At one point after the sensor replacement, my truck sat for a week without being driven. I checked the 12V SoC and it was at 48%. I drove it the next day for 6 miles (about 15 minutes) and checked again. It showed 93%. Either it can recharge really fast, or there’s a problem in how the numbers get reported on Ford”s website.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Interesting note: At one point after the sensor replacement, my truck sat for a week without being driven. I checked the 12V SoC and it was at 48%. I drove it the next day for 6 miles (about 15 minutes) and checked again. It showed 93%. Either it can recharge really fast, or there’s a problem in how the numbers get reported on Ford”s website.
My routine is
Do a pulldown refresh on the vehicle status on the Fordpass app, wait a minute....
Log onto Ford.com, check my account status screens, it'll have the current data for the refresh.

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
Completed yesterday via mobile service. Van met me in my office parking lot, very positive experience. Talking with tech, the dealership's biggest challenge is staffing it. As of a few minutes ago the CSP has not cleared, but I am not shocked.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
My dealership called me yesterday and said they're launching their mobile service and want to use it to complete my 23B70 as well as the 23B57 that they should have done before letting me buy the truck. Put me on the schedule for next week and ordered the BMS. First good experience I've had with this service department so far.

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
I haven't gotten this BMS recall completed yet, it's the last recall/CSP I'm waiting on with the part being on backorder. I have home assistant and the fordpass integration and was trying to correlate battery voltage with battery percentage as reported by fordpass which lead to this curious discovery. I'm interested to see if this pattern stays consistent when I get the new BMS sensor. Whenever I plug the truck in (FCSP), it seems fairly consistent to maintain the LVB around 12.88V which in turn gives a high % reported. When the truck is just sitting, unplugged, and in this case in cold weather, the battery voltage drops pretty quickly and also reflects a drop in % reported from fordpass. Interestingly, while driving, the voltage goes up around 15V and the percentage yet again goes down. So to me looking at this data, the percentage will actually decrease when deviating from 12.88V in either direction, albeit less detrimental to the reported percentage when over 12.88V. Of course there may be more math being done behind the scene that we can't actually see, but just looking historically over the last month or so, this is a very consistent pattern I'm seeing.

Just to note: I have had no failures to install any OTA that I've received, they've all gone through with no issues (knock on wood). So the particular data I've screenshot I would call a healthy example of a good battery..?
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 10.37.04 AM

Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance, Lightning Lariat Extended
Just had it done via mobile service. Great experience.

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Hello, I stalk the forums and don't usually have anything to post. However I decided to replace this part my self as my dealer is rather new and unsure of EV's and was making me jump through hoops to get the part. I decided to order it and replace it and long story short I ended up with two of the sensors. I ordered from one site and it they told me it was out of stock so I ordered from another site and ended up with both parts. If anyone is interested in doing it themselves in the US I would be willing to send the part their way for free. They cost like $20 and just not worth trying to put it online or even mess with returning it. Send me a PM if you are interested in the part.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I decided to order it and replace it and long story short I ended up with two of the sensors.
I think I am in the same boat, but my second part hasn't arrived yet. Happy to pass it along to anyone who is interested. One wiring connector and two 10mm bolts, and then you have to close the frunk by hand. That's all there is to it.

PM if interested.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Who's affected: Lightnings produced from 14 Oct '21 thru 19 Oct '22 and '23 models produced 10 June '22 thru - -

Why is this happening: "The Battery Monitor Sensor (BMS) may randomly under report the actual 12V battery capacity during an over-the-air (OTA) software update, which means that customers might be unable to complete OTA software updates on their vehicles." Which probably has happened to most of us.

What am I looking for: BMS Sensor with either a part number of NL3T-10C652-AC or NL3T-10C652-AD.

I have the -AC version on my truck:
Lightning_BMS_Sensor.png

Contact your service advisor and reference CSP program number 23B70. They will need to see the truck to verify the part number you have now before ordering the replacement.
I've attached the relevant docs for you to reference and review.
You have until 5 Jan '25 to get this done.
I have an appointment 02/14/2024 for the replacement that is in stock. Are there any additional software updates that should be done in addition to the regular OTA updates that anyone knows about?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Had the sensor replaced this morning by mobile service. Total time under the hood was about 4 minutes. As normal had to close the hood manually and then he checked all of the windows - all operated normally.

I forgot to check my 12v SOC and the part number prior, however the new one is the same part number as others, manufactured in October '23, same SW version 6.10.

The interesting part - I checked the 12v battery on ford.com after the install - it showed 1 %. I decided I should go check the truck. Just as it did during our very cold spell when I opened the door I had no response of any kind. No dings, no graphics on either screen. Pressing the brake and the start button did bring it to life though. I drove it around the block and when I turned it off I got the "System off to save battery" message.

A couple of checks since then and the 12v showed the 1 %, then 22 %, then 48% and now 50%, but it seems to have stopped there, at 50% for about 30 minutes. So it did charge

Curious though, after replacement how does the sensor and the truck truly determine the SOC of the 12v and determine how much to charge?

I'll give it another drive in an hour or so and see if there are further changes.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement IMG_5780
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement IMG_5781

8:53 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 8.53.38 AM

9:45 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 9.45.41 AM

10:17 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 10.17.36 AM

Sponsored

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
Same here TaxmanHog. I did it myself before a 960 miles trip from Arizona to California and back; I didn't want LVB charging issues.
Where did you get the module. Larry Miller in Mesa has had one ordered for my truck for over a month. I'm ready to buy and install myself.

JL13

First Name
José
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Where did you get the module. Larry Miller in Mesa has had one ordered for my truck for over a month. I'm ready to buy and install myself.
Earnhardt Ford from Chandler had checked for me and told me that the Lincoln dealership across from the Larry Miller dealership on Mesa Street drive had one device available at the time; I don't know about now but it's worth to check it out.....

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
My Ford dealer already had the part in stock, surprisingly enough. They installed it this morning in 40 minutes. Attached are the old and new part.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement 20240214_132111

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B70 Certain 2022-23 F-150 Lightnings - BMS Sensor Replacement 20240219_084044

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I called my dealer last Tuesday. He could have already had it in stock, I don't know, but he said he would order the part. Either way - they had it in hand and installed it this morning.

I don't think your dealer is shooting straight with you.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
My Ford dealer already had the part in stock, surprisingly enough. They installed it this morning in 40 minutes. Attached are the old and new part.

20240214_132111.jpg

20240219_084044.jpg
For you Knowledgeable parts people out there. I see the new part in the pictures above show PN: ML3T-10C652-BA but, I have a copy of the TSB and the new part listed there is ML3Z-10C679-B. Are either OK or should I go with the one in the TSB?
Sponsored