Sponsored

Have you noticed... (lesser known features of our trucks)

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
Something that not even the sales people knew about.

The tailgate pull out step has 2 pockets that hinges that allow a bar clamp to be inserted and then clamp your materials down to the the tailgate.

If you look close enough you can see the graphics that show the clamps.

Rick
I find it shocking how little the Ford sales people known about their EVS

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
You dont need to hold it. You just push the 7/8 button like you would your code.
My preteen nephews use the B Pillar keypad all the time. They love it... no fob to lose, makes them independent of me especially when we camp somewhere. Too bad that Ford didn't put the B Pillar keypad on both sides.

OP
OP
Max Power

Max Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
My preteen nephews use the B Pillar keypad all the time. They love it... no fob to lose, makes them independent of me especially when we camp somewhere. Too bad that Ford didn't put the B Pillar keypad on both sides.
I also LOVE this feature. I regularly drive to a trailhead for a run and love that I can lock the truck and not have to hide a key somewhere. Now that I think of it, does anyone know if a smartwatch capable of running FordPass works like PAAK without needing to have your phone on you?

OP
OP
Max Power

Max Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Another feature that had me stumped for a while was the locking rear underseat storage (for those with this option). I could certainly figure out the storage tray, but it took me digging through the owner's manual to find out that the lock is actually a lock of the rear seat bottoms accessed via a keyhole on each side of the rear seats. Said keyholes were, in my case, hidden by the seat belt straps!

Sponsored

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
I just noticed this yesterday. If you stop and leave the truck in drive and then turn off the truck, the gear selector automatically changes to park.
I love this. I had this in my two prior Mercedes SUVs, albeit there wasn't a physical shifter. But I love just turning off the truck and it making sure you are in park!

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Depending on your trim and vehicle manufacturer, sometimes, you can just walk up to your car, start it, and drive away.

When you walk up to the lightning and hop in, the check engine light illuminates sometimes (possibly to remind you that there isn't one).

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I just noticed this yesterday. If you stop and leave the truck in drive and then turn off the truck, the gear selector automatically changes to park.
Same thing happens if you open the door when you are in drive!

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Here's another one I thought of for standard range trucks: figuring out your remaining miles is easy. Great if you want to double check that the guess-o-meter is accurate. Our battery packs have about 98KWh* of energy stored at 100%, so let's just round to 100 KWh to keep the math easy. Now your percentage remaining is effectively your KWh remaining.

Let's say you're traveling down the highway and you get the following info from your dash:

Battery Percentage: 55%
Energy consumption: 1.8 miles per KWh

Confident that's the lowest efficiency you'll see? Just double your battery percentage. Doubling it means you think you'll get 2 miles per KWh. In this example, that's 110 miles remaining. Making it somewhere that far is a stretch.

Aren't that confident and want more of a buffer? Add roughly half of your battery percentage to your remaining battery percentage. So, 55% +27% = 82 miles remaining. Doing this means you think you're getting 1.5 miles per KWh.

Aren't confident at all because you're towing a trailer and you've been going downhill for the last half hour? Just assume your battery percentage is now your remaining miles! 55 miles. Doing it this way means you think you're getting 1 miles per KWh.

...or you can just ask Siri/Alexa/Google in the truck: "Hey {digital assistant} what's 98 times 0.55 times 1.8?" and they'll give you the precise answer. Which in this example is 97.02 (miles).

* For anyone wondering for extended range trucks I think it's 132 KWh of stored energy, but somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
My experience is that there wasn't anything about the truck that the salesman knew anything about. Could be worse, the person at the Chevy booth at the MN state fair this summer said that Chevy doesn't have an EV truck...

Note the I have used the clamp points several times :)
Granted I researched the eff out of this truck before I bought it, during the test drive the sales guy had no idea what 'one-pedal-drive' was. That's not even unique to a Ford EV.

Then again I'm damn near 40 but look like an overweight 19 year old, so they threw the rookie at me.

Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Auto high beams don't turn on until 33 MPH. Not a feature, but something that pissed me off until I figured it out.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Unfortunately no flag on the Lariat.

IMG_3047.jpeg
I have the exact same truck, 2023 Ford lariat ER. I remember seeing that as a feature but I can't remember if I've actually checked my own truck
Sponsored