• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat ER slow charging is wearing me out

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Took another trip from Kansas City to Red Lodge, Montana (I-29 and I-90) and I wasn't at all impressed with the charging speed. Even the brand new EA chargers would start out close to 170kw and then rapidly drop to around 116kw and often below 100kw. Not sure if the Lightning is reducing the charge rate because of the summer heat or if EA is de-rating their chargers because of the heat. There were several charging stops where I needed to charge to 90%. That's where it really get's painful.

I've charged at a Magic Dock in Indiana four times and the same thing happened. Ramped up to 170kw briefly and then quickly dropped to below 120kw. I cannot continue to live with 1 hour charge stops.

My wife has another year on her Ioniq 5 lease and thinking about getting her into an EV9 so we can use it for our trips to our Montana place. I think I will keep the Lightning as I love it and it powers our house daily. It's resale value is pathetic so I can see keeping it for ten years or longer. It saves us about $1,500 a year off our electric bills so I have that justification.

From what I have seen the EV9 charges super fast, even above 80%. Any other full size SUV EVs we should be looking at that charge as fast as the KIA?
Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
One of the things I'm so looking forward to on this truck is the lightning fast charging when compared to my old Tesla. My tesla peaked at about 70 kW but only below 20% battery, by 50% it was below 50 kW.
It may not compare to the faster charging vehicles that are common today, but it's so much better than where most vehicles were just a couple years ago.
The key is making sure that your charging stops line up with other things. I find meals are the perfect time to charge. Also try to avoid charging over 80% because that's where a drastically drops off in speed. Try to arrive at your next charger between 10 and 20% and only charge as high as you need to get to the next one. You're often better stopping more often than trying to charge to a higher percent.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One of the things I'm so looking forward to on this truck is the lightning fast charging when compared to my old Tesla. My tesla peaked at about 70 kW but only below 20% battery, by 50% it was below 50 kW.
It may not compare to the faster charging vehicles that are common today, but it's so much better than where most vehicles were just a couple years ago.
The key is making sure that your charging stops line up with other things. I find meals are the perfect time to charge. Also try to avoid charging over 80% because that's where a drastically drops off in speed. Try to arrive at your next charger between 10 and 20% and only charge as high as you need to get to the next one. You're often better stopping more often than trying to charge to a higher percent.
Well I'm driving across South Dakota and Wyoming so there aren't a whole lot of different options for charging. For example Sheridan, WY is a required charge stop for me. Only one plug in the entire town that I can use. Yesterday it took me almost two hours to get to 73%. It's a Chargepoint that maxed out at 44kw. I've seen 63kw from it in the past. One of these days I'm going to get there and there will be several EVs ahead of me. That will mean I'll have to stay the night most likely.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
It's interesting how going EV highlights how incredibly inefficient it is to drive a brick shaped object at highway speeds. Now that it costs time as well as just money, we really notice the inefficiency.

If you were driving a more aerodynamic vehicle, that 100 kW would probably be fine. Stops would only be 2/3 as long for the same distance driven.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It's interesting how going EV highlights how incredibly inefficient it is to drive a brick shaped object at highway speeds. Now that it costs time as well as just money, we really notice the inefficiency.

If you were driving a more aerodynamic vehicle, that 100 kW would probably be fine. Stops would only be 2/3 as long for the same distance driven.
Exactly. I have both a Lightning and a Mach-E. The distance between charging stops is about the same, but the charging time is almost 50% longer if I take the Lightning. Ballpark numbers. But the Lightning is a much more comfortable ride on long trips. Tradeoffs!

Sponsored

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
Exactly. I have both a Lightning and a Mach-E. The distance between charging stops is about the same, but the charging time is almost 50% longer if I take the Lightning. Ballpark numbers. But the Lightning is a much more comfortable ride on long trips. Tradeoffs!
The vehicle with nearly 2x the battery size takes 2x as long?

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I would do some route planning with ABRP to help guide your choice of your next EV. Right now smaller, more efficient cars are maxing out the output of DC fast charging stations (just like larger vehicles), so best way to get shorter charging sessions is to select a more efficient EV that needs to charge less kWh at each stop to go the same distance.

To illustrate this effect, here are some one way cumulative charging times (hh:mm) for your 16 hour drive from Kansas to Montana:

F-150L ER: 4:38
Rivian R1S Max Pack: 4:21
Ford Mach E ER: 3:30
Kia EV9: 3:14
Hyundai Ioniq 5: 2:49
Tesla MX: 2:43
Tesla MY: 2:24
Tesla M3: 2:05
Hyundai Ioniq 6: 1:43

The natural time progression goes from large trucks/SUVs, to crossovers, to ultra efficient and aerodynamic sedans. The Kia EV9 would definitely be a faster choice, and my pick if I needed a 3 row SUV, but it still does not top the charts in terms of EV road tripping performance.

If a small car or a Tesla is undesirable then I would hold out on buying something until the 800V architecture and 300kw charging is more common, since that is what will be necessary to see larger and less efficient trucks and SUVs compete with smaller cars on recharging speed.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my wife's new EV9 charges at speeds of up to 250 or so at stations that can handle that, yes, so it 'fills' it's smaller battery quicker, of course, but, also, the VEHICLE many times is the deciding factor in the reduction of speed when it comes to 80% or higher, or especially 90% or higher... they will ALL be extremely slow, and careful, during those times...

your LIGHTNING is not designed as a 'speedy' charging vehicle, and the ER battery is going to take even longer - but, don't bristle at 150, or even 100, as those speeds are still not 'bad' for DC Fast Charging, depending on WHERE your battery is in the SOC timeframe... I remember the days when Chargepoint and 50kw were the 'most' you'd see for ANY vehicle.

As to whether temps, and whether STATIONS, pare back on charging speeds: the unclear answer is always YES. You're never going to have CONSTANT 160-170kw speeds the WHOLE charge curve - it's just not reasonable. I've seen these peaks, too, and while exciting for the moment, yes, the start falling 'off' from that high speed fairly quickly. EA and Superchargers may be designed to 'slow' as the ambient heat rises, unfortunately, for their OWN benefits, regardless of what vehicle is charging.

It is what it is.

I'm sitting at a Supercharger right at this moment:
arrived at 15%...
...yes, ramped up charging at 150kw, for a few minutes...
....now, though, at less than 100kw, at only 39%...
...the outside temp is 82degrees, at 5am... in Florida
...no one else is here but me... with 12 stations

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
the vast majority of the charging curve was at 86~kw...
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER slow charging is wearing me out IMG_8690.PNG

and that was cut in 1/2 when I hit 80%...

but... 65kwh in 40 minutes... @ .47 per kwh
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER slow charging is wearing me out IMG_8691.PNG

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The vehicle with nearly 2x the battery size takes 2x as long?
131 vs 91 is closer to 1.5 times the size. Again…”ballpark numbers.”

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The main issue here in your charging time, as you know, is going from 80 to 90%, where you are getting around 44kW as I recall. Takes 20 min for that.

Try wrapping the charging handle in a wet towel in the heat.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Took another trip from Kansas City to Red Lodge, Montana (I-29 and I-90) and I wasn't at all impressed with the charging speed. Even the brand new EA chargers would start out close to 170kw and then rapidly drop to around 116kw and often below 100kw. Not sure if the Lightning is reducing the charge rate because of the summer heat or if EA is de-rating their chargers because of the heat. There were several charging stops where I needed to charge to 90%. That's where it really get's painful.

I've charged at a Magic Dock in Indiana four times and the same thing happened. Ramped up to 170kw briefly and then quickly dropped to below 120kw. I cannot continue to live with 1 hour charge stops.

My wife has another year on her Ioniq 5 lease and thinking about getting her into an EV9 so we can use it for our trips to our Montana place. I think I will keep the Lightning as I love it and it powers our house daily. It's resale value is pathetic so I can see keeping it for ten years or longer. It saves us about $1,500 a year off our electric bills so I have that justification.

From what I have seen the EV9 charges super fast, even above 80%. Any other full size SUV EVs we should be looking at that charge as fast as the KIA?
There’s a couple of us on here with EV9s

If you’re looking for a 3 row SUV there’s only a couple. The Mercedes will charge fast but won’t hold people in the 3rd row comfortably. The R1S will charge just as fast….on paper. The Model X is the only other one that gives the Kia a run for its money.

Do not anticipate charging an EV9 above 80%, it drops off the same way the Lightning does.

*Speaking a former owner of a R1T, Model X, and currently an Kia EV9

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Unless you are about to hit a charging desert, I try to avoid DC fast charging past 80% due to the significantly lower charge rate beyond that. Best to drive away and hit another stop for a quick top up, if possible. But up to 80% the charging curve of the Lightening is typically pretty good. (Although one day it would be great to have the ultra fast charging architecture)

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Try fast charging in a Nissan Leaf using chademo... Around 30kw. 😂

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I have two sons with Chevy BOLTS - with a CCS max speed of 50kw, and usually not even that...
but with 250+ miles of range, they stop very infrequently...

I formerly owned two different '14 Nissan LEAF originals.. - with a CHadeMO max speed of 50kw, and usually not near that... try 'road tripping' with one of these - it CAN be done, and it WILL teach you a LOT about EV ownership, and patience.

Having a 'truck' that is not only VERY USEFUL, and VERY PRACTICAL, and VERY Smooth, and fast, with a 250mile range, gives me absolutely NO pause in going ANYWHERE at ANYTIME.

Our EV9 is the same: VERY Roomy, and actually DOES Comfortably seat SEVEN, and is very smooth and nice. With 250mile range, we go anywhere at anytime.
Sponsored