Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
So when you say you leave a maintainer on your LVB you plug in an extension cord to this Noco maintainer every time you park your vehicle at home? Just shut the frunk on the cord, trying to follow what you're doing. Thanks
No extension cord needed as I have an outlet right in front of the truck. Our Lightning is mainly a road trip vehicle so it spends a lot of time in the garage on the Noco. It hasn't left the garage for over a month which is a good thing since the roads are coated with salt right now.
Sponsored

loveurdj

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Manager
My 6.8.0 update installed easily last night. I keep a 1 amp Noco maintainer on the LVB most of the time. My LVB was showing 100% in the Ford account info. I did a manual install, turned off the truck and locked the doors. I moved the key FOB to our bedroom after reading that might make a difference. Truck was plugged in but not charging (I do scheduled charging on my charger)

I have a theory on why so many of you are having problems with failed updates. The Lightning (and probably most EVs) don't do a good job of keeping the LVB fully charged. Once a lead acid battery (an AGM battery is a form of lead acid) sits at a partial SOC for a while the battery loses capacity. That's why you see ICE cars that are mostly grocery getters needing a new battery every 2 - 3 years. So once the Lightning LVB loses capacity it becomes much harder for it to meet the OTA criteria it requires. The 6.8.0 is one of those larger updates that requires the truck to be off.

Now this is just a theory and I have nothing to back it up other than I keep a tender on my truck most of the time.
No extension cord needed as I have an outlet right in front of the truck. Our Lightning is mainly a road trip vehicle so it spends a lot of time in the garage on the Noco. It hasn't left the garage for over a month which is a good thing since the roads are coated with salt right now.
So you leave this battery tender on and plugged into the onboard power all the time even when you're driving the truck? I have yet to get an OTA update and just had the BMS replaced but still have not gotten one. I didn't want to have to do this but I will do anything at this point to get this truck to update.

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
I wish there was better clarification on how the updates actually work and at what stage people have trouble.

Here's my current understanding just from reading experiences on this forum, other forums, fb groups, etc. Take the info with a grain of salt because this is just my interpretation after following along with everyone else.
  • Ford needs to send the OTA trigger to your truck to let initiate downloading the update package. I think a lot of confusion and assumption lies in this step.
    • The order in which Ford sends out the OTA initiating seems to go in order of VIN from oldest to newest. Early Access and 2022's receive first, those initial updates get tested in the wild and adjusted if needed before sending, in buckets from oldest to newest, to the rest of the trucks.
    • What signal is required to receive the OTA trigger to begin downloading the update? I believe it may only be cellular connectivity due to the fact I've never initiated an OTA update in my garage with poor cell reception/no satellite connection. I have an access point in my garage right next to the truck giving strong Wi-Fi and very fast speeds (150mbps+)
    • How often will the OTA trigger get pushed to your vehicle if you've "missed" it be not having, presumably, good cellular signal? I'm not sure if this is persistent or not. I never got the Frunk Chimes update that included the SOC% in the normal cluster view, but it seems a lot of 2023's did not get that either and possibly the update was pulled from distribution.
  • Your truck now needs to download the OTA over cellular or Wi-Fi
    • I don't believe many issues happen in this stage unless you are in the middle of nowhere with no cellular data or Wi-Fi
  • Installing the downloaded update (this is where a lot of the reported issues are coming from)
    • Low LVB causes an install to fail
      • There is a CSP to replace the LVB sensor that (could be) erroneously reporting the voltage causing the update to fail midway through installation
So yeah, I'm open to any corrections or clarifications to how I'm seeing this process play out. I think there are a lot of variables and stages at which people are having issues and what works for one person may not be the same issue for another. Saying your battery is too low, or your sensor is bad, shouldn't matter on at least receiving the OTA trigger to download and at least attempt installing the update.

I think if Ford is depending on cellular communication with the truck to receive the OTA trigger, that's going to mess with a lot of people who park in garages majority of the day or live in remote locations with no cell data. It seems I've only received updates when I'm out and about or parked outside my house with no obstructions.

Additional info for me personally: Blend date November 2022, I picked up the truck off the dealer lot in April 2023 and had my first updates that month, receiving 12 updates total over 9 months. I received 6.4.0 mid-December and the DOR-UP2 last week, still haven't gotten 6.5.0, 6.8.0, or 6.13.0 as of writing this. I haven't had any updates fail once they are downloaded and begin installing. I have the BMS that qualifies for replacement, but my dealer didn't have it in stock so I'm waiting on that CSP.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I wish there was better clarification on how the updates actually work and at what stage people have trouble.

Here's my current understanding just from reading experiences on this forum, other forums, fb groups, etc. Take the info with a grain of salt because this is just my interpretation after following along with everyone else.
  • Ford needs to send the OTA trigger to your truck to let initiate downloading the update package. I think a lot of confusion and assumption lies in this step.
    • The order in which Ford sends out the OTA initiating seems to go in order of VIN from oldest to newest. Early Access and 2022's receive first, those initial updates get tested in the wild and adjusted if needed before sending, in buckets from oldest to newest, to the rest of the trucks.
    • What signal is required to receive the OTA trigger to begin downloading the update? I believe it may only be cellular connectivity due to the fact I've never initiated an OTA update in my garage with poor cell reception/no satellite connection. I have an access point in my garage right next to the truck giving strong Wi-Fi and very fast speeds (150mbps+)
    • How often will the OTA trigger get pushed to your vehicle if you've "missed" it be not having, presumably, good cellular signal? I'm not sure if this is persistent or not. I never got the Frunk Chimes update that included the SOC% in the normal cluster view, but it seems a lot of 2023's did not get that either and possibly the update was pulled from distribution.
    • I don't believe many issues happen in this stage unless you are in the middle of nowhere with no cellular data or Wi-Fi
  • Installing the downloaded update (this is where a lot of the reported issues are coming from)
      • There is a CSP to replace the LVB sensor that (could be) erroneously reporting the voltage causing the update to fail midway through installation
So yeah, I'm open to any corrections or clarifications to how I'm seeing this process play out. I think there are a lot of variables and stages at which people are having issues and what works for one person may not be the same issue for another. Saying your battery is too low, or your sensor is bad, shouldn't matter on at least receiving the OTA trigger to download and at least attempt installing the update.

I think if Ford is depending on cellular communication with the truck to receive the OTA trigger, that's going to mess with a lot of people who park in garages majority of the day or live in remote locations with no cell data. It seems I've only received updates when I'm out and about or parked outside my house with no obstructions.

Additional info for me personally: Blend date November 2022, I picked up the truck off the dealer lot in April 2023 and had my first updates that month, receiving 12 updates total over 9 months. I received 6.4.0 mid-December and the DOR-UP2 last week, still haven't gotten 6.5.0, 6.8.0, or 6.13.0 as of writing this. I haven't had any updates fail once they are downloaded and begin installing. I have the BMS that qualifies for replacement, but my dealer didn't have it in stock so I'm waiting on that CSP.
There are a few posts about some of this information, I don't know that they are consolidated in a single place. @rugedraw and @Mike G have shared a lot of how this works and are the resident experts. I believe it has been proven that downloads will happen over wifi, but the key is the "starting" of the truck to check in with the mothership. It just so happens that after you start, you typically drive away from the house, hence once the truck checks in and gets a download, the truck is then on cellular.

Tesla handles this differently - their releases rely 99% on wifi and download once you connect to wifi. This is well documented and easy to see with a service like Teslafi which has full access to the API and car communications from the Tesla mothership. It is then up to the owner to trigger the install. Ford - for a non-inhibit release downloads and installs whenever they want, once you've started the truck and you have any kind of signal.

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are a few posts about some of this information, I don't know that they are consolidated in a single place. @rugedraw and @Mike G have shared a lot of how this works and are the resident experts.
I didn't mean to leave out credit for where I've gleaned the info I summarized. I am very appreciative of the huge contributions from you and the others who have a better understanding than most on the inner workings. I do think there should be a consolidated, possibly stickied, thread on this topic authored by the resident experts who have that background knowledge. OTA's are always questioned and then everyone shares their experience and what worked for them which may or may not align with the current issue at hand, which like I mentioned has so many variables.

Anyway, thank you to the resident experts, I don't want to start tagging you guys in fear that I leave someone out, but you know who you are and you're all awesome!

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I didn't mean to leave out credit for where I've gleaned the info I summarized. I am very appreciative of the huge contributions from you and the others who have a better understanding than most on the inner workings. I do think there should be a consolidated, possibly stickied, thread on this topic authored by the resident experts who have that background knowledge. OTA's are always questioned and then everyone shares their experience and what worked for them which may or may not align with the current issue at hand, which like I mentioned has so many variables.

Anyway, thank you to the resident experts, I don't want to start tagging you guys in fear that I leave someone out, but you know who you are and you're all awesome!
I did a write-up of what happens when you get an OTA here:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...p-by-step-breakdown-of-the-ota-process.20875/

This is based solely on my research. Nothing there is official from Ford, as they treat the OTA process as if it was Area 51.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I’m not a fan of the cruise control speed down cramped into that one little space now. Hope Blue Cruise 1.3 makes it worth all thes interminable updates that aren’t really updates!

Give me a snow mode and mud and rock modes separately. And a car wash mode that folds in mirrors and raises windows, closes roof window. Now those would be real updates! And a YouTube mode, where it automatically shuts off headlights and kills the 30 minute time-off setting. Or call that charging mode. And a camping mode, that automatically kills headlights and dings and honks. And an Economy mode that slows acceleration more, and applies more regen, and turns the heater off when trying to squeeze out the miles to next charger.

THEN they can call these real updates, not just bug fixes. That and turn on and offf the damn inside lights when I open the doors!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
That and turn on and offf the damn inside lights when I open the doors!
There is a button in the overhead area that enables/disables entry lighting. I have accidentally turned off entry lighting trying to open the moonroof cover.

Wearing bifocals it’s hard for me to see the icons for what each button does!

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1706798262292

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1706798322023

Last edited:

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just received 6.8.0 tonight.

Minor glitch after a successful install, my navigation was trying to route me home while I was parked in my driveway. Went for a short drive and the nav still wasn’t updating and not allowing me to cancel the directions. Tried cycling power a few times, same issue. Had to reset the infotainment/sync which fixed the issue.

Puffoluffagus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
6.8 pushed today for me. Installed with no issues. Finally have the SoC on the Guage. My blend Date was in Jan 23.

Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

My blend date was 12/9/22 and picked up my truck mid January of 2023 I didn't get my first update until I want to say October of 23'. After receiving the numerous CSPs I finally went to the dealer to have them do the charge port update, check/replace the LVB sensor (on backorder) they checked the tailgate step which it passed their inspection I guess lol and when was there I requested them to do the Power-Up updates which they wouldn't do they said they couldn't actually do them. This work was done last week on the 23rd

That being said over the past week and a half I've gotten three updates one for the steering position sensor I believe then 6.5 and finally got 6.8 yesterday who knows if any of this is tied to the service or maybe when they did the update for the charge port it triggered something I have no idea but it's definitely been a frustrating thing waiting for this.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
My blend date was 12/9/22 and picked up my truck mid January of 2023 I didn't get my first update until I want to say October of 23'. After receiving the numerous CSPs I finally went to the dealer to have them do the charge port update, check/replace the LVB sensor (on backorder) they checked the tailgate step which it passed their inspection I guess lol and when was there I requested them to do the Power-Up updates which they wouldn't do they said they couldn't actually do them. This work was done last week on the 23rd

That being said over the past week and a half I've gotten three updates one for the steering position sensor I believe then 6.5 and finally got 6.8 yesterday who knows if any of this is tied to the service or maybe when they did the update for the charge port it triggered something I have no idea but it's definitely been a frustrating thing waiting for this.
Sorry for the blank reply.
I received the 6.8 OTA update sometime this morning. Usually I get a notification via Ford Pass, not this time.
Pleasantly surprised, I like the SOC % on the gauge and the speed limit sign closer to the center is easy to see.
I got the 6.5 about 10 days ago.
2022 Lariat ER. 25k miles
Aftermarket LVB Ohmmu H3 is flawless
BMS replacement scheduled for 2/16

RiqRod

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting Lariat extended battery
Occupation
Administration
Power Up 6.8.0 incoming- no clue what it does.

IMG_4574.jpeg
I got my 23 Lariet in December and I have not had one OTA update, am I the only one since it was late in the year?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I got my 23 Lariet in December and I have not had one OTA update, am I the only one since it was late in the year?
Nope, your in fine company with thousands of others, it appears all the trucks not up to 6.8.0 will be the focus over the next few days & weeks while 6.13.0 get's sorted out ......
Sponsored