• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seriously… why did they make that frunk beep?

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Fun fact..ok maybe not that fun. But the term “trunk” on vehicles came about because folks used to literally strap trunks to the back of carriages and cars.

Those rectangular things with the lid that were like a chest were strapped to the back. Soon, auto makers started incorporating them as built in storage space, retaining the term “trunk” despite no longer being one. But that terminology based on its history is not required to being in the rear nor to only being one. Thus fully supporting your rant and annoyance.

However, since the delineation of the storage trunk with the vehicle trunk, a trunk has been traditionally placed at the rear. Front placement is not traditional and this the clarification is handy to help anyone who may be searching for a trunk in the bed. By labeling it as a Front Trunk or “Frunk” in short, Ford is merely being considerate in assisting its customers in the easy identification of the storage compartment. This substantiating the terminology.

*Disclaimer, any “facts” posted is the result of 5 seconds of google search and is not verified. I know nothing about trunks, frunks, or sunks and may even be a little drunk…
I'm sure you didn't mean this with your wording but Ford didn't start it. It's a term that was coined by mid/rear-engine exotic cars for decades even before Tesla popularized it which is why most people commonly think of a Tesla whenever they hear the term "frunk" these days. Nobody owns it though and it's pretty common nomenclature in the EV segment lexicon. It only makes sense that Ford calls it what everyone knows it as rather than trying to reinvent some silly name that most aren't sure of like fronk for instance. ;)

I had to flex my Nebraska public school education a little bit there in response to @Pioneer74 post to keep up with the standard that has been set. :LOL:
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I'm sure you didn't mean this with your wording but Ford didn't start it. It's a term that was coined by mid/rear-engine exotic cars for decades even before Tesla popularized it which is why most people commonly think of a Tesla whenever they hear the term "frunk" these days. Nobody owns it though and it's pretty common nomenclature in the EV segment lexicon. It only makes sense that Ford calls it what everyone knows it as rather than trying to reinvent some silly name that most aren't sure of like fronk for instance. ;)

I had to flex my Nebraska public school education a little bit there in response to @Pioneer74 post to keep up with the standard that has been set. :LOL:
I blame the drunk part. Was just flreferencing Ford calling ours a Mega Power Frunk, not meaning to say they started it, especially since I’ve owned cars with drunks for over a decade already.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Ford F-150 Lightning Seriously… why did they make that frunk beep? 1667665095690

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yep, after 6,000 miles, I see no reason for any 'beeping' when opening the frunk, other than the engineers 'must' have thought that since it's in FRONT of the driver, the driver should have fair warning that the frunk might be opening, and then in their line-of-sight... but, that's a far-reaching assumption, or guess. Closing? yes, sure, give me a light warning to 'move away' from the area, and keep my hands and fingers and small children away - but, otherwise, no.

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
Fun fact..ok maybe not that fun. But the term “trunk” on vehicles came about because folks used to literally strap trunks to the back of carriages and cars.
Interesting. I had no idea but that makes sense. So yeah, it's a TRUNK Ford! :)

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Maybe we need to start a bounty for the first person that can locate the frunk speaker...

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
True story—I washed my truck for the first time last week and for the next 4 or 5 times I opened the Fronk (OP’s term for a Mega Annoying Beeping Frunk?) it did not beep. It was amazing and magical. I picked up my daughter from practice and as she approached the vehicle lugging copious amounts of overpriced sports equipment, up went the hood in glorious silence. She inserted said gear and climbed aboard as the hood closed with a click-clunk, but no beeping. Much to my relief no one was injured by this stealth maneuver and for once no one stopped by to see what kind of engine trouble we were having. But alas, almost like a good dream that starts to go bad for no apparent reason, the silent frunk occasionally returned to beeping. I struggled mentally every time I touched the frunk button, straining to will it to silence. Sometimes I was rewarded with this, but more and more the frunk became a fronk until it completely reverted to its OEM state. Maybe I’ll get the hose out and have a go at recreating my wet dream.

Sponsored

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
In addition to the unnecessarily loud beeping, the long lid opening delay doesn't help with the experience either.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Gronk's Lightning's front trunk?

A related rant, I am OK with the "frunk" term if a car has both a rear trunk and a front trunk, but it's the only trunk on the Lightning so why not just call it the trunk?
Ford literally calls it the Mega Power Frunk 😁

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Maybe we need to start a bounty for the first person that can locate the frunk speaker...
This - we should start go fund me or go find me. lol. The sound brings in soooo much surronding attention at camp grounds.. takes forever to get setup with all the folks coming by asking questions (not that I mind but still).