Sponsored

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
I would assume that the additional RADAR device installation is required, otherwise why would Ford not just include the LaneCentering as an automatic part of the driving automation, like LaneKeeping... This makes me suspect that the radar has the needed technology to hold the center of the lane, or to adjust constantly to maintain the center, versus the standard video sensors that may provide for more simple 'lane keeping'(ping-ponging between stripes).
Yeah I agree that it would be odd of Ford to not include lane centering if the hardware and modules are already in place. I don't know much about self-driving tech, but aren't cameras the only way cars have to detect painted lines on the road? I don't think this can be done with radar or USS.
Sponsored

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think the issue is lane centering w/out being able to sense vehicles in front of you with redundancy. This may be partially a NHTSA thing. The single camera looking fwd isn't as reliable at sensing objects in front of you as a radar. Think of the Tesla FSD issue (which has killed many) of running under a semi trailer crossing in front of you blending in visually with the sky above. Even though there is a gap below that stands to confuse a radar too, the radar can still tell something is there and brake/alert.

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
I think the issue is lane centering w/out being able to sense vehicles in front of you with redundancy. This may be partially a NHTSA thing. The single camera looking fwd isn't as reliable at sensing objects in front of you as a radar. Think of the Tesla FSD issue (which has killed many) of running under a semi trailer crossing in front of you blending in visually with the sky above. Even though there is a gap below that stands to confuse a radar too, the radar can still tell something is there and brake/alert.
Radar is used to detect and maintain distance from an object/vehicle in front of the truck. It does not have the capability to detect lanes. It works on the principle of the radio waves bouncing back from the object, obviously the lane lines won't do that. It also usually has to comply with ASIL D requirements (Highest levels of safety + availability).
Cameras are used for lane centering. 1 windshield camera should be enough for this purpose. They do not have to comply with requirements over ASIL B normally. That is the reason you are always advised to have your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

Now add the 2 above and you have lane centering+ACC. So you need both. ASIL requirements are a major reason why ACC is more reliable than lane centering.

BTW, I work in the autonomous vehicle development field and have worked extensively with LiDARs, Radars, cameras and GPS modules.

grantmethepower

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Hi all! I had planned this for my second big project but I'm now 99.9% sure I do not have the required wires in my 2023 Pro and I'm beginning to wonder if it's too challenging. The FORScan stuff ive now gotten pretty comfortable with. The wire harness and the rest, no prob. But those damn wires.

Here are the pics from my driver side access and under the glove box. Can anyone just glance and verify I'm looking at the correct missing wires?

Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT IMG_1837.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT IMG_1841.JPG

Is there an "easiest" way to do this? I saw @hturnerfamily PDF and it was terrific-but obviously he did not need to run the wires.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Here are the pics from my driver side access and under the glove box. Can anyone just glance and verify I'm looking at the correct missing wires?
Unfortunately, you don't have the wires. In either location.

I'm not even sure anyone's done it missing the Wires on the Drivers side.

But, I didn't follow the no-wires people enough as If I didn't have wires, I wouldn't do it :)

Sponsored

grantmethepower

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Unfortunately, you don't have the wires. In either location.

I'm not even sure anyone's done it missing the Wires on the Drivers side.

But, I didn't follow the no-wires people enough as If I didn't have wires, I wouldn't do it :)
Thats what I was worried about. Darn. I really screwed up on my order. I totally missed that the tow tech package had the 360 camera. I would have gotten it just for that even though I do not tow (which is why I ignored it). Then I could have had this. Poop.

Thanks so much for taking a look and replying!

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Thats what I was worried about. Darn. I really screwed up on my order. I totally missed that the tow tech package had the 360 camera. I would have gotten it just for that even though I do not tow (which is why I ignored it). Then I could have had this. Poop.

Yeah without the 360 cameras it's not possible from my understanding.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro

From what I've heard the wires aren't that bad to run, it's just annoying to add them to the plug under the glove box. I'd still say it's worth doing the mod.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
On the Pro bumpers there are only 4 radar sensors in the front, and not on the sides. Is there a way to add the additional sensors to the bumper, or is there really no need for it?

grantmethepower

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
From what I've heard the wires aren't that bad to run, it's just annoying to add them to the plug under the glove box. I'd still say it's worth doing the mod.
Is it still possible if I do not have the wires in either location? I did not see them through the driver side panel OR the dashboard location. Someone just said that without the wires in either location it isn't possible.

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Is it still possible if I do not have the wires in either location? I did not see them through the driver side panel OR the dashboard location. Someone just said that without the wires in either location it isn't possible.
I haven't seen that any of the lightnings were missing the ipma wires, are you sure you looked at the correct plug?

grantmethepower

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I haven't seen that any of the lightnings were missing the ipma wires, are you sure you looked at the correct plug?
Ha! No, no I'm not sure. This is what I saw that looked like the other images but seemed to be missing the wires. This is through the little view in the access panel so it's certainly possible I was looking at the wrong one.

Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT IMG_1837.JPG

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Ha! No, no I'm not sure. This is what I saw that looked like the other images but seemed to be missing the wires. This is through the little view in the access panel so it's certainly possible I was looking at the wrong one.

IMG_1837.JPG
I'm pretty sure that's the plug underneath the one you need to look at. I think the ipma one is grey

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This is the one you are looking for at the IMPA

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner

IMG_1837.JPG
you do not have them, and you can compare your 23 PRO with my 22 PRO with Tow Tech...
Ford F-150 Lightning DIY: Installing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and LKA (Lane Keep Alert) to 2022 F-150 Lightning XLT Confirmed driver side HARNESS pre-wired
Sponsored