Sponsored

USA414

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Platinum, 2012 Boss 302
Well, this is a really tough first post here, but it seems I may be in a situation where my IPMA might be bricked and am now in need of a service appointment.

Short story on this one is, I was in the process of updating modules back on 9/27 via FDRS and the application crashed on the laptop I was using towards the end of the update, and was therefor never able to push/check final configurations, or collect any data from the module/update and report back. Since that point, my power steering has been finicky, truck has been acting strange (chimes/noises), and after today's round of troubleshooting, I now have a front camera fault, service required message.

Slightly longer version is I performed several other updates without issue before attempting to update the IPMA with two Clore PL2320's, and had no issues with voltage drop until almost half way through the IPMA update where at points it hit the low to mid 9 voltage range. Not sure if this is what made FDRS crash, or simply coincidental.

Fast forward to today, I purchased a more substantial power supply (75 amps) for programming, got a newer/more capable laptop for FDRS, and attempted to perform a PMI on the IPMA which just resulted in a bunch of errors, and now a front camera fault, service required message.

VIN is 1FT6W1EV3NWG02334 for anyone with FDRS who can see the vehicle history/logs.

I've tried just about IPMA related configuration option in FDRS, resetting the the truck by disconnecting 12v power for 30 mins, rebooted the IPMA module in FORScan three times, scanned and reset codes multiple times in FDRS, but still cannot perform a PMI on the IPMA.

Anytime I do, I receive an initial message stating, "The module configuration has failed, Would you like to retry?" followed by "Procedure Unsuccessful - WriteDirectConfig, Exception writing configuration to module" leaving me completely stumped and feeling like I am out of options other than it needing to be seen by the dealer.

Thanks in advance!
Thankfully I was able to get these issues sorted, so I wanted to take a moment and thank @rugedraw @ChrisCon and @Gimme_my_MME for their support.

In addition, there were some important lessons learned on my end which I thought I'd share here:
  • Having a capable power supply is essential for larger updates (2x Clore PL2320's won't cut it for larger, more power intensive updates)
  • Either something in FDRS or the module update process has changed since I first started down this road in the middle of 2023 with my original FDRS laptop, where you should make sure you have a capable FDRS laptop as defined by Ford.
  • Set aside enough time to complete these updates. Over the past week or so, I've created a OneNote notebook for myself which has a preprogramming checklist in terms of installing FDRS laptop preparation, power supply prep and voltage calibration, and in vehicle setup before I start. I've also taken notes on which modules require a flash drive, which take longer to install, those that are more power intensive (which strain the 12v system), and lastly tried to canvas this forum as well as the Mach E forum to ensure specific updates are done in a particular order.
It's hard to say that any of what I mentioned above would have prevented FDRS from initially crashing and the IPMA update from going through, but I certainly feel much more confident now about performing future updates after this crash course!
Sponsored

USA414

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also noticed something in FDRS when looking through the vehicle history. If you hover over the "Resource ID" column over the GXXXXXXX string, it will show you a version number. It only seems to do this for more recent updates, but I thought this was interesting in being able to identify the module and version details.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else on the thread, so sorry if someone else already spotted this and called it out.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1728585833786-m

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I also noticed something in FDRS when looking through the vehicle history. If you hover over the "Resource ID" column over the GXXXXXXX string, it will show you a version number. It only seems to do this for more recent updates, but I thought this was interesting in being able to identify the module and version details.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else on the thread, so sorry if someone else already spotted this and called it out.
1728585833786-mg.jpg
It does the same thing if you hover your pointer over the update in the list of available software. But that ‘version’ number isn’t really that useful as a reference.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Dumb Newbie Question: I asked ChatGPT about the order in which modules should be updated in FDRS. It mentioned the guidance features of FDRS. But the advice I liked best was the last tip it gave me:
  1. Update All Modules Prompt:
    • FDRS often has a feature that allows you to update all modules with available updates. If you select this option, FDRS will automatically update them in the proper order.
    • This is the easiest and most reliable way to ensure everything is done correctly without worrying about individual sequences.
Wanted to ask you FDRS experts if this is pretty good advice or an AI hallucination. Also, the first subitem says, "FDRS often has a feature that allows you to update all modules..." Does there have to be a number of modules with different dependencies, or does Ford have to prime a module update for this feature to show up? At $50 for a two-day session, I haven't been motivated to try FDRS more than once, but the UPDATE ALL MODULES prompt sounds about my speed, something that would ease my concerns about screwing up! :)

USA414

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dumb Newbie Question: I asked ChatGPT about the order in which modules should be updated in FDRS. It mentioned the guidance features of FDRS. But the advice I liked best was the last tip it gave me:
    • FDRS often has a feature that allows you to update all modules with available updates. If you select this option, FDRS will automatically update them in the proper order.
    • This is the easiest and most reliable way to ensure everything is done correctly without worrying about individual sequences.
Wanted to ask you FDRS experts if this is pretty good advice or an AI hallucination. Also, the first subitem says, "FDRS often has a feature that allows you to update all modules..." Does there have to be a number of modules with different dependencies, or does Ford have to prime a module update for this feature to show up? At $50 for a two-day session, I haven't been motivated to try FDRS more than once, but the UPDATE ALL MODULES prompt sounds about my speed, something that would ease my concerns about screwing up! :)
While I'm not an expert, and will defer to those here with more experience, I'm happy to share my thoughts/notes as I understand the process.

I do not believe there is a "scripted" way to kick off an "update all modules" process in FDRS. I know there is a "download all option" in the Toolbox tab/ribbon which requests FDRS downloads all available packages from Ford's servers to the laptop so there are locally cached copies. However, even if you do this, I believe you will still need to execute the updates in an order which may not be the same as how they're listed on the right hand side of the SW Updates screen.

Also, updates like PCM usually kick off a group or multi-module update and will have a specific sequence predefined by Ford. I think FDRS is smart enough to kick off the PCM parent module first even if you clicked on ABS module, so the updates are still applied in the correct order.

Here's an excerpt from the notes which I created for myself based upon lots of reading and research across the forums, and a bit of personal experience. I guess what I'm saying is YMMV and I'm simply offering up my opinion based on my experiences over the past year or so. There are lots of other folks on here with more experience who might have different thoughts, or even disagree.

FDRS Update Process (High Level)
  • All 3 modules below must be updated first, in order, GWM/APIM with flash drive (sometimes TCU is USB) in the order shown below as per Ford:
    • GWM (first) - USB, longer update (~30 mins)
    • APIM (second) - USB, very long update (~2 hours)
    • TCU (third) - usually USB, longer update (~20 mins)
  • Then check/update the rest as follows:
    • IPC - USB, longer update (~30 mins)
    • IPMA (group) - very long update (2+ hours)
      • PSCM (~5 mins)
      • CCM
      • CMR
    • PCM (group) ~20 mins for the whole group
      • ABS
      • SOBDMB
      • SOBDMC
      • SOBDM
      • BECM
      • GFM2
    • Whatever else remains, but just like the updates listed above, you should research/validate in forums for any known issues
      • BCM (~5 mins)
      • RFA (~20-30 mins)
      • DC/DC (~5 mins)
      • FHCM (~5 mins)
      • DDM (~5 mins)
      • DSM (~5 mins)
      • HVAC (~5 mins)
      • PDM (~10 mins)
      • RGTM (~5 mins)
      • ACM (~10 mins)
      • DSP (~5 mins)
      • TRM (~5 mins)
*You won't usually see updates for all of the modules at the same time (unless you've had your truck for a while and this is your first time using FDRS), but if multiple updates are available, I generally perform them in the order I listed above.

**Best practice is to "Rerun Network Test" (key on/engine off) after each module update and ensure there are no errors/codes - all modules should be green. If modules aren't initialing or testing clean, perform self tests, clear codes, then retest.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Aside from the fact that I have never heard of this, I don't see how this would work since you are required to cycle the ignition on and off between updates. FDRS is fairly dummy proof. There is no reason to be timid about jumping in and doing the updates yourself, imo.

Off topic, but just wanted to post a follow-up regarding the battery cut-off switch I installed. It was super easy to do and even easier to use. I should have done it sooner.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 20241009_144206
Sponsored