First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Leaving the frunk open for an extended length of time will always require you to manually close it.
It seems like that's something they could fix, though. The vehicle has the sensors to know that I'm sitting in the driver's seat, the vehicle is turned on, and I'm pushing the frunk button. Hopefully, anyone who's in the driver's seat and not absolutely smashed or incredibly high will notice. aaahh, the frunk is open! Just like I'm responsible for not running over any kids as I back out of my garage, you'd think a driver could be grown up enough to get a frunk close request honored. But maybe they figure it might be a different driver than the person who originally opened the frunk and left whatever lying around inside or hanging out of the frunk. But you could apply the same argument to whatever might be outside the garage behind the truck: make the driver circle the truck and call Ford for approval to back out of the garage! :)

I managed to carelessly lower my tailgate while parked inside the garage with the door closed. If Ford is going to be extra careful about the frunk, I'd like more monitoring on tailgate openings. I probably accidentally swiped the tailgate button with the Controls pop-up screen open in FordPass. Would be nice if the sensors could take a quick read of what's behind the truck, figure out that there's a solid wall close by, and refuse to lower the tailgate. That's the sort of smart vehicle behavior I'd like to see.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It seems like that's something they could fix, though. The vehicle has the sensors to know that I'm sitting in the driver's seat, the vehicle is turned on, and I'm pushing the frunk button. Hopefully, anyone who's in the driver's seat and not absolutely smashed or incredibly high will notice. aaahh, the frunk is open! Just like I'm responsible for not running over any kids as I back out of my garage, you'd think a driver could be grown up enough to get a frunk close request honored. But maybe they figure it might be a different driver than the person who originally opened the frunk and left whatever lying around inside or hanging out of the frunk. But you could apply the same argument to whatever might be outside the garage behind the truck: make the driver circle the truck and call Ford for approval to back out of the garage! :)

I managed to carelessly lower my tailgate while parked inside the garage with the door closed. If Ford is going to be extra careful about the frunk, I'd like more monitoring on tailgate openings. I probably accidentally swiped the tailgate button with the Controls pop-up screen open in FordPass. Would be nice if the sensors could take a quick read of what's behind the truck, figure out that there's a solid wall close by, and refuse to lower the tailgate. That's the sort of smart vehicle behavior I'd like to see.
Agree with that. I was only pointing out how it works, not defending it. 😆

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
I'd be great if this addressed the situation where:

Your car is in park. You open the frunk. You close the frunk, but BEFORE it is fully closed, you put the vehicle in drive. This causes all sorts of issues and the frunk gets stuck. Requires manual intervention most times.
Yep, and it also happens if you open the frunk while your truck is locked, close it, but before it has fully closed you unlock the truck by grabbing the door handle. The frunk will just stick where it is. Absolutely infuriating and should not work that way.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Would sure be great if it would let you close the frunk with the button even if the doors are locked
Wondering how you get to the button if the doors are locked?
Open window?
Still in the cab with the doors locked?

EDIT: Oh you mean the outside button under the frunk...nevermind.

I can never get that button to work and have to resort to my key FOB.

Last edited:

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I can never get that button to work and have to resort to my key FOB.
For me it works 100% if the doors are unlocked. But there are very common scenarios where I want to close the frunk without unlocking the doors first. Maybe going to return the shopping cart, maybe just dropping some stuff in the truck and going to a different store, etc.

I am slowly training myself to also unlock the doors when I use the fob to open the frunk while approaching. But it's annoying to have to do that, and as noted above, not always what I actually want to do.
Sponsored