• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
What version of FDRS are you using? Are you still seeing this issue?
He drove over to me a few days ago and I updated the BCM for him, but I have a dealer login so I was able to circumvent the issue.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Oh, wait! I mixed the names up! @Gimme_my_MME He's the one I updated because of the same issue. @pkirby11 was another member I helped with something else.

@jlcreasy Very nice meeting you folks! Feel free to reach out to me anytime.
Truly - sounds like you and Jesse should set up shop updating trucks. May be a lucrative living out there.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Truly - sounds like you and Jesse should set up shop updating trucks. May be a lucrative living out there.
He's Batman and I'm Robin in this relationship, and I'm not leaving Miami and I'm sure he's not leaving TX, so I doubt that'll happen. lol

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
He's Batman and I'm Robin in this relationship, and I'm not leaving Miami and I'm sure he's not leaving TX, so I doubt that'll happen. lol
I haven’t needed him with tools in person but I know where he is located and it’s good to know he is in TX.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Just fired up FDRS again to see if there were new updates relating to the BC 1.3 business, and I see several modules have a "GVMS Warning". I clicked on one of them in the list at the bottom of that screen and it popped up a dialogue box saying it had opened an As-Built Assistance request for me. Hm, hope that doesn't waste too much of someone's time...

But what's the deal with this? What does a GVMS Warning really mean and why would I have them for several modules simultaneously right now?

Screenshot below - all the modules with the \\\\ across their names are in "GVMS Warning" state.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Screenshot 2024-07-11 181544

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
After setting up and using FDRS for the first time, I found a "Getting Started With FDRS..." YouTube video by a lifelong Ford owner who goes by Ragnar.Kon on YouTube. I wished I'd watched his YouTube video before starting out myself! Lots of good advice in the video. His Bosch dongle is in the category, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!"

The main bad thing about his video is that he uses a Noco Genius2 battery tender as his "power supply." A genuine power supply or a very big backup battery is a good idea for a Lightning.

Last edited:

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
After setting up and using FDRS for the first time, I found a "Getting Started With FDRS..." YouTube video by a lifelong Ford owner who goes by Ragnar.Kon on YouTube. I wished I'd watched his YouTube video before starting out myself! Lots of good advice in the video. His Bosch dongle is in the category, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!"

The main bad thing about his video is that he uses a Noco Genius2 battery tender as his "power supply." A genuine power supply or a very big backup battery is a good idea for a Lightning.

I wonder if the ICE vehicles can get away with a smaller backup supply. An ICE F-150 has an 80 Ah battery compared to our 35 Ah.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if the ICE vehicles can get away with a smaller backup supply. An ICE F-150 has an 80 Ah battery compared to our 35 Ah.
That's why I qualified my remark about his "power supply" recommendation with comments to the effect that his recommendation (a Noco Genius2 battery tender) wouldn't do "for a Lightning."

If I ask Google Gemini what size power supply vehicle electronics technicians typically use for ECU programming, the answer comes back that technicians typically use power supplies that can provide from 5 to 20 amps, but the requirements are really vehicle-specific, and more could be required depending on the equipment requirements of the vehicle or the complexity of the programming task.

Here's what Microsoft Copilot says about a battery tender (like the Noco Genius2 the YouTube guy uses) vs. a true programming power supply. The Genius2 only supplies up to 2 A, too. So, I'd say his recommendation is marginal, at best, even for an ICE vehicle with an 80 Ah battery.

When it comes to providing power for module reprogramming, there are two main options: battery tenders and power supplies. Let’s break down the differences:

1. Battery Tenders:
  2. Power Supplies for Reprogramming:
    • Purpose: These power supplies are specifically designed for module reprogramming.
    • Voltage Calibration: They allow you to set the output voltage precisely to match the OE-recommended voltage target (e.g., 13.7V).
    • Current Support: Unlike battery chargers, they adjust their current output based on system demand. They can provide up to 100A on demand, ensuring sufficient current for reprogramming2.
    • Recommended: For reliable reprogramming, use power supplies like the PRO-LOGIX PL6100 or PL6800, which meet or exceed the highest current requirement among the makes you service.
In summary, battery tenders are for general battery maintenance, while power supplies are essential for successful module reprogramming. Choose wisely based on your specific needs.
UPDATE: Noco Genius2 tech specs:

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1720913042831-5i

Last edited:

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The Lightning draws a lot more current while updating modules with FDRS than an ICE truck, too, because the entire cooling system runs the whole time. My truck drew 42A for more than an hour and blew up a 40A bench power supply while updating the IPMA.

One relatively affordable option for a supply that can actually deliver 40-50 amps at 12-15V for hours on end is this 75A Powermax charger/supply - Powermax is a reputable brand of power converter used in RV applications, and if they say 75A they mean 75A. This is basically one of their RV converters with a carry handle, jumper cables, and a built in voltmeter for convenience.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
One relatively affordable option for a supply that can actually deliver 40-50 amps at 12-15V for hours on end is this 75A Powermax charger/supply
The thing that probably still differentiates this cheaper charger alternative from a true power supply is that with a power supply, you can set the voltage you need to maintain and the power supply will maintain the line voltage within 0.1 V, i.e., it functions as a line conditioner, whereas a charger, unless it has a "supply mode" option, does not.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The Powermax converters have both 3-stage programmed charging and fixed voltage modes. Changing back and forth is a little unintuitive (the same trim pot that sets the fixed voltage also sets the bulk charge voltage for 3-stage mode) but it's easier on the "charger" models due to the built-in meter.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
I reread most of this thread and can't find a reference. Has the BCM update issue been resolved?
Sponsored